starting strength gym
Page 136 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 36861261341351361371381461862366361136 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post

The CDC thinks it is similar enough to "just the flu" that they have decided to implement and continue to follow influenza protocols.

The flu causes pandemics. The flu is highly contagious. The flu makes many people gravely ill. The flu kills many people. The flu overwhelms hospital capacity. it appears very similar to a moderately bad flu year so far.

The only differences seem to be that the flu does not shut down the economy, cause mass hysteria or give the government special powers.

I still like this paper to put the flu in context:
    Trends in Recorded Influenza Mortality: United States, 1900–2004
    Not every flu is "just the flu." I assume when someone says "just the flu," they are talking about a typical seasonal influenza. This is like a badass mofo of a flu, in that when you get sick from it you don't look like a sick flu patient. You look like you gonna die.

I'm not even talking about the mortality numbers or rate of transmission. I'm really talking about the qualitative severity as reported by many many doctors who have stood in the room with many many many sick flu patients over the years, and who are now standing in the rooms with the COVID patients. It's not "just a coronavirus," either. Mostly coronaviruses cause something like the common cold.

Look, to argue that we are overreacting, or that the cure is worse than the epidemic is totally reasonable. To doubt that this is a bad virus that demands something more than the typical seasonal flu is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Not every flu is "just the flu." I assume when someone says "just the flu," they are talking about a typical seasonal influenza. This is like a badass mofo of a flu, in that when you get sick from it you don't look like a sick flu patient. You look like you gonna die.
    Except for the ~50% who are asymptomatic and the ~25% who are mildly sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

I appreciate your perspectives on this board, and I have for a long time. I'm buying the beer when I get to Boston.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Next time I'm in Boston I'm buying the beer, whiskey, whatever you want. I really appreciate your point of view on this board (and not only just on Corona virus). Thanks!
    You guys are very kind and make this board fun and well worth the time spent reading. Come on up any time. We can throw tea in the harbor, commandeer Old Ironsides, and find a British dude to kick in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Kaiser Murphy (fascist in chief of NJ) just signed an executive order that says I have to wear a face covering if I go to an essential store like a supermarket.

THE GOVERNMENT IS NOW DICTATING WHAT I WEAR.

What's next, little yellow stars for those who have contracted the virus? Or will they skip that step and just relocate the infected to special camps where they can be quarantined?
    The HORROR. What’s next, they make you wear UNDERWEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Another MD raising the issue of coercion regarding COD recording on death certificates. This should be the current headline news re. COVID-19. It’s a total scandal!

Watch from from 6:33

YouTube
    Instead of posting a YouTube video whose headline pertains to reptilian overlords, he should read the actual, official, federally-mandated guidelines on ICD-10-CM coding, which make it clear that U07.1-coded deaths (the only ones reported by the CDC) must be accompanied by a positive test. Your “scandal” does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Except for the ~50% who are asymptomatic and the ~25% who are mildly sick.
    Hence the "when you get sick from it." As we know, not everyone with the virus gets sick. But if you do, you would wish it was the flu instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    The HORROR. What’s next, they make you wear UNDERWEAR?
    Hush child, the grownups are talking, and they’re worried about government overreach.

Interestingly, my daughter is currently doing a unit on the Revolutionary War. Those guys started a revolution over a sugar tax and a tea monopoly. You’ll learn about those things in social studies when you’re a bit older, and you’ll understand them when you’re older yet.

I was texting with a friend who's a cop today... I asked him on a scale of 1-10 what was happening on the streets out there.
    His response was, "What's your consideration of a 10? Nobody is rioting but property crimes, suicides, domestics are through the roof!"

This is in Boise Idaho. I wonder what isn't (it's not here) being reported out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    THE GOVERNMENT IS NOW DICTATING WHAT I WEAR.
    My suggestion is, get used to the mask. The lockdowns will pass - and they better pass soon. However, privately-instituted safeguards will remain long after.

The hot-and-sweaty, heavy-breathing, shared-equipment, ClassPass-paying segment of the fitness industry (particularly, the boutique fitness industry in NYC) is going to suffer greatly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Hence the "when you get sick from it." As we know, not everyone with the virus gets sick. But if you do, you would wish it was the flu instead.
    The problem I have is that the hysterical emotion fueled social mob can’t seem to comprehend that many of us are capable of simultaneously accepting that this is in ways worse than the common flu while calling out the over-reacting of governments and many of our fellow citizens. I’m really tired of seeing, “so you want people to die????” constantly lobbed at people asking reasonable questions. I’m not saying that you specifically are doing this, just venting.