starting strength gym
Page 1233 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2337331133118312231231123212331234123512431283133317332233 ... LastLast
Results 12,321 to 12,330 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Having this revelation after you've dabbled in some shit-tier free college courses in a presumably bullshit field of study is pretty retarded.
    Why would you presume this?

Quote Originally Posted by DougBriggs View Post
    We already know the Police officers name, have her picture. One day later.

We still don't know who Murdered Ashli Babbitt and nobody in the State Media is even asking who it is. Nobody cares to push the story, why was she shot and executed.

Lean Forward
    Black cop would be one reason.

Officer Who Shot Ashli Babbitt Turns out to Be Black—As We Thought | Blog Posts | VDARE.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A few reasons:

1. The majority of fields are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    maybe proof I can jump through hoops will help me get a job?
    which implies that the content of the degree is potentially irrelevant for her employment, a feature of non-technical degrees.
    3. She's taking a persuasive speech course. I understand many programs have general ed requirements, but this is again more likely to be part of a non-technical degree.

I'd love to be wrong about my presumption. Let's see what Jenni says.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    Isn't it interesting that the arresting officer in the Duante Wright incident was black? Officers body cam footage of Daunte Wright shooting

Because he needs to use ad hominems to try to cover his lack of actual persuasive arguments. I don't know, maybe he honestly doesn't understand scholarships for people with high grades (that make the classes free even at decent schools) or the fact that even technical degrees for things like AutoCad (drafting and design) and auto tech type degrees/ HVAC (I could go on) require an academic core. Twenty years ago I could say to an employer, hey, put me on the table (or computer) and if you don't like my work, don't pay me. These days it doesn't work like that.

I don't get what his main point is though? That good programs don't require such silliness? But that's the problem, they do. People young enough to be influenced by that shit are getting it no matter their field or source of education. If this shit was limited to gender studies programs or such I wouldn't be nearly as concerned for the future.

A few reasons:

which implies that the content of the degree is potentially irrelevant for her employment, a feature of non-technical degrees.
    3. She's taking a persuasive speech course. I understand many programs have general ed requirements, but this is again more likely to be part of a non-technical degree.

Don’t be an asshole. Leave that role for me.

You will eventually realize this is also a feature of technical degrees.

A few reasons:

It's just speech. Persuasive was the example I used to show how far the crap has creeped in. After getting frustrated the other day I inquired about the other programs that matched my skill set. They all have academic cores. I'm seeking to get the credentials employers are using to hire people with my skill sets. I already have drafting, Auto Cad, and auto tech (not body work though) skills. If you give me half a chance, my ass can cash the checks my mouth writes. But employers don't care- or perhaps more precisely- the ones that do aren't doing the hiring. Now there are entire HR departments doing what one grumpy guy in the back of a shop used to do*. So, I thought it wouldn't be a terrible idea to take advantage of the combination of timing (a program) and my previous academic excellence (scholarship) to get the sheet of paper that will let me in the door long enough to show that I'm good at what I do. (A lot of professions have licensing and continuing education rules, this alone didn't seem too onerous a requirement.) My surprise was that the crap is no longer confined (as you seem to believe) to the nebulous world of useless degrees like feminist studies or philosophy degrees. Nurses, auto mechanics, aircraft mechanics, body work, network engineering- all now have academic cores. Those academics cores are getting saturated with the same shit Weinstein faced at a place like Evergreen in the vast liberal empire of Washington state.

Frankly, even if you were right in your assertion that only shit programs are doing this stuff that's still not a good thing. A large number of high school grads go to fully academic programs and I'd still not like to see a generation of doctors and lawyers and other people who are gonna run things way more than your plumber does getting spoon fed this woke bullshit. In fact, letting it go in the more prominent academic schools is why it's creeped so far into the rest of life. Yeah, in the end I'm still gonna live my life like I do. But if there's any interest (as some here have shown) in stopping the shit we're seeing go on that has led to everything from everyone embracing the political power grab that has been the shutdown to the media's ability to twist the science when presenting it to the public then we have to see how that cycle perpetuates and arrest its growth.

What exactly is your argument? That the cancer hasn't metastasized as far as I'm claiming? You had to get an experimental vaccine so you could have the "right" to go train, how are you able to argue that this shit has only infected people doing "non-technical degrees" at "shit-tier" schools. You're practically walking proof of my point.

*This is why I think Coach's coaching program is going to go well. He's still the grumpy guy in the back of the shop making sure every coach or SS gym he signs off on is actually up to par. But this is a rare method now.

Turns out that criminals break traffic laws too.
    And other laws: Daunte Wright had warrant for his arrest for attempted aggravated robbery charges, say court papers | Daily Mail Online

starting strength coach development program
    Because he needs to use ad hominems.
    None of my reasons had anything to do with you as a person.

technical degrees for things like AutoCad (drafting and design) and auto tech type degrees/ HVAC
    I should've clarified--by "technical" I mean technical in the academic STEM sense.

I don't get what his main point is though?
    For reference, your original complaint:

They aren't teaching people to think and reason and concepts that can help them evaluate science when it's presented in popular contexts like the nightly news. They are indoctrinating and creating empty vessels to be filled with whatever the latest line is. It's gonna get worse.
    My point is that I believe that some fields epitomize the very thing you think is lacking in the school system--the ability to think and reason critically. These fields (at least) fall under the hard mathematical sciences--e.g., math, physics, (proper) computer science. (There may be other fields in other areas that are also good candidates--but I'm unfamiliar with with them.) The mathematical sciences study/describe the universe (as long as you believe that math is discovered and not invented) and so the degree of bullshit is generally modulated by this fact. (A reason why SS is so much better than any other book on the subject is because it uses a realistic physical model and any reasoning/arguments have to be consistent with that model.)

Pure mathematics is a good example--it's a rigorous field that relies on proofs. Mathematics asks the question of--given some axioms and structure--what can we, without a doubt, show to be true? It's also a very creative field; coming up with (discovering?) novel structures/ideas is absolutely a creative process. Mathematics distills arguments into undeniable truths about the world not modulo interpretation or otherwise. This language is so powerful/precise that we can actually check the correctness of a proof (i.e., whether or not it's actually true) mechanically with a computer; no human required. (But a human is certainly required to come up with the proof, most of the time!)

If you do a decent pure math program, you'll walk away with an appreciation for and some ability in constructing very precise, careful arguments and being able to think critically about things. (Hopefully graduates of these programs extend this ability into all facets of their life.) I don't believe you'll walk away with this kind of skill set (at least, not as a direct result of) doing a nursing program or an AutoCAD program or whatever. That's my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Don’t be an asshole. Leave that role for me.
    It's not very sportsmanship-like to be so unwelcoming to a little friendly competition; seems like you're doing your role.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    You will eventually realize this is also a feature of technical degrees.
    I didn't (intentionally) imply otherwise.