starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt on the deadlift

Default Belt on the deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Mark,

Just curious what your thoughts are on Deadlifting with a 4” belt. I’ve heard its hard to properly set the back using a 4” belt and that a 3” is more appropriate for deadlifts. I’m thinking that it’s probably BS but what do you think? Thanks

Thank you sir !

I've found a good quality 3" belt also works fine for my squats.

Disclaimer: I've found since reading the books, digging around on the SS and Grey Steel websites and following the program in the gym that I know very little. Old does not always mean wise so take my advice with caution.

That's all I wear anymore. I have 3 Dominion belts, all are excellent.

There isn’t as much options that ship to Canada. I was looking at the Rogue Ohio 3” the only thing is that I am currently overweight and I plan on getting rid of some stomach fat before investing a couple hundred bucks. There seems to be a wide variety here of the Olympic style belts that are 4” in the back and taper down to 2-3” where they buckle in the front. What do you think of these style belts for Deadlifts for the time being? I will definitely invest in a good quality 3” when the time comes but I definitely need to cut some weight first.

Quote Originally Posted by Danis View Post
    There isn’t as much options that ship to Canada. I was looking at the Rogue Ohio 3” the only thing is that I am currently overweight and I plan on getting rid of some stomach fat before investing a couple hundred bucks. There seems to be a wide variety here of the Olympic style belts that are 4” in the back and taper down to 2-3” where they buckle in the front. What do you think of these style belts for Deadlifts for the time being? I will definitely invest in a good quality 3” when the time comes but I definitely need to cut some weight first.
    You can punch another few holes in a belt if you buy the smallest you can buy. It's false economy to buy a taper belt, just get the dominion or any other good quality 3" single ply. One thing you learn in this sport is that sooner or later you will want different and better. One pair of lifting shoes will become 2 (one for deadlifts). A 4" lever belt comes in handy once the body weight has stabilised for the pressing movements. If you start down the road of make-do, you will fling away a lot of money for no good reason on equipment which really isn't up to the job of getting you strong. Buy once.

Having seen some disparagement of lever belts in the past, I'm curious. What is the down side with them?

starting strength coach development program
    It takes tools to change the tension.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast