starting strength gym

Thread: Post scoliosis surgery and partial paralysis.

Default Post scoliosis surgery and partial paralysis.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there, I’m posting in search of information for my friend. She is 28 years old. Fourteen years ago she had her spine partially fused and metal supports and pins installed to correct her scoliosis and unfortunately her spinal chord was nicked leaving here with some partial paralysis. As a result she has one side of her body that is vastly stronger than the other side of her body. She’s been exercising for about a year now, doing stretching, Pilates, and some very minor weight training. I’ve suggested to her that she try whole body compound movements, but she is dead set on unilateral training in order to work on her weak half in preparation for possibly doing bilateral in the future. So really we’re looking at two things

1. Concern for the gear in her spine and how heavy movements might effect it and ;
    2. What is the best way for her to address the huge imbalances in her physiology

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone could direct my to someone they think might have particular knowledge for this rare case. Thank you.

If she performs a symmetrical deadlift, what is the weak side doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Stongman View Post
    Hi there, I’m posting in search of information for my friend. She is 28 years old. Fourteen years ago she had her spine partially fused and metal supports and pins installed to correct her scoliosis and unfortunately her spinal chord was nicked leaving here with some partial paralysis. As a result she has one side of her body that is vastly stronger than the other side of her body. She’s been exercising for about a year now, doing stretching, Pilates, and some very minor weight training. I’ve suggested to her that she try whole body compound movements, but she is dead set on unilateral training in order to work on her weak half in preparation for possibly doing bilateral in the future. So really we’re looking at two things

1. Concern for the gear in her spine and how heavy movements might effect it and ;
    2. What is the best way for her to address the huge imbalances in her physiology

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone could direct my to someone they think might have particular knowledge for this rare case. Thank you.
    This, though rare, is not unheard of. Doing isolated unilateral work is not going to help. But, you aren’t going to convince her of that. If she is dead set on doing that, that is the end of the search for a better way. I’ve dealt with perhaps a dozen other people with an end state that is similar to what you described.

The hardware is not a concern. Her ability to train to a level that she could snap titanium rods is not the concerning issue. The fact that this surgery occurred fourteen years ago and she started training one year ago is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If she performs a symmetrical deadlift, what is the weak side doing?
    She doesn’t have the strength to perform a deadlift, she’s tried. Her weak leg is too much of a limiting factor. Another limiting factor is her ability to bend over enough, which may be related to simply not having the strength once her body mass becomes non vertical. She’s unable to perform a body weight squat for the same reasons, not enough strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This, though rare, is not unheard of. Doing isolated unilateral work is not going to help. But, you aren’t going to convince her of that. If she is dead set on doing that, that is the end of the search for a better way. I’ve dealt with perhaps a dozen other people with an end state that is similar to what you described.

The hardware is not a concern. Her ability to train to a level that she could snap titanium rods is not the concerning issue. The fact that this surgery occurred fourteen years ago and she started training one year ago is a concern.
    You may have hit the nail on the head. I spoke with her again about it and she seems convinced she knows what she is doing. It’s a little frustrating, her apparent certainty, but it’s her choice. I overstepped a little with the hardware concerns. Turns out she agrees with you on that account. All that being said, I’ll still take any information I can, to perhaps use at a later date.

Did you have success with any of these people?

Quote Originally Posted by Stongman View Post
    She doesn’t have the strength to perform a deadlift, she’s tried. Her weak leg is too much of a limiting factor. Another limiting factor is her ability to bend over enough, which may be related to simply not having the strength once her body mass becomes non vertical. She’s unable to perform a body weight squat for the same reasons, not enough strength.
    That wasn't really my point, but you're telling us that this poor woman, cannot deadlift a 10kg bar off the pins in a power rack set at her mid-shins? Does she use a walker, or a wheelchair?

I wasn’t there for her attempt. I’m not sure what size bar she used. This is all the information I could gather from her. I know, not a lot to go on. I can’t picture her being unable to do a 10 kg bar from mid shin. I’ll assume your recommendation is to do whatever it takes to allow for symmetrical movements, at least for the deadlift.

My recommendation is that you leave this woman alone. She's going to be a pain in the ass, and she's not interested in ideas she needs to think about.

starting strength coach development program
    Noted. Thanks for the input.