starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Will, if you look up quick you might still get a glimpse of the joke going over your head.
    Nah, man, I got the joke. I think it would have worked better if you had said “Lime Disease”, but that’s neither here nor there.

I was making my own joke, because Lyme Disease is a running joke among clinicians. CROL can be seen on medical documentation or in correspondence between clinicians because no matter what is wrong with someone, you can’t rule out Lyme.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Nah, man, I got the joke. I think it would have worked better if you had said “Lime Disease”, but that’s neither here nor there.

I was making my own joke, because Lyme Disease is a running joke among clinicians. CROL can be seen on medical documentation or in correspondence between clinicians because no matter what is wrong with someone, you can’t rule out Lyme.
    Ok, fair enough. I missed your joke but shouldn't have...I have couple people in my life who SWEAR they have lyme. Of course they also swear by things like essential oils and colloidal silver.

...you (Rip) were saying something about how the 'hard sciences' were the only thing worth pursuing a degree in or something?
    Did that list include the pharmaceutical sciences?

As it races to treat patients infected with the new coronavirus, the Chinese government is seeing potential in a cocktail of antiviral drugs. It is also recommending the Peaceful Palace Bovine Pill, a traditional Chinese medicine made with the gallstone of cattle, buffalo horn, jasmine and pearl.

There is no known cure for the coronavirus that has sickened more than 28,000 people and killed 563 in China. The country’s National Health Commission says doctors should try treating patients mainly with a combination of Western drugs used to treat HIV and fight viruses, depending on the severity of illness.

But the government is also looking at ways to supplement the treatment with remedies that are integral to its national identity — traditional Chinese medicine. It has its supporters.

“I think it is the correct approach,” said Cheng Yung-chi, a professor of pharmacology at Yale University School of Medicine. “The evidence is going to come and we have to give it the benefit of the doubt.”
    In coronavirus, China weighs benefits of buffalo horn and other remedies

The hard sciences can be worth pursuing, but only if you are vigilant enough to understand when the "peer reviewed literature" is actually political or bureaucratic bullshit.

Traditional Chinese medicine is promoted heavily by the Chinese government, and many top university doctors who should know better also believe in it. This situation are troubling to be sure but not new, and I can assure you the situation is much worse here in China. I have yet to meet a Chinese doctor here who is not in full support of TCM, and I’ve met nearly a hundred at this point.

A lot of these medicines contain an active ingredient buried amongst a list of plants as long as your arm, though, so someone seems to know it doesn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Traditional Chinese medicine is promoted heavily by the Chinese government, and many top university doctors who should know better also believe in it. This situation are troubling to be sure but not new, and I can assure you the situation is much worse here in China. I have yet to meet a Chinese doctor here who is not in full support of TCM, and I’ve met nearly a hundred at this point.

A lot of these medicines contain an active ingredient buried amongst a list of plants as long as your arm, though, so someone seems to know it doesn’t work.
    Seems like there is some kind inferiority complex aspect to it.

Like: "if I deny TCM, I'm turning back on my culture and nationality."

Chinese medicine was mostly popularised by Chairman Mao in the 1950's, mainly because he didn't have enough doctors. Probably because he killed them all in the cultural revolution.

Mao’s support of Chinese medicine was inspired by political necessity. In a 1950 speech (unwittingly echoed by the Senate’s concerns about “providing health care to underserved populations”), he said:

Our nation’s health work teams are large. They have to concern themselves with over 500 million people [including the] young, old, and ill. … At present, doctors of Western medicine are few, and thus the broad masses of the people, and in particular the peasants, rely on Chinese medicine to treat illness. Therefore, we must strive for the complete unification of Chinese medicine. (Translations from Kim Taylor’s Chinese Medicine in Early Communist China, 1945-1963: A Medicine of Revolution.)
    Slate sucks but here is the link.

Chinese medicine is a blight on the world. It seems the more endangered the animal, the more likely it is to make your d*ck hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Legs View Post
    Only a few hundred people have died worldwide from this strain of coronavirus, while there have been at least 10,000 deaths from influenza, with 19 million people getting the flu and an estimated 180,000 being hospitalized with the flu, yet people still won't get a flu shot. These are the same people freaking out about coronavirus.
    Are there any numbers on how many of the people who died and 180,000 hospitalized who did get the flu shot? Oh, and I did not get the flu shot and am not freaking out about the coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcp157 View Post
    Are there any numbers on how many of the people who died and 180,000 hospitalized who did get the flu shot? Oh, and I did not get the flu shot and am not freaking out about the coronavirus.
    Yes, there are. However, the only hard data that's collected is for children (explained in the articles linked).

"From July 2010 through June 2014, 358 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported among children aged 6 months through 17 years. Vaccination status was determined for 291 deaths; 75 (26%) received vaccine before illness onset. Average vaccination coverage in survey cohorts was 48%. Overall VE against death was 65% (95% CI, 54% to 74%). Among 153 deaths in children with underlying high-risk medical conditions, 47 (31%) were vaccinated. VE among children with high-risk conditions was 51% (95% CI, 31% to 67%), compared with 65% (95% CI, 47% to 78%) among children without high-risk conditions."

Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Against Pediatric Deaths: 2010–2014 | American Academy of Pediatrics

"As of April 19, 2019, a total of 186 pediatric deaths had been reported to CDC during the 2017-2018 season. This number exceeds the previously highest number of flu-associated deaths in children reported during a regular flu season (171 during the 2012-2013 season). Approximately 80% of these deaths occurred in children who had not received a flu vaccination this season."

Summary of the 2017-2018 Influenza Season | CDC

starting strength coach development program
    I think it’s more that Chinese doctors tell you to drink a pungent mix of herbs when you have a flu for the same reason that American doctors tell you to apply sunscreen every day, even if it’s overcast and you’re spending the day indoors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast