starting strength gym

Thread: Jonathon Sullivan MD PhD SSC: Pain Management

Default Jonathon Sullivan MD PhD SSC: Pain Management

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Doc:

Exceptional article. Did you advise taking the Tylenol and NAISD consistently regardless of the day (i.e. training day vs. non training day). I wonder about masking more serious pain that may occur during training. Your thoughts?

They're analgesics, not supplements. If you have pain, treat it. If you don't have pain, you don't need to take these meds, and taking them prophylactically is not recommended. These medicines will not mask pain in a way that makes you, say, miss an injury. If you're on tylenol for a strained shoulder and you tweak your back on the dead, you'll know you tweaked your back on the dead. They're not anesthetics.

Hopkins must have no experience with either pain or aspirin to ask an odd question like this.

My initial question was poorly worded. Here's what I meant to ask: I'm dealing with serious hip pain (the kind that keeps you up at night). I'm continuing to train through it. If I take the Tylenol and Ibuprofen protocol as doc recommended, I'm concerned I might do more damage and not feel the severity of an additional injury due to the meds. Hope that clears things up. Perhaps the consistent pain has clouded by cognitive abilities.

I wish they worked that well. You know they don't. If a chunk breaks off of your acetabulum, aspirin and Tylenol is not going to keep you from feeling it.

starting strength coach development program
    What great perspective!
    - Aches and pains are part of the package
    - You are not broken
    - Stay ahead of the pain