starting strength gym

Thread: Pin firing for shoulder pain?

Default Pin firing for shoulder pain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coach. I was very ill for a while last year, and during the months I was out of training (in which time I lost around 26lbs) my shoulder started to develop some chronic pain. I suspect it has to do with mild scoliosis I have, but regardless, since getting back into training it hasn't improved again (I'm squatting more than double bodyweight again, deadlifting over 500lbs, bodyfat around 13-18%).

The main time when it hurts is during a bench press. It starts on the lower part of the concentric phase, then hurts mostly throughout the eccentric phase. I can also elicit the pain by emulating that movement of my elbow behind my body without weight and while sitting upright. It's difficult to pinpoint where exactly the pain is, but it feels like it's coming from inside my shoulder and it's sharp. Also it bothers me during sleep. I've been using linear progression to recover my lifts, but my bench is sticking due to pain, while all my other lifts go up.

In the past I fixed elbow issues using your pin firing protocol and fixed a lat insertion issue using another healing protocol of yours (starting high rep low weight). They all worked amazingly well. I'm wondering what protocol you would suggest for my shoulder -- if any -- and which movement to do it with?

"My shoulder hurts" is not a diagnosis. In the absence of a diagnosis, I can't suggest anything.

Fair enough. Unfortunately I don't have the money to see a doctor right now and I'm sure as hell a good way away from being able to pay for an MRI. I'm afraid my only recourse is to try solve it myself.

With some more research, I've come to the hypothesis that I have rotator cuff tendonitis from poor sleeping habits. Bench press and any incline press make it hurt more. Presses and chins feel fine. I don't think there's a tear because there was no injury event as such; just irritation.

After going through many threads on this on the site, I've seen that presses and chins are good rehabilitation and to stop benching until the pain goes away. With a hypothetical assumption that I'm correct in my hypothesis, what would be the more specific hypothetical protocol that you'd recommend in addition to what I mentioned? For example the amount of weight and volume, how many times a week, etc.

If the press doesn't hurt, train it normally.

Noted. Thankyou kindly!