starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I doing the program right?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Were you puzzled by the second quote that omitted instructions for the deadlift? Were you concerned about whether the program always includes the deadlift, since it was omitted from that sentence? With all that has been written about our programming, I had assumed it had been sufficiently discussed. How can I clear up this confusion?
    The confusion, for me, came from the differences between suggested jumps each workout between the two sources (three 10lb jumps vs. six to nine 10lb jumps). As a result, I got greedy and added 10lbs longer than I should have. This resulted in me getting 'stuck' on my deadlift really, really early in my NLP. Way before I should have ever gotten stuck. That's all.

In retrospect, I should have gotten in contact with a SS coach sooner. I probably wouldn't have gotten 'stuck'. I'm working with a SSC from FiveX3 in Baltimore now, and I'm much more confident in my ability to DTP. The only issue I'm battling now is nutrition related. Hope to have that sorted out in the next week or two.

Thanks!

Got it. Currently working my way through it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Thank you. Does this book regurgitate many points in your other two books? Or are they required reading before the 'After 40' book?
    Mapalos: I suggest getting SS 3rd Ed and read the hell out of it. Then, when you have gone through it several times, get The Barbell Prescription which is great because addresses the unique considerations for older lifters. But SS 3rd Ed is mandatory to get the most out of the Barbell Prescription.

Practical Programming is excellent but is best understood when your training g advances further. But get it. You will need it but maybe not now.

They do not regurgitate. They build on each other.
    I think the money I spent on these books have been the best money I have spent (other than getting my wife drunk on our second date but that’s another story)
    So much value there.
    And no exaggeration, these are among the best strength training books ever written. In fact I have used some pages of SS 3rd Ed as a textbook for explaining moment arms, center of mass, etc. to my kids in high school.

Disclosure: I have no monetary or financial interest I plugging the books. Just a guy who learned a shit ton from them.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Tommy. I only asked the question because with some published books like this (mark Sisson comes to mind) there's a TON of overlap. Appreciate your response.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Mapalos: I suggest getting SS 3rd Ed and read the hell out of it. Then, when you have gone through it several times, get The Barbell Prescription which is great because addresses the unique considerations for older lifters. But SS 3rd Ed is mandatory to get the most out of the Barbell Prescription.

Practical Programming is excellent but is best understood when your training g advances further. But get it. You will need it but maybe not now.

They do not regurgitate. They build on each other.
    I think the money I spent on these books have been the best money I have spent (other than getting my wife drunk on our second date but that’s another story)
    So much value there.
    And no exaggeration, these are among the best strength training books ever written. In fact I have used some pages of SS 3rd Ed as a textbook for explaining moment arms, center of mass, etc. to my kids in high school.

Disclosure: I have no monetary or financial interest I plugging the books. Just a guy who learned a shit ton from them.
    I was thinking about this thread and wanted to offer a suggestion (that's probably been offered before, and I've not seen).

It seems that SS is increasing (effectively) it's social media presence. That's a large part in how I found this. That means others will too. Others who are clueless, like I am and quite frankly, not very good at this stuff right now, as I'm starting out. I'm making tons of mistakes, even if I'm doing my best to DTP. As folks like me increase in number, would it make sense to have a separate forum, for beginners only. Zero threat of other more experienced lifters getting sick of reading the same questions over and over. And zero threat of the new person feeling shitty about not being very good, and wanting some (patient) guidance. Hell, make it a pay only forum...I'd pay $10 for 3 months, or whatever, to share beginning experiences and grow with some others.

Of course, this means that Rip has to pay to create a new room, etc. And probably pay one of his coaches (or multiple, so they can rotate) to monitor the room and answer questions. It should NOT be a complete substitute for getting a coach to watch your form (I'm doing that with Pete T), reading the book (ordering now), or attending a camp (doing 4/4/20 in TPA).

Again, just a thought, as SS ultimately becomes more popular.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123