starting strength gym

Thread: self coaching

Default self coaching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip; I would like to know your thoughts and advice on those of us who do not have constant access to a coach in real time. Yes I have done the online coaching, and it did help somewhat. Going to come to a seminar and or make a pilgrimage to a starting strength gym to spend some time with an SS coach in near future . In the mean time I have been self coaching my lifts, reading the books and video taping my lifts for self critique. I also always watch your podcasts and keep trying to learn. Many of us I am guessing do their best to self coach in between online coaching and seminars. What is your advice and thoughts on us out here trying to fly solo?

Thank you for all you do
    Tom
    Canada

Video all your sets, and be honest with yourself about what you see. That's the primary problem with self-coaching. The books were designed to be used by individuals trying to learn the material. They have been under constant revision since the inception, and I think they serve their purpose for people who will use them correctly. But this turns out to be a minority of people, so coaching is usually necessary. See you at a seminar.

...yes looking at booking a seminar for this coming summer.
    Thank you

Any plans for a seminar in San Diego anytime this year?

Don't know yet.

starting strength coach development program
    As someone who's been going at it alone thus far, never stop scrutinizing your form. When you go "ok, I think I've got the hang of this now" and stop worrying about it, you'll suddenly fine 50 pounds later that you're not doing it right anymore. Form creep is a sneaky bitch. Reread the blue book often. Sometimes just a sentence you didn't quite absorb in there before makes a world of difference.