starting strength gym
Page 94 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 448492939495961041441945941094 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Do Bruno and Lazygun care for the unhealthy and perform their bureaucratic paid for employment duties with only the naked bodies they were born with or do they use tools, tech, wear clothes, travel to work etc built / made by the endeavours of businesses small and large (many of whom will not economically survive this train wreck). They are the epitome of no skin (or spine) in the game yet opine and pontificate what others should do and sacrifice. Shameful, cowardly, dishonourable.
    I know you are attempting an insult here, but I found this post to be hilarious. How much nonsense and unfounded accusations can you possibly fit into 3 lines?

First, I was unaware of the bureaucratic duties associated with my job. Do I work in administration, am I a politician? I work with, diagnose, and treat patients directly; i.e I am literally on the front lines of this in the hospital. Suggesting that I have no skin in the game is interesting. What are you going to say when PPEs are rationed (increasing risk of infection to myself and other colleagues as well as the patients we treat) as the hospitals overflow. How much more "skin in the game" do I need? On top of that we are even going to be asked to work outside of our chosen specialty as needed. Oh wait, even though my job is safe, other people that I know aren't so lucky. I literally just got off the phone with my mom 5 minutes ago and gave her an offer to help her with any bills she has over the next several weeks/months. Then again, I must only be thinking about myself during this time.

BTW, the description of the business endeavors you listed above would be classified as essential, and those businesses stay open. I personally don't want to go to work and have to triage who gets a vent as is currently happening in many hospitals right now. Given your reluctance to adhere to the current recommendations, please allow these decisions to be easier and refuse a vent for yourself if you were to wind up hospitalized for any reason in the upcoming months, covid-related or otherwise. Please allow the resources to be used for those you potentially infected if you want to talk about cowardliness and honor.

I swear, even though it may not seem like it, I did laugh when I read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post

Japanese particularly, are far more hygenic. ..., no outside clothes worn inside, ...

Have you ever been to Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Yes, the government will never allow us back outside of our houses again. Obviously tinfoil is still available at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just an FYI, this is the same blog that claims "rainbow Doritos" are a gateway to homosexuality! Fucking fantastic stuff that group publishes. You might as well be publishing articles from "the onion". However, this particular group wants to be taken seriously and these particular articles aren't written as satire.

Want to know what gay tastes like? Try Rainbow Doritos!

This is the last of this shit I will approve.

Very concerning.

"That's not all: banks also must take steps to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing, a process that would normally take weeks, the sources said. Additionally, banks are concerned they could face regulatory penalties or legal costs down the line if things go awry in the haste to get money out the door. But at the same time they are worried they will be blamed for not moving funds fast enough if they perform due diligence the way they would under normal circumstances, the sources said.

Then there is the mandated interest rate on the loans: community banks said the Treasury’s guideline interest rate of 0.5% will be unprofitable, and that many small banks will not have sufficient liquidity to front up the loans (this, as we said yesterday, may have been a primary consideration for the Fed to release Treasuries and deposits from the Supplementary Leverage Ratio test, effectively opening up over $1 trillion in additional loan capacity across the US banking sector).
    "

"
    One source said banks are also seeking a written assurance from the government regarding their legal liabilities and obligations before they agree to participate in the program.
    "

Of course the banks will not make the loans if they will lose money by doing so. Of course the banks won't make the loans if it is illegal to do so under the Dodd-Frank liquidity requirements. Of course the banks require a legally binding commitment from the government beforehand, because otherwise they will be prosecuted when this is all over.

The problem is in the letter of the law in the 1,000 page bill. The strategy seems to be: bury the banks in an impossible amount of paperwork, with obscure provisions and penalties, then refuse to back the loans when a provision is inevitably overlooked or blame the big bad rich when they don't want to lose money by participating in the program or move slowly enough that they can read and comply with the law.

And to be certain they can create a political wedge from this crises, they are giving rule-writing and oversight responsibilities to the SBA, which they know does not have the employees, server space (website will crash repeatedly) or systems required to handle such a large program. Then, as a further measure designed to prevent success of the program, they allocated $350 billion on a first come, first serve basis when they know the program would require at least $1 trillion.

Thank your congressional house majority leader. No crises going to waste.

On another note: Has anyone found Huang YanLing 黄燕玲 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    I know you are attempting an insult here, but I found this post to be hilarious. How much nonsense and unfounded accusations can you possibly fit into 3 lines?

