COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 1354

starting strength gym
Page 1354 of 1447 FirstFirst ... 3548541254130413441352135313541355135613641404 ... LastLast
Results 13,531 to 13,540 of 14462

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #13531
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    45,876

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    There is no historical example of where the free market prevented the super rich from monopolizing anything they wished.
    Give us an historical example of a monopoly that was established without the help of the government.

  2. #13532
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Yep, through Blackrock Financial I believe.
    Didn't know Blackrock was Chinese. I don't find myself shocked, though. They are conquering our country with money instead of military force. And again, much of that money is provided BY OUR GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS, like the wonderful Federal Reserve.

    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    That's because you're projecting your thought process onto others. Most people are idiots and they need to be herded. You don't need to convince them of anything. In fact they cannot be rationally convinced of anything. If the good guys refuse to herd people because of delusions about everyone's rational individuality, someone else will, and that someone else will win.
    This is the kind of thinking that turned me around on Donald Trump. He turned me away with his initial campaign because he leaned so much on certain idiot talking points. He reminded me of a used car salesman a lot of the time. I later came to realize he needed to do that to win.

  3. #13533
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post

    The Vox guy says he will be speaking extemporaneously. (As a treat!) Is he a total moron or is his audience?

    This is a highly produced and edited video on a topic of his choice. Does he write pre arranged answers for politicians and pretend itís a press conference?

  4. #13534
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post




    The no true free market fallacy is no different than the no true socialism fallacy.

    Both groups argue that something that doe not and cannot exist would work.



    I asked for evidence...rhetorically, of course...because I know it doesn't exist.

    You claim that something that doesn't exist (free markets) would have prevented a problem that actually does exist.

    Just because these industries have corrupt and/or overbearing government regulations doesn't mean that lack of any regulation at all would not lead to similar, if not the very same problem.

    Free markets (which don't exist) not causing a particular problem doesn't = Free markets (which don't exist) could prevent or cure it.

    That is not some logical given. It's a logical fallacy.

    There is no historical example of where the free market prevented the super rich from monopolizing anything they wished.

    And it doesn't matter if it is China's government or Chinese Millionaires who buys all those houses and drive up the prices on paper because they are the same people running things. Just like here.

    There is no free market answer to China (or anyone else) buying up properties and driving up prices to create a world full of renters. Anyone who could possible "compete" with them will create the same problem. Names on the deeds will be the only difference.

    The government regulation/free market dichotomy is a false one. It is as ludicrous as the democracy/freedom link. Both free markets and democracy are used tools to become the the government powers. And then they pull the ladder up behind themselves.



    Experience. That's how.

    They got away with it, right?
    Hey, where you going with those goalposts?

  5. #13535
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    This is fine, right? no red flags to worry about.

    Former FBI Assistant Director says in order to confront domestic terrorism we have to go after "command and control elements" including "people sitting in Congress right now." Let's discuss. | Not the Bee

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gleichauf View Post
    And this is why I’m no longer a libertarian. Two years ago I would’ve disagreed with you. I now believe you are not only correct in this premise, but wise as well.
    I would have had to walk around with a rocket launcher made of pot to be more libertardian, but eventually I realized that it was nothing more than Comicon without the hot chicks dressed like catwoman.

    Then I started to realize that so many of the same BS perspectives than drive Marxism drive Libertarianism: namely that there is no history and that all people are interchangeable and that it is the system, not the character of any particular people that is the problem. They don't explicitly say so, but it is what it is the obvious implications because you can only believe that either could work without a complete4 lack of understanding of human nature and human history.

    I also started to realize that the founders were nothing like libertardians. They didn't fight a war over being taxed. They fought a war over not being represented.

    A lot of the libertarian movement is just Boomer BS that relied on being raised with essentailly no international competition, so that you could think that there were no downsides to it. Same with immigration. So take post WWII conditions in the US, where you had to be a complete fuck up to fail, mistake it for American exceptionalism, sell you childrens futre to the lowest bidder, give their jobs to foreigners, and then talk some more BS about how they need to work harder.........after you raised them to do anything but and created an enviorment where they can almost never reach the height syou were essentially handed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Give us an historical example of a monopoly that was established without the help of the government.
    Your point?

    Of course the rich can buy political leverage. How is the free market, after it somehow exists, of course, going to suddenly prevent this from happening? their ability to do so was provided by them getting rich via the free market. And buying leverage just affects the pace.

    Nothing short of good governance is actually going to stop monopolies. That is the only thing in real life history that has?

    And what effect would removing all government backed/created monopolies currently in place do? Do you actually think that taking away the special leverages is suddenly going to make competing with the companies in them anything more than pissing into the wind? Maybe if we made a ton of things that those monopolies hold public do competition had a chance, but that would be a governmental cure, not a free market one.

    But back to the reality of the case at hand: what is the free market solution to the actual problem of these countries and corporations driving up housing prices so that nearly everyone has to be a renter? Bootstraps and boycotts?

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    This is the kind of thinking that turned me around on Donald Trump. He turned me away with his initial campaign because he leaned so much on certain idiot talking points. He reminded me of a used car salesman a lot of the time. I later came to realize he needed to do that to win.
    Sadly, ability has no bearing on voting, so you have to win the idiots to...if not especially.

  6. #13536
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    45,876

    Default

    Okay, George. Good Government is obviously the answer.

  7. #13537
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, George. Good Government is obviously the answer.

    Good (not perfect) government is less utopian when your country doesn't have multicultural warring factions trying to rip the meat off the bone, Rip. Dammit it always all comes back to immigration, doesn't it? Would love to hear of the backroom deals that resulted in the '65 immigration bill being passed

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, George. Good Government is obviously the answer.
    **Passed* not *paused,* obviously.

    A Freudian slip of sorts, as even a simple immigration PAUSE is a bit of a utopian endeavor in our country today.

  8. #13538
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    45,876

  9. #13539
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post

    Sadly, ability has no bearing on voting, so you have to win the idiots to...if not especially.
    ..which is one of the reasons why voting rights were restricted in the early years of the U.S. Now, anyone with a pulse can vote, in fact, one doesn't even need to speak English or be able to read and write to vote. In my opinion, these votes are essentially worthless. If Trump came off as a "used car salesmen", it might have been because he knew what he was doing: smart people would vote for him based on his policies and his promises, the rest (and likely the majority of his voters) voted for him based on his rhetoric. Liberal media, unfortunately, does a much better job at targeting people's emotions.

  10. #13540
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    The Vox guy says he will be speaking extemporaneously. (As a treat!) Is he a total moron or is his audience?

    This is a highly produced and edited video on a topic of his choice. Does he write pre arranged answers for politicians and pretend it’s a press conference?
    Could just be you.

    "carefully prepared but delivered without notes or text" Extemporaneous | Definition of Extemporaneous by Merriam-Webster

    "previously planned but delivered with the help of few or no notes:
    extemporaneous lectures." Extemporaneous - definition of extemporaneous by The Free Dictionary

    I'm going to bet that most his idiot viewers took it to mean that it was a relatively impromptu break from the regular format and the previous and following videos that were building upon each other.

    But his shirt is ugly, so I guess I'll disregard the actual content.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, George. Good Government is obviously the answer.
    You're getting government whether you like it or not. Just a question of the kind.

    The history of humanity has always been a series of "the King has died long live the king!"s. The vacuum will be filled.

    Trying for a good one sure has better odds of success than expecting to ever be without one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •