starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #42: Homeschooling: Apprenticeship for Adulthood

Default SS Radio #42: Homeschooling: Apprenticeship for Adulthood

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

For those of you who are interested in homeschool, read Teach Your Own by John Holt and Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto. Nothing really groundbreaking at this point, but these two books especially helped tremendously in organizing/confirming my thoughts early on when things started getting serious for us in the school vs home decision.

Given the economics of all of this, aren’t private school alternatives to “government schools”actually cheaper - and potentially higher quality - than home schooling? I think it just comes down to wealth, quite honestly, and the vast majority of folks are going to need public education - and *that’s* why we shouldn’t abandon the struggle for *good* public education.

I've been talking to some of my clients about their kids' education and my teenage lifter about their experience, and they reported similar complaints as you covered in the podcast. Having personally gone through K-12 education feeling constantly hindered and trapped, I think I'm going to look into homeschooling when the time comes.

Thanks for doing this episode.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I think that you and Nick need to rethink this. Let MSNBC show you the way:

An alternate view

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Given the economics of all of this, aren’t private school alternatives to “government schools”actually cheaper - and potentially higher quality - than home schooling? I think it just comes down to wealth, quite honestly, and the vast majority of folks are going to need public education - and *that’s* why we shouldn’t abandon the struggle for *good* public education.
    You are exactly right.

That is why there are many people, including well-known athletes, who have been pushing for legislation to allow money that would normally go to a government school to be transferred to a private, charter or technical school of the student's choice.

However, homeschooling can be the most beneficial option in many cases.

And we do need to abandon the push for a "good" public government education, because the very nature of the government makes it incapable of providing a good education regardless of the time, effort and funding put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    ... the very nature of the government makes it incapable of providing a good education regardless of the time, effort and funding put into it.
    THIS is the core article of faith around which many in a certain slice of American politics form all the rest of their opinions. In reality "government" is very open construct that human beings have been trying to get right since we have existed as a species - or, at the very least, since we have organized ourselves in groups larger than a few dozen. IF you want all the benefits of such organization, you are going to have to also participate in the effort to improve things as a member of a collective -- you often are not going to like it and you will do a lot of cursing, but the alternative is, at its heart, A LIE.

Now, grow up, pay your taxes, argue for your candidates, vote -- and live with the outcomes until you can vote, again. You are one amongst many and you are fundamentally not an island sufficient unto yourself -- that is so, no matter how much it sometimes sucks.

(Don't get me wrong, in reality, I think there is often an intense beauty in our coming together for a common cause. And I count several public school teachers as tremendous positive influences in my life and largely unsung for their daily heroism. But I also know any human system is messy as shit and I still reserve judgement on the overall "goodness" of our species...)

My wife and I both attended public school and are both children of public school teachers. We made the decision this year to move our kids from public school to a university model school where they spend two days a week in a small classroom setting (about 10 kids in each class) and the other three days home schooling. It would be difficult to explain how liberating this decision has been for our family and how much more time we have together as a family now that we're not enslaved to the government system. And two years ago I was adamantly against home schooling because I bought many of the arguments discussed in this podcast - primarily socialization and "we're not qualified to teach them." I've now done a 180 and couldn't imagine going back.

I will say that one of my biggest hangups was sports, because I played sports in high school and considered it an important part of my life. We do have some limited options such as cross country and soccer, and I hope to one day suggest a weightlifting club. But I had to come to the realization that it would be illogical to keep our kids in an inferior learning environment because of the possibility that one day they might play high school sports.

I also find it interesting that so many in the barbell community are proponents of home schooling. I suspect that the same critical thinking that causes us to reject the conventional fitness wisdom has the same effect vis a vis public schools.

"It is only from a special point of view that "education" is a failure. As to its own purposes, it is an unqualified success. One of its purposes is to serve as a massive tax-supported jobs program for legions of not especially able or talented people. As social programs go, it's a good one. The pay isn't high, but the risk is low, the standards are lenient, entry is easy, and job security is still pretty good. ...In fact, the system is perfect, except for one little detail. We must find a way to get the children out of it."

– Richard Mitchell, The Leaning Tower of Babel [1984]

starting strength coach development program
    An additional gripe I personally have with the shit pile that is "government schools" is that if you talk to your admins about making more money they will tell you "go back to school and get your masters". Great, just what I need! $15,000 more in debt only to teach myself a bunch of shit as a professor blindly grades my work. Colleges and Universities offer all of these programs to get a Masters Degree online and you are practically teaching yourself. Bunch of horse shit. If for one second it was feasible for me to go back to school and be taught in person by intelligent and inspiring professors that ACTUALLY teach me I would 100% do it in a heart beat. But for fucks sake I can't even remember 99.6% of the crap I learned for my bachelors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast