starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing the program right?

Default Am I doing the program right?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started a little over a month ago. Bonked on the squat my second workout, reloaded and started eating a ton and have been making progress since. Took a couple extras days of rest to get on a M-W-F schedule. Skipped a workout on 12/17 because I was sick and went back 2 workouts when I got back to the gym the following Monday.

I'm 6'2" tall, started at 185lbs, now weigh 202. 43 years old.

Eating 3,500-4,000 calories a day. eating around 220g protein/day, 400g carbohydrate, 75g-100g fat.

My legs are definitely weaker than my upper body, but trying to fix that with this program.

The hardest part so far has been getting all those calories in every day. Lots of beef, chicken, fish, eggs, 2% milk, fruit, oatmeal, veggies, rice and pasta and sometimes some whey protein.

Am I doing the program right?

So what specifically am I doing wrong?

I'm eating a ton. Lifting on a M-W-F schedule, gaining weight, increasing each time I'm in the gym (except for when I was sick and repeated the two previous workouts).

I don't know. I'm not your coach, and I can't see your training log. But the things you can do wrong are discussed in the two articles. Did you read them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know. I'm not your coach, and I can't see your training log. But the things you can do wrong are discussed in the two articles. Did you read them?
    I posted my training log, age starting weight, diet, etc.

Did you read the articles?

I knew by the second sentence that you weren’t doing the program correctly as would anyone who had read SSBBT with any care especially the part about getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Legs View Post
    Bonked on the squat my second workout, reloaded and started eating a ton and have been making progress since.

I am certain this has been asked, but I am not sure where or how to correctly find the information on the site. Is there a similar set of guidelines and/or general expectations for a 45yo male beginner that was laid out for the 25yo beginner in the article?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you read the articles?
    I have. And I've also read SS and read Practical Programming. Thanks for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I knew by the second sentence that you weren’t doing the program correctly as would anyone who had read SSBBT with any care especially the part about getting started.
    Yes, a large Red Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I am certain this has been asked, but I am not sure where or how to correctly find the information on the site. Is there a similar set of guidelines and/or general expectations for a 45yo male beginner that was laid out for the 25yo beginner in the article?
    The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 – The Aasgaard Company

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast