starting strength gym
Page 1117 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 1176171017106711071115111611171118111911271167121716172117 ... LastLast
Results 11,161 to 11,170 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    The level of gaslighting and mental torture they're inflicting on us is becoming hysterical.
    Yeah. The throw-shit kind of hysterical, not the laughing kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    It appears that reality has caused a bump in the road of implementing a gender-neutral fitness test. Here's the first bit of an article in the Stars and Stripes: The Army could adjust how it scores its new Combat Fitness Test to account for the “biological differences” between men and women, a service spokeswoman said Friday. The reevaluation of the ACFT comes weeks after Congress delayed its implementation over concerns the new test created an unfair disadvantage to female soldiers.
    Army considers change to Combat Fitness Test scoring for male, female soldiers - U.S. - Stripes

I remember back in the early 80's, a 50 year old male had to run faster then a 18 old female to pass the two mile run.
    Did they make the tests gender neutral at some point? I remember when (90's) the requirement for ROTC was three pullups for men and a 30 second-ish hang from the top position for women. Always thought that this was rediculous until they could get the bullets to slow down and the gear to weigh less for women.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasfj70 View Post
    Where was Trump on the scale? He was all over the place. He seems to have no political conviction other than staying In power.
    If that were true, he would have stayed in power. Pretty much all he had to do was let military leadership do whatever the hell they want in the middle east. Do you not remember how CNN, of all networks, immediately began sucking him off the moment he bombed Syria? I will never forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    So it's cold, 7F and -10F wind chill here near the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio. We have 7" of snow having fallen TODAY(!) on top of over an inch already from the last couple of days. Record cold to boot. Someone pissed off Elsa of Frozen and needs to make nicey so she'll relent.

All that said, it might be useful to have the astronomically inclined to see what the axial tilt of the Earth is along with checking where in it's elliptical orbit around the Sun is. Could be our "climate change" is the result of the combination of being at the far end of the ellipse and a more extreme tilt than usual.

It's one theory put forth as to why we had ice ages. I learned that on a vacation trip when we looked in at a museum in Wisconsin some 30+ years ago. It put paid, for me at least, to the politicized science of climate change.
    It's the Milankovitch hypothesis, which states that small changes in the shape of Earth’s orbit and axis inclination, along with a subtle effect of precession, could combine to influence Earth’s climate and cause ice ages. Earth’s distance from the Sun varies by ±1.7 percent from its average during each year’s orbit but the effect is minor compared to the effects of axial tilt. But the eccentricity of Earth’s orbit varies between 0 and about 3% over a period of about 100k years. The second factor is the inclination of Earth’s equator to its orbit, currently 23.4 degrees. Because of gravitational tugs of the Moon, Sun, and planets, this angle varies between 22 and almost 25 degrees with a period of 41k years. The third factor is precession which takes 26k years. In 1920, Milankovitch theorized that the combinations of the three cycles produced complex variations that account for the advance and retreat of glaciers but it wasn't until the mid 70's and 80's that core samples confirmed the hypothesis. We're actually in an ice age now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Reporting in from the shithole known as Austin. Haven’t had power for about 30 hours. Fortunately gas stove still works and i’ve managed to keep the water running. Roads are still fucked and I’m about to walk downtown and see what grocery stores are open. Apparently we can’t rotate blackouts here, so some customers have to go without power until ERCOT gives austin energy permission to draw more power.

I’ve heard that frozen wind turbines are to blame for this energy crisis. Anyone have any insight?
    Wishing everyone down there the best. What a shit show.

I work in the electric and gas industry. My heart breaks for everyone down there. This is what we call “fat tails”. ERCOT is in a very tough position, not enough generation, thus making the utilities take circuits out. The energy market in which ERCOT participates is very complex. Works well on blue sky days but not so much during extreme but predictable events. Usually large storms will cause pole damage and lines down, that stuff is repairable.
    But the lack of available generation on the spot market is a structural problem. Good luck.

Reporting in from the shithole known as Austin. Haven’t had power for about 30 hours. Fortunately gas stove still works and i’ve managed to keep the water running. Roads are still fucked and I’m about to walk downtown and see what grocery stores are open. Apparently we can’t rotate blackouts here, so some customers have to go without power until ERCOT gives austin energy permission to draw more power.

I’ve heard that frozen wind turbines are to blame for this energy crisis. Anyone have any insight?
    I bet your climate king John Kerry's home has a standby generator. You can buy in the states these days a natural gas powered standby generator made by Generac 10Kva should be enough for most homes. Ice on wind turbine blades is as bad as ice on aircraft wings.

I believe Texas has some weird ideas about being hooked to the National grid, i.e. selling/trading power back and forth through the intra-national EHV transmission lines like other states do.

It seems Biden and The-Fake-News-Climate-Change has brought Texas to its knees in only 30 days of his presidency.

(El Paso is different, in that it is connected to the shared grid/transmission line coming out of NMex. Therefore its fine from what I'm told)

Well, looky here! The European Commission planned a common vaccination passport for the EU for 2022 (back in 2019).

https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/he...roadmap_en.pdf

There's no truth in these conspiracy theories, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Wishing everyone down there the best. What a shit show.

I work in the electric and gas industry. My heart breaks for everyone down there. This is what we call “fat tails”. ERCOT is in a very tough position, not enough generation, thus making the utilities take circuits out. The energy market in which ERCOT participates is very complex. Works well on blue sky days but not so much during extreme but predictable events. Usually large storms will cause pole damage and lines down, that stuff is repairable.
    But the lack of available generation on the spot market is a structural problem. Good luck.
    They had almost 2 weeks to prepare. And apparently their wind turbines hadn't been tested under extreme conditions -- which means they hadn't been tested -- while we have moved them into a position to provide 25% of our power. People will freeze to death tonight, and nobody will be accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I believe Texas has some weird ideas about being hooked to the National grid, i.e. selling/trading power back and forth through the intra-national EHV transmission lines like other states do.

It seems Biden and The-Fake-News-Climate-Change has brought Texas to its knees in only 30 days of his presidency.

(El Paso is different, in that it is connected to the shared grid/transmission line coming out of NMex. Therefore its fine from what I'm told)
    You believe. It's what you're told.

What Cody said. Once you willingly hand over your civil rights, you will never get them back. You have willingly forfeited liberty and freedom for your children and grandchildren.

New England has some sayings from the Revolutionary War, you know the one against tyranny and oppressive government without representation.
    “Live Free or Die”. That used to mean something.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

They had almost 2 weeks to prepare. And apparently their wind turbines hadn't been tested under extreme conditions -- which means they hadn't been tested

Sure it’s cold in Texas, but not a 100 yr or 1000 year event. It’s like building Adobe high risers in San Fransisco and killing everyone in a 6.0 quake.

THAT actually happens all over the world. That’s what we are becoming.