starting strength gym
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Industrial Complex and Vaccines

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    All due respect to the OP, maybe I'm missing your points, but here's how I'm reading them:

Flu vaccine: 40 to 60% effective, so why are healthcare workers required to get it?
    Hep B vaccine: It may not have worked for your wife, so why get it?
    HPV vaccine: It prevents potentially deadly complications from a common STD, so why get it?

Other than oblique references to autism (which was "supposedly" linked to MMR, not any of these 3), I have not seen any argument as to why someone *wouldn't* get these vaccinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    All due respect to the OP, maybe I'm missing your points, but here's how I'm reading them:

Flu vaccine: 40 to 60% effective, so why are healthcare workers required to get it?
    HPV vaccine: It prevents potentially deadly complications from a common STD, so why get it?

Other than oblique references to autism (which was "supposedly" linked to MMR, not any of these 3), I have not seen any argument as to why someone *wouldn't* get these vaccinations.
    Cool. So you and your family get em. Zero issue there. But why have hospitals like the one I work at mandate flu shot? Why should I get lambasted when we have a child to stick em with hep b or HPV for my teenage daughters? I’ve read the info on em and do not see salient reasons to get em.

MMR, Polio, DTAP, etc. YES! Please!

No vaccine is 100% effective. There will always be people who either did not generate a protective response or cannot take the vaccine due to allergy or immunocompromise. The way that we protect those people from disease is by preventing it from spreading in the population. Public Health. The fact that a vaccine is not 100% effective is evidence that there needs to be broader coverage of the population not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    ...but for many vaccines to work, it must be a concerted effort that gets participation from nearly all of the population.
    I understand what you’re saying here, but vaccines work on individuals, not groups. Eradication works on groups (I know you were saying this.)

My point is, if individual responsibility and choice is a driving philosophy, then get vaccinated and don’t give a fuck about others who contract preventable diseases. Watch them die around you. Live and let die.

I’m being dramatic, but I agree with you. It’s just the colossal silliness of people being upset over vaccines is one of the more fascinating social media (and it IS social media) trends I think we’ll collectively bear witness to.

I’m left really wondering what the point of OP’s post was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Cool. So you and your family get em. Zero issue there. But why have hospitals like the one I work at mandate flu shot? Why should I get lambasted when we have a child to stick em with hep b or HPV for my teenage daughters? I’ve read the info on em and do not see salient reasons to get em.
    Who owns the hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post

The Hep B vaccine may very well have worked on his wife assuming she is healthy.. Google: anamnestic response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post

MMR, Polio, DTAP, etc. YES! Please!
    I agree that there are some vaccines that are optional for those who have risk factors. Optional is optional, and shouldn’t be mandatory. But unfortunately your only choice is to do it or find another job.

I conceal carry and have never been in any kind of trouble. But I know in my state (a shall issue state) if a pub says no guns I run the risk of being asked to leave. They have that right and I have the right to go to a different pub.

Of course there are differences in that example and your experience, but still there are people who have quit chick-fil-a because they close on Sundays.

If that’s their thing, fine. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who owns the hospital?
    Hospital Corporation of America owns the particular one I usually work at as a vendor.

I imagine the hospital wants to limit the chances that staff expose immuno-compromised patients to influenza.

As far as HPV...well, not getting cervical cancer seems like a good reason to get your daughters vaccinated. But that's just me.

starting strength coach development program
    Final thoughts on this subject as I reflect...

I surely hope those of you who went pretty snarky and nasty in your replies have put your money where your mouth is on this issue.

Meaning...Are you current on all YOUR vaccines? Booster shots? Flu shot? Hep B? How about DTAP? I’ve personally witnessed two families lose an infant to pertussis. So I am gonna just take at face value that you all are current and are 100% certain that you are good to go here. Again those of you with the nastiest of comments for sure.

I’m impressed with the intensity this topic has generated. So again, assure me you are taking this as serious as you did the comments from earlier!

Again this was not a troll type message. I thought it fit perfectly as a follow up to topics like homeschooling, statin usage, and prostate cancer/PSA testing. Just didn’t quite notice you lackeys busting Rip’s balls when those topics were lofted up for discussion. All good though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I understand what you’re saying here, but vaccines work on individuals, not groups. Eradication works on groups (I know you were saying this.)

My point is, if individual responsibility and choice is a driving philosophy, then get vaccinated and don’t give a fuck about others who contract preventable diseases. Watch them die around you. Live and let die.

I’m being dramatic, but I agree with you. It’s just the colossal silliness of people being upset over vaccines is one of the more fascinating social media (and it IS social media) trends I think we’ll collectively bear witness to.

I’m left really wondering what the point of OP’s post was.
    I’ve stated it NUMEROUS times man.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast