starting strength gym

Thread: Dead Lift with Knee Brace

Default Dead Lift with Knee Brace

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any anyone deadlifted with a hinged knee brace before? I'm having trouble dragging the bar past the hinge pivots as is comes up past my knees.

I'm doing LP to rehab from a MCL tear and it is working! My knee actually feels better on days after lifting than on regular days and the doc says the ligaments are getting stronger. I'm focusing on form at these lighter weights but I'm not sure about banging the bar over the brace.

Has anyone seen a sleeve or the like to wear over the brace?

Special thanks to Dr. Rip for the wisdom of weak knees, work them harder. It really does work!

If your knee is so unstable that you cannot pull a rehab deadlift without the brace, then wear the brace. Is it actually this unstable?

I don't know, I don't think so. I don't use the brace all day but do in the gym mostly out of concern of twisting it by accident on some of the equipment. I finish my lifting week today at 170, may I'll try no brace and see. If it causes problems then I still have two days to recover before starting again on Saturday.

This could be a suck it up buttercup thing, but it's the only right knee I have, hahaha.

I’m wearing a hinged knee brace for most activity at the moment while recovering from a meniscus injury. While there is probably 0 benefit to wearing one while deadlifting short of an earthquake causing knee cave, like you, I’m largely wearing one because I’m concerned about tripping, stumbling, slipping on ice etc -anything that night cause twisting.

Anyway, I successfully deadlifted this morning with really no issue from the brace with the exception of taking care not to catch the bar on the top of the brace when descending, but maybe mine is not as bulky as yours? I’m wearing a “Shock Doctor”, which is an entirely hokey name, but came highly recommended from multiple sources and I can confirm that it does perform as intended and is confidence inspiring.