starting strength gym
Page 113 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 13631031111121131141151231632136131113 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    It looks as if the Völkischer Beobachter of the ruling classes has published an apology.
    Woah, I'd really like to read this whole thing. See what you can do, seconded.

Btw, I'm loving this A.J. Kay, the champion of the masses for the moment. The lady says she's been diagnosed with liver tumor 15 months ago. I took the liberty of checking her feed, it looks that apart from liver tumor, she's also been suffering from anorexia, which led to type II diabetes, which she took care of by going on a carnivorous diet, which she also put her cat on, helping the cat cure its depression. In the communist days in my country, we had this national hero, you would translate his last name as Poorman. He was widely believed to be the greatest coal digger that ever was, a kind of communist John Henry, and died as a result of overtraining while trying to dig a metric ton of coal in a single day.

“Looking for evidence of a high burden of COVID-19 in the United States from influenza-like illness data”

ncov/ili-labtest-report-20200403.pdf at master * reichlab/ncov * GitHub

Found it, quoting:

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

If there is a silver lining to the Covid-19 pandemic, it is that it has injected a sense of togetherness into polarised societies. But the virus, and the economic lockdowns needed to combat it, also shine a glaring light on existing inequalities — and even create new ones. Beyond defeating the disease, the great test all countries will soon face is whether current feelings of common purpose will shape society after the crisis. As western leaders learnt in the Great Depression, and after the second world war, to demand collective sacrifice you must offer a social contract that benefits everyone.

Today’s crisis is laying bare how far many rich societies fall short of this ideal. Much as the struggle to contain the pandemic has exposed the unpreparedness of health systems, so the brittleness of many countries’ economies has been exposed, as governments scramble to stave off mass bankruptcies and cope with mass unemployment. Despite inspirational calls for national mobilisation, we are not really all in this together.

The economic lockdowns are imposing the greatest cost on those already worst off. Overnight millions of jobs and livelihoods have been lost in hospitality, leisure and related sectors, while better paid knowledge workers often face only the nuisance of working from home. Worse, those in low-wage jobs who can still work are often risking their lives — as carers and healthcare support workers, but also as shelf stackers, delivery drivers and cleaners.

Governments’ extraordinary budget support for the economy, while necessary, will in some ways make matters worse. Countries that have allowed the emergence of an irregular and precarious labour market are finding it particularly hard to channel financial help to workers with such insecure employment. Meanwhile, vast monetary loosening by central banks will help the asset-rich. Behind it all, underfunded public services are creaking under the burden of applying crisis policies.

The way we wage war on the virus benefits some at the expense of others. The victims of Covid-19 are overwhelmingly the old. But the biggest victims of the lockdowns are the young and active, who are asked to suspend their education and forgo precious income. Sacrifices are inevitable, but every society must demonstrate how it will offer restitution to those who bear the heaviest burden of national efforts.

Radical reforms — reversing the prevailing policy direction of the last four decades — will need to be put on the table. Governments will have to accept a more active role in the economy. They must see public services as investments rather than liabilities, and look for ways to make labour markets less insecure. Redistribution will again be on the agenda; the privileges of the elderly and wealthy in question. Policies until recently considered eccentric, such as basic income and wealth taxes, will have to be in the mix.

The taboo-breaking measures governments are taking to sustain businesses and incomes during the lockdown are rightly compared to the sort of wartime economy western countries have not experienced for seven decades. The analogy goes still further.

The leaders who won the war did not wait for victory to plan for what would follow. Franklin D Roosevelt and Winston Churchill issued the Atlantic Charter, setting the course for the United Nations, in 1941. The UK published the Beveridge Report, its commitment to a universal welfare state, in 1942. In 1944, the Bretton Woods conference forged the postwar financial architecture. That same kind of foresight is needed today. Beyond the public health war, true leaders will mobilise now to win the peace

It's almost as if it was planned that way, all along. Like he says in the last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    ^^^^^^ This Wilford Brimley looking dude with his middle earth glasses, and Mithril necklace may just be my new hero!

To those who posted and answered my question thank you.
    Some friends mine were just confirmed diagnosed on Saturday (they were tested the week before).
    My daughter in law's mother is a nurse on the front lines in Twin Falls Idaho. (not a whole lot happening there yet)

I'm tempted to go spend an hour at their house then quarantine myself for 21 days.

I don't know if this was posted yet, but

Ventilators are killing people

YouTube

The point about the curve already flattening, made by Wittkowski and the blogger, seems fine. It’s not particularly controversial - it is also the position of the president of the US, and the governor of NY, and the director of the Istituto Superiore di Sanità in Italy.

Wittkowski is oblivious to the PPE situation. No, it’s not short everywhere, it’s short where we need it. Distribution is part of the problem, and harder than it sounds. (Some governors have authorized commandeering of such medical supplies from private businesses, which will thrill you, I’m sure.)

Wittkowski’s COVID-19 paper doesn’t really match his boasts about doing “real science”. The portion highlighted in the video - comparing the peaks in cases with social distancing timing - isn’t correct. The Chinese switched their positive case definition from positive swab to CT/clinical diagnosis, and switched it back a few days later, producing a false peak. (It was around this time that I realized there would never be a sound quantitative analysis of such data.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    ...unwilling to step on the CCP's toes is because all of them have started viewing China as its next big market for attracting advertising revenue...until the virus jumped from bats to the intermediary to humans. Now all of this is in shambles. M... I don't think the poor Great Leader has been sleeping without chemicals since December.
    They have been expecting it for 15 years or more. Will they ever learn they don't get to participate in the Chinese economy?

The largest amount of evidence suggests that the most likely scenario was an accidental lab release or a lab accident in WuHan.

There is a third path here: Many of the Chineses nationals are not happy with Xi. We may see a power transfer or revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    For those interested, data for week 12 has been published: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/cal...si_2020w12.pdf

The spike in the number of deaths is now very clear.

IPB
    The graph on the final page of that document is very telling: it shows a spike that is currently smaller than the spike for previous flu seasons.

Either the Italians are still experiencing a large lag in death reporting time or the spike is not actually an unusual sipke.

Quote Originally Posted by JJdd View Post
    I don't know if this was posted yet, but

Ventilators are killing people

YouTube
    Hadn't been posted, but it supports some speculations from a few pages ago.

News just in over here that our PM has been moved into intensive care due to COVID19. British media are all over this story demanding we take this threat very serious now. With the UK population of over 66 million and total of 1559 people in intensive care. He's either really unlucky or something sinister is going on herw. Knowing what we know about Olympic athletes will to win at any costs, do we think this applies to politicians?

starting strength coach development program
    We wish PM Boris Johnson a full recovery.

Politicians and bureaucrats take that win at any cost mentality to a higher extreme. I would like to hope not, but we have seen too many insurance policies and countermeasures against unapproved political figures recently.