starting strength gym
Page 1055 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 55555955100510451053105410551056105710651105115515552055 ... LastLast
Results 10,541 to 10,550 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Well, if they are vaccinating the terminally ill, then it would stand to reason there would be a certain level of mortality following the inoculation.
    And if they are giving the terminally ill COVID-19, it stands to reason that people are dying "of" COVID-19.

And if they are giving the terminally ill COVID-19, it stands to reason that people are dying "of" COVID-19.
    Statistically speaking, and depending on the picture one wishes to paint, yes. Though an mRNA vaccine doesn’t “give” anybody anything except instructions for configuring the immune system. So I’m not sure what you mean by “giving”? Are you implying the vaccine is “giving” people SARS-COV-2?

Also, don’t forget the context free PCR cycle threshold, so symptom free and non-contagious individuals can be counted as “cases”.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    2- We just experienced the biggest gaslighting campaign claiming YUGE and blatant election fraud and everyone involved is a complete piece of shit simply looking for a new way to get paid pretending to be the good guys.
    I am beginning to lean this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This just does not compute for the Covid believers.

Quote Originally Posted by No insect View Post
    Actually a reasonable article. When it comes to diseases that are not catastrophic, i.e. not like ebola, this is what could happen. Some people are immune from the beginning, some are more or less unaffected, some get sick, and some are hit really hard. After this has has run its course for a while, and the bulk of the population is protected by vaccination, it could become like so many other diseases that are potentially harmful, but possible to live with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The survival rate is 99.97%. How can you people continue to ignore this basic arithmetic?
    Nevermind the insult. The survival rate was never mentioned, and the fact that it is not sky high is what is referred to by "When it comes to diseases that are not catastrophic".

It does not seem likely that the goverments around the world will back off until the number of hospitalizations go down significantly. Therefore the spreading must be stopped by vaccinations, regardless of the death rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Leify View Post
    When did I say chokes should be used as a first resort, or that you said it? I said cops shouldn't be choking people period. The article you posted isn't even about first resorts, it's about trying to ban the one exception where chokes were allowed: when deadly force is in use. If it's time to use deadly force, the officer better be drawing their service pistol because again, the extent of your average cops knowledge is from watching some MMA fights and that doesn't get you very far.

A safer alternative if things escalate to use of non lethal force is positional control and calling for backup if necessary. If you are choking someone, you can't handcuff them. With few exceptions, if you are choking someone, you do not have any free hands to defend yourself from other threats. Not that any of that even matters in the case of Floyd, since there were 3 officers on scene when Chauvin was surfing on his cervical spine. All that was necessary was for one officer to keep Floyd pinned with their knee on his lumbar and another officer to peel one of Floyd's arms at a time behind his back to cuff him, roll him over, and lift him up to get him in the squad car.

Police should learn to grapple on a basic level? Yes. Will they on their own accord? Likely not. And the number of mat hours needed to be competent in life or death situations and maintain that skillset it is probably too much for departments to want to adopt mandated training and eat into working hours, considering even MCMAP black belts are by and large trash after the hours they put in unless they continue to actually train outside of the military.

It's actually such an ineffective choke in fact that Cyborg has tapped multiple people with it in competition, including in the 2010 no gi worlds finals... Has worked fine for me for years too. It's possible Chauvin's knee wasn't causing breathing problems but go get one of your 200lb+ training partners to do it to you and get back to me; I'm not a fan personally. It's possible Floyd was being positionally asphyxiated. It's possible he was dealing with what many people deal with on their first days of grappling, panic breathing. It's possible he was having a heart attack and because some dude thought the back of his neck looked like a nice place to take a knee he didn't receive medical attention. But dead men tell no tales.

I'm not a cop. That said, there's some... interesting opinions to sort through here.

You are right that competition is different from real life. One of the chief differences is that competition is much more difficult because the other person typically knows what they're doing too. The stakes aren't as high, but believe me when I tell you that a street fight and competition can both illicit a similar adrenal response. And while I've competed a fair amount, the rules are whatever you want them to be in the gym if your partner is up for it. If you want to train with strikes, with simulated weapons, against multiple people you can. There's no one telling you what to do outside of a competition. I'm honestly not even sure what you're arguing here. Do you think cops have access to some secret method to prepare for violent arrests that make them any more capable?

In the context of a violent arrest, do you realize the following:

-You can be outnumbered and attacked by another person than the one you are dealing with whether you are standing or on the ground. The answer here is backup and/or disengage from the threats.
    -Committing either or both your hands to a choke, whether standing or on the ground, will inherently make you slower to react to additional threats.
    -Untrained people, cops included, end up on the ground in fights with such alarming regularity that you'd think that banana peels were scattered on the ground as soon as a scuffle starts.
    -Cops who end up on their backs need to be able to change that immediately because their service weapon is now much more accessible.

Fingertip grab of the trachea? That's the rape choke, man. You might as well add some pressure point strikes in the mix. Every single choke that works does so due to having a backstop opposite the compressive force, because otherwise there's nothing stopping the person from moving away from that force. Coincidentally, the ground works pretty well in this case. But to be honest, if you're gonna rape choke someone, it better damn well be to hold their head in place on the ground while you punch them because it takes a relatively long time for someone to go out from asphyxiation and you're in for a rough surprise if you think pain compliance works on everyone, especially when adrenaline kicks in.

