starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt on the deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yeah, that's true. OTOH, I find I can cinch one down tighter, easier, and faster and release it but keep it on between short interval rests between sets as on Dynamic Effort days. Anyway, I haven't noticed that big a variation on my gut from session to session to need to change it.

My belt tension varies all the time, between warmups and work sets, and between work sets. I've never even thought about a lever belt. Just a powerlifting fad.

SBD makes a lever belt that can be adjusted without tools. I got it for USAPL Nationals last year because my Best belts were no longer on the IPF-approved list. It is secure and easy to adjust.

I have been struggling with Belts and the DL for years. I always struggled to get into perfect position on the first rep but it wasn't until an SS coach pointed out that my 4inch Best Belt was a likely culprit. Now, I love this belt like a child and am reluctant to change it up and am even more reluctant to start carrying around 2 different massive belts that refuse to fit into a gym bag/locker.

Wearing the belt higher on the waist (Konstantinov style) caused multiple instances of intercostal injury before I gave up. Some bros have said if you add in more core strength training you won't need a belt altogether, because you are able to get tighter. I have seen heavy DLs done without a belt, but it's just never worked for me.

2 weeks ago I had the invention of fire discovery that I could wear my belt backwards, with the sole goal of a more correct starting position. Removing that extra thickness caused by the buckle, retainer and tail excess was either just enough to help or at least added some kind of psychological benefit. I guess my question is - how retarded does all this sound?

The retarded part is that you don't seem to understand that you will learn to love your new 3-inch belt like a new child, because it will work better immediately. You don't need a 4-inch belt for anything. Get a 3, and you'll understand what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The retarded part is that you don't seem to understand that you will learn to love your new 3-inch belt like a new child, because it will work better immediately. You don't need a 4-inch belt for anything. Get a 3, and you'll understand what I mean.
    That's what I was afraid of. The order has been placed. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If I’m a long torso goon who can correctly set lumber extension with a 4 inch belt, am i better off with the 4 inch belt?

I find 4" is nice on press movements. I use both 3" buckle and 4" lever. Nothing wrong with a 3" on the press either, but I just prefer the 4" with the lever-maybe it's in my head, but I've achieved higher PRs when I swapped back to using it. The only downside of the 4" lever is that I can't use it on anything but the press. I've only adjusted the lever mechanism twice-once when I gained weight, the other when I lost it, no big deal. 3" buckle belt is the most adaptable go to belt if I had to choose only one, but I don't.

I have low ribs and high pelvis, I cannot get into a DL position with a 4in. The time I did on a heavy DL, I jacked up something around my lowest rib. I use a 3in suede Best Belt . Looking at the Dominion leather belts and contemplating.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    If I’m a long torso goon who can correctly set lumber extension with a 4 inch belt, am i better off with the 4 inch belt?
    Maybe. Try both and see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast