starting strength gym
Page 1067 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 67567967101710571065106610671068106910771117116715672067 ... LastLast
Results 10,661 to 10,670 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    I heard a Democrat call in to Rush’’s show and he had an interesting idea

His point was human nature is a bell curve with the left on one end and the right on the other and he felt a third party under Trump could capture what I’ll refer to as the “big middle”.

His reasoning was that many dems hate the Republicans will therefore never vote Republican. He said same thing that many Republicans hate the Dems and will never vote Democrat.

I know he’s right so far.

He said that residual hatred would not exist with a new party that is fed up with both the “big two” parties. So a party like a Maga party or Patriot party is a possibility at this point in time.

I’m interested in what you all think about this idea
    Pareto's Law rules all human things. That being said, changes are made on the margins, and at the far ends of the normal distribution, not the middle.

TLDR
    Us people investing in GME do not give a fuck about the possibility of losing our stimulus checks.
    $600 isn't going to make a difference in anyone's life. Taking down the system might.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Can’t say I disagree with most of your points, except you missed the intent of my original post. This movement to ban chokes is based on a broad misunderstanding and ignorance and it’s probably going to carry over to civilians.

What’s going to happen when you use a choke to peacefully end a street fight and all of the sudden you’re facing attempted murder charges? This is bad for anyone who trains BJJ for self defense, not just police.

And who is more likely to shoot an unarmed person who is resisting arrest? A cop who can’t handle a physical altercation, or a cop who trains in submission grappling?

Yes deescaltion training and community involvement are important for police reform, but cops are still going to draw a firearm on unarmed suspects unless they have a broader toolbox and a greater sense of confidence in a physical altercation. Money is the problem, but maybe the solution is to spend more on training police and less on hiring copious amounts of PC bookworms who have never been in a fight before.

I’ve never seen that choke before, but the more I learn about BJJ, the more i realize that there is a LOT that I don’t know. I’ve had a lot of luck with this one from side control with the same grips: pull the head up with the nearside lapel, step over and wrap their head with the back of your knee, head on the mat like north/south, pull and ham curl.
    On a personal level, I'd probably almost never choke someone in a street fight. I think it's largely unnecessary and could incur increased civil or criminal liability. The only situation I would do so or advise to do so is if you're unable to control the person and can leave immediately after. People come to after only 20-30 seconds, and they're not going to be any more amenable after the fact. Hell, I usually feel like I've had a good nights sleep after coming to. So if your plan is to strangle someone once or twice a minute until the situation is under control, I would advise you to reconsider how that might work out, and what repeatedly choking someone unconscious would look like to outside observers or cops. And again, having to continually commit two hands to choking someone leaves you vulnerable.

For a cop it's not much different, but optics are arguably much more important, even if it seems cops are rarely liable for such things. It's not a good look when people start twitching and spasming after going out and it's definitely a bad look if they were having to continually choke the person. The narrow kind of situation I wouldn't have a problem with a cop choking someone is similar as well: if they can't control the person until backup arrives and they will be able to cuff and establish control in those 20-30 seconds of unconsciousness. I do think any cop that resolves a situation that's escalated to that level instead of shooting the person should be commended, I just don't have a lot in faith in the average cop to be able to do so safely, nor on the average cop of having the restraint to know when it's necessary. But it always comes back to training and the money needed for it, whether that's grappling, de-escalation, or whatever.

That choke is called the step over choke btw, but you might look up Flavio Canto, a Brazilian judoka who does his "Canto choke" from off his back and it's basically the same concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the stock market. Can someone explain why this Gamestop thing is a good thing? I've heard that Wall Street is corrupt, but how does this affect that?
    Graham (who has close to 3 million subscribers) explains this as good as anybody:

The GameStop Infinite Money Glitch Explained - YouTube

TLDR
    Us people investing in GME do not give a fuck about the possibility of losing our stimulus checks.
    $600 isn't going to make a difference in anyone's life. Taking down the system might.
    Should’ve just mailed that check directly to these folks then:

Major GameStop Shareholder Sells Entire Stake | Barron's

And what you are doing is definitely not investing, so don’t kid yourself there.

Another good article on the GME fuckery:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

CommanderFun, Wiig, Yngvi:

Thank you for your responses. I want to gain knowledge in things I know nothing about, so this is super helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    It looks, to me, like he shows up for a response.
    How look that way? What actually happens in the video?

Aside from the factor I mentioned, which someone would have to know camera policies to determine, there's no signs.

He also makes it clear that the at hand issue is him not responding to his lawful order, not the complaint of the store owner, which it seems unlikely would go without mentioning if there was one. In fact he says the opposite: that the "only thing" he had to do was comply with his order.

And it would make absolutely zero sense to give the guy the option to go outside and put a mask on or leave if there was some other issue that had caused someone to call the police o the guy.

You are feeling. Not seeing.

A bit concerning as you want to decry me lacking the ability to make proper distinctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    TLDR
    Plus it's just poetic to screw them with the scraps their employees handed out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    He did comply at first. Cop told him he had to leave. He questioned the cop's own failure to comply with the mandate (obviously we can't see if he was right or not) and then left when the cop got belligerent over anyone daring to question him.

The entire incident was unjustified on the part of that pig.
    George if you want to see arrogance about mask wearing you should watch the video I posted, that action by the Melbourne cop was unwarranted, I still think your cop was fair and reasonable considering the suspect was carrying a weapon. I would not call him a pig. First responders often put themselves in dangerous situations for others all the time, such as Ambos, Police, Fire, Rescue with little or no thanks from the general public. That cop had his camera operating before he went into the store so he must have been warned there a gun carrying suspect in the shop. Anyway I still support the cop.