First, I was unaware of the bureaucratic duties associated with my job. Do I work in administration, am I a politician? I work with, diagnose, and treat patients directly; i.e I am literally on the front lines of this in the hospital. Suggesting that I have no skin in the game is interesting. What are you going to say when PPEs are rationed (increasing risk of infection to myself and other colleagues as well as the patients we treat) as the hospitals overflow. How much more "skin in the game" do I need? On top of that we are even going to be asked to work outside of our chosen specialty as needed. Oh wait, even though my job is safe, other people that I know aren't so lucky. I literally just got off the phone with my mom 5 minutes ago and gave her an offer to help her with any bills she has over the next several weeks/months. Then again, I must only be thinking about myself during this time.

BTW, the description of the business endeavors you listed above would be classified as essential, and those businesses stay open. I personally don't want to go to work and have to triage who gets a vent as is currently happening in many hospitals right now. Given your reluctance to adhere to the current recommendations, please allow these decisions to be easier and refuse a vent for yourself if you were to wind up hospitalized for any reason in the upcoming months, covid-related or otherwise. Please allow the resources to be used for those you potentially infected if you want to talk about cowardliness and honor.

I swear, even though it may not seem like it, I did laugh when I read your post.
    1) I said you AND Lazygun. I thought the separation between your healthcare and bureaucratic duties was intuitively obvious.

2) Who pays your wages which enables you and your mom to eat food and buy pills? The taxpayer. Yet you willingly put the very foundation of what pays you AND others - the economy - at wildly disproportionate risk to the situation from a position of job security whilst arrogantly claiming job status hierarchy. Healthcare workers are not the centre of the universe, nor does their job constitute first place on the podium if one was pompous enough to go around comparing the merits of each person’s occupation. Law enforcement and armed forces take that spot (yes they get fixed if sick / injured, but not all of them are sick / injured at the same time. They are the first line of National Defence when meta issues arise).

3) Who said I was not adhering to the current recommendations? Where is your evidence for that?

4) I’ll have the hero’s medal and awards ceremony arranged for you for being nice to your mom. Nobody has ever been nice or kind to their parents before in the history of humanity.

5) You personally don’t want to go to work - why not? It’s interesting to note that other retired healthcare professionals have come out of retirement and volunteered to go to work. Says a lot about your level of commitment and care about the duty of REALLY wanting to help others when faced with risk. Probably your main motivation for taking the job was the paycheque and the job security and the pension above the core desire to “healthcare”. Like I said - you are cowardly and dishonourable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    COVID-19 is much more infectious, so more staff have to take contact and droplet precautions for a longer time, which has lead to desperate shortfalls in PPE. COVID-19 is also more consumptive of ICU resources; for example, mechanical ventilation lasts 11-21 days (NY average, per Cuomo) rather than 3-4 days for the flu. This leads to correlated failures; for example, because the PPE situation is so bad, aerosolizing procedures have been avoided in favor of "early venting", which accelerates the usage of ventilators beyond what would be anticipated.
    Pure speculation. Do you know how the current ICU strain compares to a typical bad flu season? Since a bad flu season's effects usually go underreported by the media it's hard to tell, but what we have found is that in multiple countries (including Italy and Britain) with supposedly advanced and competent healthcare systems, a worse-than-average flu season consistently pushes them to breaking point.

The strain on ICU resources may be a fact, but it does not warrant shutting down the country unless every bad flu season also warrants shutting down the country.

I follow-up to my last point, from Peter Hitchens:
    Podcast - ‘In this lockdown, dissent is a moral duty’

[Parliament] could, if it insisted, I think - and if it had any kind of leadership - it could insist on continuing to sit, just as it could have opposed the action or indeed subject it to anything remotely resembling scrutiny. But it just folded up and stole away in the night. All the institutions of civil society which are supposed to protect us did the same thing. Not a single one - not the judiciary, the human rights lot, the civil service, the media, Parliament, Her Majesty's Opposition, and public opinion in general - all simply failed to do their jobs. We demonstrated, in fact, that we don't really have a civil society any longer. And what shocked me, having spent such a long time in the old Soviet Union - of course, in the Soviet Union it was clear that there was only one official point of view and that people were indeed being pushed around in many ways, although I don't recall them ever being compelled to stay at home. And there was at least a pretense made of having a legislative body as well. But the point that strikes me here is that under the Soviets' rule, particularly in the Eastern European countries, but also largely in Russia, most people regarded it with a certain amount of contempt, and made jokes about it, and realised that they were being mocked and fooled. In this case, the population accept what they're being told without any question. It's extraordinary. The old USSR would have loved to have had a population like the current population of the Western world and our population here in the United Kingdom, which actually genuinely believes the propaganda and does what it's told. They're told the chocolate ration has gone up when in fact it's gone down and they'll believe it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Right now it is possible to cherry-pick all manner of "data" to make pretty much any case you like. The numbers will settle and converge over time. Everyone reports things differently and on a different timetable. Public health data is a mess and needs to be cleaned.
    Is it really that hard to take some random population sample and test for antibodies to get a good estimate regarding the spread of the virus?