None of those positions I mentioned are isometric holds and trying to squeeze and hold on makes them less effective. They aren't hard to learn and rely on proper body positioning, your bodyweight, and mean ol' Mr. Gravity. I've taught literal children how to achieve and maintain these positions.

I already addressed the training issue above but yeah, it would cost a lot of money to train cops at the level needed. Which is why it's probably a better idea for cops to focus on de-escalation and strength in numbers and since I doubt that ever happens I'd kind of just rather cops know what the fuck they're doing when it comes to restraining people.

There are 4 cops I have trained with regularly for years and a handful of others that have come and gone just like 90% of BJJ first timers in a city of 400k-500k people. I only know a handful more cops that train in other gyms spread throughout my area and I know a lot of people who train in the local scene. I probably know more firefighters that train than cops and I sure as shit know an order of magnitude more active duty or retired military who train than cops. I doubt there's nationwide stats available on this, but go ask a cop you know if they actively train in any combat sport outside of departmental training and how often. Then ask how many other officers they know do too. I think you might be surprised how low the numbers you hear back are relative to the size of the department.
    Can’t say I disagree with most of your points, except you missed the intent of my original post. This movement to ban chokes is based on a broad misunderstanding and ignorance and it’s probably going to carry over to civilians.

What’s going to happen when you use a choke to peacefully end a street fight and all of the sudden you’re facing attempted murder charges? This is bad for anyone who trains BJJ for self defense, not just police.

And who is more likely to shoot an unarmed person who is resisting arrest? A cop who can’t handle a physical altercation, or a cop who trains in submission grappling?

Yes deescaltion training and community involvement are important for police reform, but cops are still going to draw a firearm on unarmed suspects unless they have a broader toolbox and a greater sense of confidence in a physical altercation. Money is the problem, but maybe the solution is to spend more on training police and less on hiring copious amounts of PC bookworms who have never been in a fight before.

I’ve never seen that choke before, but the more I learn about BJJ, the more i realize that there is a LOT that I don’t know. I’ve had a lot of luck with this one from side control with the same grips: pull the head up with the nearside lapel, step over and wrap their head with the back of your knee, head on the mat like north/south, pull and ham curl.

It does not seem likely that the goverments around the world will back off until the number of hospitalizations go down significantly. Therefore the spreading must be stopped by vaccinations, regardless of the death rate.
    You really don't understand this. Not even a little.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Well, if they are vaccinating the terminally ill, then it would stand to reason there would be a certain level of mortality following the inoculation.
    Interesting thing. Hank Aaron was vaccinated two weeks before he died with great publicity at the time to encourage black people to do it. His cause of death has not been talked about.

You must not live in the US, because democrat governors are doing just that right now and have been advocating such backing off for two weeks now. To wit: Newsom, Cuomo, and Pritzker.

I think I may be channeling Will Rogers, because all I know is what I read in the newspapers.

For instance, Bidet has halted the Keystone pipeline.

How is this Build Back Better, especially when it cost the union jobs of the union bosses who supported and funded his campaign?

If this pipeline is a BAD THING why was it a GOOD THING for Bidet's son Hunter to be involved with and handsomely paid by a Ukrainian oil and gas combine?

If Trump was a bad President who it was asserted treated our adversaries well and treated our allies badly, then why is Canada so pissed at Bidet over halting the pipeline? Putin is happy, because it strengthens his control over international oil and gas supplies.

Since we're discussing Putin, let's review the last four years when dems and their pet media types claimed Trump was in his pocket. Yet Bidet has received praise from Putin for his extension of the nuclear arms treaty. So where is all the concern from the media over his getting cozy with Putin just now?

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    That is a good question.

Christianity in the States is tightly woven into "God and country", the whole country was a Christian Mecca for Christians around the world, even their currency has written on it "In God We Trust", it is in their laws and character, their charitable works were all over the world and it is no wonder folk from all around the world were trying to bust their way in.

"You are the light for the whole world. A city built on top of a hill cannot be hidden." Math 5v14.

In this dark world however it is not surprising that a country such as this would be attacked, even from the inside. You simply cannot have a country that stands for life and liberty on this globe when many peoples are living under some form of tyranny, the darkness wants to overtake it that is why the US is undergoing so much turmoil. How much more time we can shelter under this country I do not know, however I do know there is a new country coming.

“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind." Isa 65V17

"And His voice shook the earth then, but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heaven.” This expression, “Yet once more,” denotes the removing of those things which can be shaken, as of created things, so that those things which cannot be shaken may remain." Heb 12v26-27

"But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells." 2Pet 2v13

I just wish things were moving a little faster.

starting strength coach development program
    This one is particularly interesting, since New Mexico voted for President Biden by an 11% margin: Biden'''s pause on oil cause for big concern in New Mexico
    In related news, guess who is the world's largest manufacturer of solar panels?