starting strength gym
Page 108 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 858981061071081091101181582086081108 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 30185

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    After this debacle is over, I think the West's relationship with China is going to have to resemble our relationship with the USSR during the Cold War. No way can we keep trading with China now that it's become obvious they're our generation's Nazi Germany.
    Sure, if the US and EU governments can force businesses to stop trading with China...

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Doc, I’m not insinuating that a higher RBC reduces infection rates. What I’m driving at is that when people don’t feel as symptomatic they don’t go and get tested for covid19. See what I’m saying?
    Yes, but it’s still quite a leap to attribute that to RBC density. There are too many other factors.

And the logical end of your theory would be giving blood transfusions to people with normal blood counts, which is risky, expensive, would decimate a vital resource, and is likely only to give a marginal benefit. It would be like adding lanes to a highway with no on-ramps, thinking you will increase the flow of cars. Adding 2-3% more carrying capacity will not help, if you still can’t get oxygen into the bloodstream (because the lungs are borked).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    A couple of the groups I belong to in FB, the Shawnee National Forest group, and Southern Illinois Eats (restaurants and such) have their share of people who post finger wagging diatribes about going out for what THEY deem to be "non-essential" departures from the family sheep pen. What's really absurd about these posts is that the trips out for taking the air outdoors and getting food are specifically permitted by the executive order of Gauleiter Pritzker.

I've said it before, but I am simply stunned by how quickly this snitch on your neighbor thing has manifested itself. Maybe it's all the Baptists here in Southern Illinois.
    If it's the Baptists, just go to the liquor store. They will studiously NOT recognize you when you bump into them there.

I have also prided myself on never judging my friends for their beliefs, and so I retain a broad spectrum who I still communicate with via Facebook. Anecdotal though it may be, there is a VERY steep divide between those who work trades and own businesses and everyone else.

This will sound argumentative.. but I don’t mean it that way.

It seems there are posters in this thread from numerous places on the planet?

Are there posters who have a personal experience with this virus? Are there posters with with friends, family, or associates with tested and confirmed cases of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Sure, if the US and EU governments can force businesses to stop trading with China...
    They've been able to force them to close. They can declare them non-essential. They can do whatever they want to them.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...e_is_born.html

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    Are there posters who have a personal experience with this virus? Are there posters with with friends, family, or associates with tested and confirmed cases of COVID-19?
    A friend of my family's got it. In her 60's, had a fever for a few days, lost the sense of smell and taste, was admitted to the hospital, but released a few days later. I live in Croatia, the country shares a border with Italy, its northern part to be precise. Shitty healthcare infrastructure, but low population density and I guess, what's really important, we had a war here 25 years ago, so a lot of people have personal experience with losing family members, post-war economy and stuff like that, so when they started announcing quarantines, everybody was like "Oh, it's that shit again" and sheltered at home. A low death rate so far, among the lowest in the world. The response has been a low-tech version of Singapore and Hong Kong, with strict self-isolation measures instread of high level infection tracking, but even Hong Kong and Singapore have started enforcing stricter quarantines now, so we're getting to the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    They've been able to force them to close. They can declare them non-essential. They can do whatever they want to them.
    Well, if we want to entertain the idea of closing the West off from doing business with China, it will most assuredly demand a government mandate and nationalizations.

Something to read: The Curve Is Already Flat - Morozko Method - Medium

Shifting the COVID 60 days back in time means the impending peak that everyone fears 60 days from now may be happening in real-time.
    It means that we are grossly overestimating the case fatality rate and that what we fear is just the beginning may actually be the peak.
    It’s possible that the COVID curve is already flat because if we are at or nearing the peak, we are effectively coping with the healthcare demand, and a large segment of the US population may already be immune, rendering most, if not all, of the impending economic damage unnecessary.

