starting strength gym
Page 122 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 22721121201211221231241321722226221122 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Second point for now and moving forward...what role (or responsibility) do detrained, chronically unhealthy (basically normal sedentary people for the most part) have in limiting the freedoms of those who make conscious decisions daily to eat, sleep, train, and maintain healthy relationships? These would clearly be in a better position to fight off the virus.
    Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by lazygun37 View Post
    (a) It’s true that this question had been brought up several times. But I have yet to see a rational response that doesn’t include simply hoping the oitbreak/disease isn’t all that bad. Just for the record: what *is* your answer under the hypothesis that the unchecked outbreak *is* really that bad?
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have yet to see a rational response that doesn’t include simply hoping the outbreak/disease isn’t all that bad. Just for the record: what *is* your answer under the hypothesis that the unchecked outbreak *is* really that bad?
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider
    I'm sure you realize this, but this is completely avoiding the question again -- you are showing this plot precisely because you think it supports your assertion that "the outbreak/disease isn't all that bad".

I'll be more than happy to engage with that plot/data set (and indeed several others that have been mentioned in the thread recently), but let's do that separately. For the moment, I just want to note that this particular plot tells you literally nothing about the progress of an unchecked outburst. The comparison is between a prediction, in which the effects of social distancing are *modelled*, and actual data, in which the effects of social distancing are necessarily *included and observed*. By definition, neither can directly tell you anything about an unchecked epidemic. (The modellers own interpretation is that social distancing is working slightly better than their model predicted.)

So, could you please directly engage with the possibility -- even if you personally think it's remote -- that an unchecked outbreak would be really bad? As Bruno put it: "What happens to the economy after a pandemic goes spreading across the country unchecked?"

Also, if you've been labeled as essential and are making a living during this it's hard to hear your argument. It's just like our Dallas county judge ($155k per year with a car allowance that's more than my monthly income) and our Tarrant county judge ($150k per year) telling me we all have to sacrifice and we're all in this together??

When my 1,000 sq ft gym has a full group it's 3 people. Add me it's 4. Wanna get really crazy if my wife is helping it's 5.

I don't know what a typical Walmart, Target, Bass pro shop parking lot holds but we'll call it 1,000 cars. If each car has 1-3 people in it that means there's an estimated 1-3,000 people inside that store and that not even counting employees?

In the strip mall where my gym is the cafe on one end is serving take out with curbside pickup. The insurance office and cell phone stores are both open. Evey liquor store and lawn service in town is untouched and business as usual. The damn vape shop two doors down from us is open for...... Get this.... Curbside pickup (none of them have gloves or mask's on, and they're handing vape shit directly to customers with their receipts and cards back?)

If your on here saying "sure go ahead and open your gym (or any other of the few small businesses that somehow got put on the non-essential list) and let people in and get someone sick" just doesn't make sense when all these other places are up and running?

Go to my Facebook or Instagram page under Janecek Strength and look at pictures of my gym. Then go drive by any of the big stores, or a liquor store, or anywhere that's open. Or check out some of my posts where I made comparisons.

Here's my gym one day when I had an extra client show up and I was "overbooked" at four people, AND a pic I found of a typical Walmart parking lot.

Shared album - John Janecek - Google Photos

When you close down a select few small businesses then all the people have less places to go so all the people end up at Walmart because they're tired of sitting at home. If all small businesses were open people would go get their haircut, go to a movie, eat out, then maybe on the way home stop by the local grocery store for a few things because everything is open and there doesn't seem to be.....panic.

Obviously this guy has his own agenda, but at the moment it includes exposing fauci. YouTube

But I have yet to see a rational response that doesn’t include simply hoping the oitbreak/disease isn’t all that bad.
    Plenty of data supporting the possibility and probability that the virus has already undergone non-trivial community spread without significant widespread lockdown for perhaps several months has been presented so far. Perhaps you would be so kind to address any of that in a more specific manner?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, we hadn't considered that, you fucking imbecile. With the permission of everybody else on the board, I'm withdrawing his privileges.
    Well that’s rather draconian and heavy handed.

As a long time member I like the dissenting view on this particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Bruno, you silly bitch. The lockdown is what is going to prolong this. Do you know what herd immunity means?
    Almost anything you read anywhere discussing the idea/concept of herd immunity the word "vaccine" and/or "vaccinated" comes up quite a bit.

Whether or not you agree with how the lockdown is being implemented, or you think this is just the flu" or not, or you just want to watch all the older people die because of overloaded hospitals....where ever you lie on that spectrum, throwing around the newly minted buzz words (term) "herd immunity" isn't applicable and shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Did you just suggest you can "squat" your way through this? And what happens when those able bodied healthy people go out and interact with less able bodied folks they work with, live with, or just generally come in contact with? What happens when those less able bodied folk end up in the hospital in close proximity to others who are recovering from a heart attack?
    Absolutely. If a person is healthy and strong, they will ride this out much better than someone who is sedentary or infirm. When they come into contact with the less able-bodied, some of those people will also get sick. Some of them might die, but the vast majority will recover, be immune, and better situated to resume their normal lives. As many people have pointed out, and as the incredibly spotty data has been suggesting, this is no where near as bad as Neil Ferguson et al suggested it was.

For future pandemics, this level of response has set a terrible precedent. If a serious disease ever actually starts spreading in the United States, people will ignore it because they'll assume the government is crying wolf.

If the government shuts down this much of the economy, the burden of proof is on them to show that the pandemic justifies that kind of response. From the beginning of this fiasco opinions have been all over the place, especially once a person got beyond the usual mainstream media scumbags.

What I think is funny is numerous news and media publishers have shot their credibility in the foot (if they had any to begin with). Just look at Medium's response to articles they didn't like. One blessing I see from the pandemic is that it's pushing cable news further and further into the bin of irrelevance along with broadcast television and FM Radio.

For what it's worth, my vote is to leave Bruno and his ramblings alone. He's just convincing me how hysterical and ill-informed his side of this debate is. Hopefully it's having that effect on others as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    You seem to have trouble with long-term and short-term implications. What I am suggesting is the long-term ramifications of not performing the current measures far outweigh any short-term problems we have on the economy by keeping them in place.
    What I am suggesting is that they don't, because the effects on the economy are not "short term". It took about 10 years to recover from the '08 recession. This recovery may very well take longer because the recession is more severe. I do not consider that short term. Perhaps you do and that is why you suggest I'm having trouble with long-term and short-term implications.

But I have yet to see a rational response that doesn’t include simply hoping the oitbreak/disease isn’t all that bad.
    Do you consider everything that is not authoritarian to be irrational? There have been several suggestions to have those at higher risk (due to age or other factors) shelter in place and let the rest of us go about our lives. It has also been suggested to allow towns, schools, and workplaces to make decisions for themselves.

A question for you: when schools need to close because of a snowstorm, should that decision be made by the principal, the superintendent, the school board, the board of freeholders/county legislature, the state governor, Congress, the President, or the United Nations?