starting strength gym

Thread: Need Some Advice

Default Need Some Advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Some advice would be welcome from anyone who might have encountered this situation when training others.

I am coaching and training some Special Olympians two of whom keep wanting to bend their elbows near the top of the deadlift. Both are fairly new to training with one having trained for a couple of months with me and the second just starting to get the foundational basics from his team coaches.

The first is high functioning and receptive to what I ask him to do and demonstrate in correcting his departures from the Starting Strength models for the lifts. Not perfect yet, but working toward better as he goes along. Last week I even even tried wrapping his elbows with wrist wraps to cue him to not bend them. It didn't help. He's not stubborn, he just seems unable to alter his current practice.

The second is significantly lower functioning but is very eager to please. I was just invited to assist his coaches last week and met him for the first time yesterday.

As mentioned, both cannot seem to get the idea that their arms are only there as "hooks and levers" (sort of) to stabilize the bar on it's upward path.

Does anyone or can anyone offer any tips on how I can help them fix this?

Have them "pose the triceps" during the pull. Like a bodybuilder.

Hm. Worth a try. This is likely to appeal to the first guy better given his higher function.

Thanks.