But I know that there’s a difference between “shoulds” and what actually is. We have been too busy shaming our neighbors for getting fresh air and hoarding toilet paper to consider that we are being driven by fear, not fact and that it has shut down our ability to recognize inconsistencies and look for answers. Instead, we call anyone who questions the “sky is falling” narrative selfish, stupid, and irresponsible because aligning with the prevailing moral outrage renders us impervious to criticism.
    And I don’t recognize us. That is not who we are.
    The pussies at Medium.com took this down. It is archived here: The Curve Is Already Flat - Morozko Method - Medium

Which explains this:

COVID-19: Data - NYC Health

If congress wants to throw money around via relief bills filled with lots of little "extras", least they can do in my view is get the ball rolling toward cutting China out of our industrial processes. The fact is they are more or less as bad as North Korea but more powerful and they have been allowed to gain way more influence over our country. Initiating trade with them in the first place was probably a huge mistake in the long run, even if it allowed for hyper cheap products that should have been considered luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    t
    I distantly knew one man in his 80's who died from it and his wife who recovered. I have known many people who have had mild to moderate symptoms that resemble Wuhan-Cov cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Well, if we want to entertain the idea of closing the West off from doing business with China, it will most assuredly demand a government mandate and nationalizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    If congress wants to throw money around via relief bills filled with lots of little "extras", least they can do in my view is get the ball rolling toward cutting China out of our industrial processes. The fact is they are more or less as bad as North Korea but more powerful and they have been allowed to gain way more influence over our country. Initiating trade with them in the first place was probably a huge mistake in the long run, even if it allowed for hyper cheap products that should have been considered luxuries.

Nationalization and mandates would not be necessary or desired. All they have to do enact legislation that ensures China is playing on a level field with the rest of the world. This includes IP protection, penalties for theft of corporate technology and proprietary information, reciprocal tariffs, reciprocal treatment of Chinese owned businesses, reciprocal treatment of CCP nationals, reciprocal treatment of Chinese media outlets (state-run, anyway. We maintain our ideals of freedom), anti-military aggression penalties like other countries face, anti-dumping laws, a temporary agency that would specifically counter Chinese evasion of these laws and provisions (would be badly needed) etc.

American dependence on Chinese supply chains was largely predicated on a parasitic trade relationship. If our political leaders have any moral fortitude, they will enact the simple measures that prevent dependence.

These supply chains are a boulder on the edge of a steep mountainside. All they need is a nudge to start rolling.

China pulls the strings in North Korea. They are a vassal-state pawn to the Chinese.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Nationalization and mandates would not be necessary or desired. All they have to do enact legislation that ensures China is playing on a level field with the rest of the world. This includes IP protection, penalties for theft of corporate technology and proprietary information, reciprocal tariffs, reciprocal treatment of Chinese owned businesses, reciprocal treatment of CCP nationals, reciprocal treatment of Chinese media outlets (state-run, anyway. We maintain our ideals of freedom), anti-military aggression penalties like other countries face, anti-dumping laws, a temporary agency that would specifically counter Chinese evasion of these laws and provisions (would be badly needed) etc.

American dependence on Chinese supply chains was largely predicated on a parasitic trade relationship. If our political leaders have any moral fortitude, they will enact the simple measures that prevent dependence.

These supply chains are a boulder on the edge of a steep mountainside. All they need is a nudge to start rolling.
    A step in the right direction. More would be needed though. Western business is highly coupled with China. Western economies have shifted from a mixed service-production to a mostly service based growth model, based on offset production, in everything from semi-conductors to pharmaceuticals. The few strong Western producers, like Germany, base their growth model on rising Chinese demand. This might be the right time for a decoupling and levelling the playing field, though. Two things are important, for one you need the US and EU to work together, plus you need to take a substantial hit and let the market forces do their thing and let the various Chinese bubbles burst (infrastructure, real-estate). Which at this point probably means keeping demand for Chinese goods at the present all time low for as long as possible. They have been growing less dependent on exports as the years have gone by. In the long run, you will probably have positive GDP markers for returning some of the production home, but a lot of high level business dependent on high turnover and low margins will be severely affected But I doubt a chance like this one will present itself in the near future. Covid19 seems to be solving the problem for us at the moment, a complete halt to world wide business will do much more damage to the CCP than it will to the West. It's just that our citizens are left taking the hardest hit. The Chinese ones too, but you can't hear what they're saying.