starting strength gym

Thread: Trap Bar Rage

Default Trap Bar Rage

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Rip,

Great butcher podcast, really enjoyed it. I live in Exeter, Devon (UK), home to one of your favourite breed of cows, so I’m blessed with a plethora of fabulous local butchers and delicious meat. It’s great to see you supporting local butchers who work extremely hard and do a great job.

I need to share this one with you quickly before I scream. Exeter is also home to one of the world’s best rugby teams, Exeter Chiefs. They play Northampton Saints tomorrow in the elite division.

I was just in the sauna and four huge powerful men were in there along with a small guy and it quickly dawned on me that it was the Northampton rugby team. After some pleasantries and banter, I asked them the question I was itching to ask the second I realised who they were.

“Do you guys use the trap bar for deadlifts?”

The small guy replied “Yes”.

With my Starting Strength hat on I asked him:

“Do you think the trap bar is inferior to the barbell because it’s very unstable at lockout and the grip width can’t be customised potentially causing injury?”

His reply:

“No mate, the trap bar is a great piece of kit and the lads get bored doing the same exercises over and over again, so it’s good to give them a bit of variety. A deadlift is a deadlift at the end of the day”.

I asked that guy what position he played in the team. His reply:

“strength and conditioning coach”.

Jesus CHRIST! I know this isn’t exactly new news to you Rip, but I have a question:

How does someone like me in the UK who is a huge Starting Strength fan but not a strength training professional ie. a “nobody” (even though I look the part - 5 foot 11, 230lbs, 17% body fat, 1RM deadlift 585lbs) make any kind of inroads whatsoever conversationally with someone who IS in the strength training profession at the elite sport level when he is so clearly wrong and stupid?

Although I’m delighted that I own a much superior information set than that guy regarding strength training which I feel smug about and hugely grateful to you for, I still found the above episode incredibly depressing. What chance has the common man got who genuinely wants to improve his strength when such a myriad of horrendous information dominates the industry?

Very best regards,

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    How does someone like me in the UK who is a huge Starting Strength fan but not a strength training professional ie. a “nobody” (even though I look the part - 5 foot 11, 230lbs, 17% body fat, 1RM deadlift 585lbs) make any kind of inroads whatsoever conversationally with someone who IS in the strength training profession at the elite sport level when he is so clearly wrong and stupid?
    You don't, Robin. Neither can I. Wrong combined with stupid is a powerful force, almost insurmountable.

I’ll go to the steam room in future.

And fingers crossed that Northampton lose tomorrow and blow their discs out so I can mail a barbell to the club with a canned laughter machined glued to the knurl for the attention of their “Strength Coach”.

Thanks for the reply Rip, much appreciated, have a great weekend!

Very best,

Robin.