starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the hip thrust is a waste of time and space.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Don't do it on the fucking platform though.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingoDeFranc View Post
    I'm of the firm opinion that the hip thrust/weighted hip bridge is an exercise that's been popularized by how lazy our population is. That is, people do not want to do the hard work of a squat, lunge, or deadlift to effectively target and shape their glutes. Unfortunately, every time I try to argue this point some bozo likes to point out that I'm not an 'exercise science professional' and that some guy named 'Brett' says hip thrusts are number one for the butt, or something like that. It'd be nice to have a solid rant available to refer these people to, think you wanna help out with that Rip? Or is the mass popularity of 'hip thrusts' a good thing for the fitness community and I'm just being overly critical?
    I know "Brett" claims greater glute activation and all that happy horseshit, but its such an odd movement that i cant its a stimulus that our body recognizes as something worthy of adaption. Squats and deadlifts build the body because, in large part, because of the insult to spinal integrity that occurs when the spine is properly and heavily loaded. This causes an adaptation to occur that, frankly, weirdo isolation movements, cant do. SOME people, esp gifted bodybuilders respond to every stimulus, which is why they can use seated machines for exercises and grow (see Phil HEath's workout videos for a great example) but for most people, I do not believe that "hacking" the body with weird movements that isolate and cause a muscle to "fire" (LOL) can cause meaningful gains in strength or hypertrophy.

Load the barbell and reap the rewards. Everything else is silly bullshit. Unless you're extremely gifted, in which case everything works.

I'm of the firm opinion that the hip thrust/weighted hip bridge is an exercise that's been popularized by how lazy our population is. That is, people do not want to do the hard work of a squat, lunge, or deadlift to effectively target and shape their glutes. Unfortunately, every time I try to argue this point some bozo likes to point out that I'm not an 'exercise science professional' and that some guy named 'Brett' says hip thrusts are number one for the butt, or something like that. It'd be nice to have a solid rant available to refer these people to, think you wanna help out with that Rip? Or is the mass popularity of 'hip thrusts' a good thing for the fitness community and I'm just being overly critical?
    Why do you argue with these people? Someone immediately willing to defer to authority isn't going to have an independent thought on the topic. You can't use logic as a tool against someone who doesn't respect logic.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

All this air humping is a bit of an epidemic. If anyone is to take a walk through any gym (that's not a training facility), one would see an astounding amount of thrusting being done.....even valuable gym real estate specifically devoted towards hip thrust equipment. And apparently, no one is hip to why some guy might want to propagate his invention. Can't be too surprising when a place like five guys becomes america's favorite burger.
    This is quite possibly the most cogent observation in this thread. I mean dead-as-balls accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrover View Post
    squatting will do that just fine.
    I know this, you know this, but most young ladies don’t know how to progressively overload a correct low bar back squat. The low bar squat is being narrowcasted and the hip thruster is being broadcasted, plus its simple and easy. If it makes a gal’s butt bigger without much effort then i can’t hate on it.

Soule, the correct squat is being broadcasted. It is just being received narrowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Soule, the correct squat is being broadcasted. It is just being received narrowly.
    Fair point Senor Rippetoe. Plus, its hard. Thrusting your hips up repeatedly is easy, depending on who is watching.

I always find it interesting the great lengths people will go just to not do the simple, hard thing. Hip Thrusts are incredibly annoying to perform from a logistical standpoint. You have to use the little pad thing, get in and out from underneath the loaded barbell sitting on the ground, load it, get back underneath. Annoy everyone else in the gym depending on where you choose to set it up. Its just silly. Just Squat.

I think hip thrusts are great. Since my gym only has two places to squat, I'm happy to watch the trainers teach people to a host of things, none of which involve the squat cage. I do so dislike waiting to train, so win/win for all.

starting strength coach development program
    All this air humping is a bit of an epidemic [...] valuable gym real estate specifically devoted towards hip thrust equipment.
    I don't think it is still called "air"-humping when loaded with a barbell.
    And quite frankly, in the type of gym you are describing, this real estate would probably be filled with nonsense anyway. At least the hip thrust is a rather heavy barbell exercise that involves quite a lot of muscle mass. And whether the gym chose to put that in or some guided glute isolation machine, it's not going to be for you nor me, so why care so much?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast