starting strength gym

Thread: Strength to not do PT

Default Strength to not do PT

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

I am a 28 year old male considering switching to career in law enforcement. I have been going through the Starting Strength program for a few months and my goal is to get strong enough that normal law enforcement PT becomes easy so I don't have to do that stuff to do well on a PT test. One person on the starting strength forum posted and discussed in a video that he was a police officer who did Starting Strength for a year (no running), did the PT test and had no issue with it. I wanted to ask, people on this forum and Mark if he wants to chime in, based on your experiences working with military and law enforcement, what level of strength I should shoot for (and maybe just people in general) to make standard PT stuff (pushups, situps, other calisthenics, distance running, etc.) easy going into a law enforcement academy. Would you all recommend I shoot for exact numbers (e.g. 405 squat, 150 press, 455 deadlift) or as a percentage of body weight (e.g. 2.5x body weight deadlift, 1x body weight press, etc.)

Here is where I am at:

Weight: 185
    (1RM)
    Bench: 210
    Press: 135
    Squat 330
    Deadlift: 395
    (Assistance)
    Chinups: 12-13
    Dips: 15

The last time I self-tested the law enforcement PT test was several months ago and my numbers were:
    45 pushups
    60 situps in 1 minute
    52 second 300 meter
    11:00 1.5 mile run

Any recommendations you could give would be helpful. Also if you have similar recommendations for people going into the military, hopefully others will find that helpful as well.

Best regards,
    C.

Get your bodyweight up to 200, your squat to 405, deadlift to 500, bench to 275-300, press to 185, clean to 220, and you'll be where you need to be for the PT numbers to max.