starting strength gym

Thread: Programming the trap bar deadlift

Default Programming the trap bar deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I am now required to perform a trap bar deadlift for a set of three as part of an employment required fitness test. The max score is 405 pounds for a triple.

In theory, this is a once a year test. In practice, I am subject to a pre-test, "practice tests", random mock tests, and/or general administrative fuckery that results in my needing to do this effectively on demand as part of a greater fitness test throughout the year.

My back squat fluctuates around 315-335 pounds and conventional deadlift from 405-455 pounds depending upon time of year, travel schedule, injury status, etc. I'm in my late 40s and weight between 190-210 pounds depending upon what is going on.

Due to the aforementioned administrative fuckery, I can't just blow this off and train up for it once a year as that would make too much sense.

I also don't want this screwing with more productive uses of my limited training time.

Should I throw in, and I feel dirty even saying this, a few sets of trap bar deadlifts once every two weeks? Or do you think I can get away with doing it once a month assuming I just squat (2x per week) and deadlift (once per week) the way I do currently?

My main concern is that I don't want to risk getting hurt doing this crappy lift during my evaluation and screwing up the rest of the test.

I see no reason to train it at all. And I see no reason to practice it either. If someone forces you to load a trap bar and pick it up, do it. You'll be fine.

Tomskarda, I'm assuming you're talking about the ACFT, and if so, the following information should leave you less concerned.

According to the Initial Operation Capability Manual for the ACFT, the max score for the "3 Repetition Maximum Deadlift" (the hex bar) is 340 pounds (not 405).

Just as an aside, weigh the trap bars you’re using. Do not assume they are 20kg/45lbs.