starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing the program right?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thank you. Does this book regurgitate many points in your other two books? Or are they required reading before the 'After 40' book?

If we publish a new book, it is not a repeat of an old book.

I couldn’t imagine how fucking annoying it must be to continuously reply to these posts. How are you not sure you’re doing the program when it is explicitly laid out in the books? Just do what the book says if you want the shit to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If we publish a new book, it is not a repeat of an old book.
    Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I couldn’t imagine how fucking annoying it must be to continuously reply to these posts. How are you not sure you’re doing the program when it is explicitly laid out in the books? Just do what the book says if you want the shit to work.
    I'm sure it's tiring, but it's not quite as clear as you make it out to be (see below). There is conflicting information out there.

“add 10lbs to the squat the first 2-3 times it’s performed, 15-20lbs to the deadlift the first couple times, and 10lbs the next several times it’s performed. After that, jumps become 5lbs per workout.”

Starting Strength Training Programs

“For most male trainees with good technique, the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout, assuming three workouts per week for two or three weeks.”

Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Ed. (304)

Are you confused, Mr. Frazier?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you confused, Mr. Frazier?
    No, sir. I read and re-read the articles (3 Questions, A Clarification) and identified the errors that I was making when attempting to DTP. I'm making adjustments in my diet (I need to eat way more.) as well as adjusting the increases I'm attempting to make each workout (Going to 5lb jumps instead of continuing to attempt 10lb jumps.). Just trying to defend myself, and any others like me, who, unlike many others that post here asking for advice, are actually trying to DTP. I know you guys see, and are tired of seeing, posts where people have been "doing the program" for months without actually making any semblance of an attempt to DTP. I just want to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, seeing as they may be in the same boat as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I'm sure it's tiring, but it's not quite as clear as you make it out to be (see below). There is conflicting information out there.

“add 10lbs to the squat the first 2-3 times it’s performed, 15-20lbs to the deadlift the first couple times, and 10lbs the next several times it’s performed. After that, jumps become 5lbs per workout.”

Starting Strength Training Programs

“For most male trainees with good technique, the squat can be increased 10 pounds per workout, assuming three workouts per week for two or three weeks.”

Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Ed. (304)
    :roll eyes: let's put it in a way you can understand. You might be able to add 10lbs per lift, or even a bit more on deadlifts until you can't do so anymore. Assuming that your technique is good and the first 3 questions have the green light, then you go on to adding 5lbs every lift, until you can't and then you micro load until you can't. Once you get stuck, reset a couple of times, and/or move to 3s. Once that doesn't work, then the fun days are over and you need to become an intermediate.

Nobody can tell you exactly when the point of stuckness will be reached, nor at what weight. None of us know if you are actually conforming to the first 3 questions, nor if your technique is sound. No one here is being awkward, we just can't tell you what we don't know. All this stuff is in the books and mirrored on this website. It might not be obvious to you; your comprehension might not have been accurate, but it is all set down clearly enough for the vast bulk of us-even those who skip read-to get the basics of what is necessary.

If you can't understand it, then you need to hire a coach, just as if someone gives you a pattern to assemble a flat-pack that is beyond your abilities, then you need a joiner. None of us can fill in for your ignorance, or skill level, it's down to you to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post

vs

Were you puzzled by the second quote that omitted instructions for the deadlift? Were you concerned about whether the program always includes the deadlift, since it was omitted from that sentence? With all that has been written about our programming, I had assumed it had been sufficiently discussed. How can I clear up this confusion?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I knew by the second sentence that you weren’t doing the program correctly as would anyone who had read SSBBT with any care especially the part about getting started.
    case to elaborate, or are you just going to make a statement without any evidence to explain what your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I can't imagine how fucking annoying it must be (actually, I can) to post on a board asking for advice and have some asshole like yourself come on and post a useless comment that doest help. If you know so much why not share what knowledge you have and tell me why my questions were so fucking annoying, and if it was so annoying why bother taking the time to reply?

And the the guy who said I'm not doing it right because I messed up with the squat the second workout and started a little too heavy, you can't correct that, decrease or deload and go lighter and then continue to make constant progress after that? It's all or nothing at the beginning, huh? So anyone learning has to get it perfectly right from day one? I started out a little too heavy. I reduced the weight and since then have been making progress per since. I've gone up 5-10lbs on each exercise ever since in the last month after sorting out my squat, and here is the progress I've made in the last month, and still to continue to increase the weight. So again to all the superior, know it alls who seem to have all the information here, but are quick to shit on and criticize but won't be specific, what's am I not doing right here?

1 month:

Increased my body weight 15lbs (185-200)
    Increased my squat by 35lbs (195-240)
    Increased my press 30lbs (105-135)
    Increased my bench 25lbs (205-230)
    Increased my deadlift 60lbs (225-285)
    Introduced the power clean the third week, now up to 170)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast