starting strength gym

Thread: Conditioning for 56 y/o Female

Default Conditioning for 56 y/o Female

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

Another consequence of working this program is the continued curiosity of my mother. Well… I finally got the call: “What’s the name of that book you follow?” Thus, another blue book was sold.

I also directed her towards Barbell Prescription and I picked up a copy for myself. I skipped much of the how to and was trying to hone in on the highlights of how programming for older novices can vary from that of younger novices.

I am curious about conditioning for older novices. She's been training now for 3.5 months and has expressed an interest in conditioning. I've absolutely preached my heart out about not letting it affect the lifts and she has agreed she will introduce it slowly (starting with once or twice per week and ramping up rather than going all out).

Is there are any alternate conditioning exercises for the prowler (low volume, high intensity). I have recently put Prowler work into my workout and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Unfortunately the shitty little gym my mom uses has the bare minimum she needs (and not even that as I had to buy her .25 – 1 lb plates for micro loading the press). I don’t even think it has a row machine. Small town, no other options.

What conditioning exercises can mimic the intensity of a prowler? Are stair masters good? Her gym is so shitty that she's considering just spending a couple grand and putting in a nice home gym (for my stepdad and for when I'm home). How much space would we need for a prowler? She lives out in the country so there's plenty of yard space, but can you put a prowler outside in the grass without fucking up the yard?

Prowler has to be used on a hard surface, either pavement or carpet installed on a slab. A rowing machine is her best option.