COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 1464

starting strength gym
Page 1464 of 2549 FirstFirst ... 4649641364141414541462146314641465146614741514156419642464 ... LastLast
Results 14,631 to 14,640 of 25487

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #14631
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    • starting strength seminar june 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Anybody see the parallels here? Ignaz Semmelweis | Biography & Facts | Britannica

    Ignaz Semmelweis - Wikipedia



    How much of the reaction to ivermectin is explained by this, and how much of it is just the money?
    The people on the top for sure are aware of the properties of certain antimalarial/parasitic and anti-inflammatory drugs' positive effects on this virus as well as others for a very long time. For them it's the money but more than that it's the power and whatever fucked up agenda they have planned. As for the general population including academics and professionals, the above theory fits very well.
    Quinine Dihydrochloride 1918 Doc.jpg

  2. #14632
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,542

  3. #14633
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I want to preface this by saying I didn't know a whole lot about policing a year ago, and that was with multiple friends in the profession. I have learned a tremendous amount, and I was wrong about a lot of it. I could only learn those lessons by doing it. I also thought that my military and federal service would have set me up for success, and for a few parts of the job I was over-prepared for. There was a LOT that I was not prepared for or qualified on out-of-the-gate, and the amount of certifications I needed to even be certified as an officer at a basic police level were kind of shocking. I was also only afforded a period of time similar to basic training in the military to be taught, trained and certified on them all together. I'm not bashing you in the slightest, or your ideas for that matter. I'm just trying to get across that the issues are deeply systemic beyond just the police agencies. It's political AND social, and all I can do as an individual officer, rookie that I am, is try to do my best on daily interactions. In a way, I selfishly enjoy seeing people calm down in a bad situation, tell me thank you after I've helped them start the process of addressing a crime against them through a report, or on the very rare occasion even getting a hug or a handshake from someone I've helped. It's all little deposits into the emotional bank account, and there are a lot of withdrawals (usually pretty big ones) on a daily basis. Had I not been previously stress/fear inoculated and experienced horrible sides of humanity to the point where I could make my peace with it, then I would likely already be sliding down into a bad place mentally and spiritually over this job. None of this is an excuse. I often like to phrase it as "there's not always a justification when a situation goes bad, but there's usually an explanation." It is my goal to dig down to the absolute root causes and find solutions to THOSE problems. Maybe some police agencies need to be emptied-out or even disbanded -- that's going to be on a case-by-case basis.

    I am legitimately sorry for those you've dealt with, but there's little that I can do about it beyond try to do better. It's the same way for every other officer or agent. We don't like the bad apples, either.
    I apologize for the extremely delayed response and if you are no longer interested in this conversation I totally understand. Life is just sort of kicking me around right now and I didn't have time.

    I genuinely appreciate that and I take it with the empathy it was clearly intended to convey. But at the same time the fact remains that people like me have no recourse. If we weren't starting shit then we can't change our behavior to avoid such bad interactions. We're at the mercy of those bad apples because even if we're brave enough to attempt to file some sort of complaint it's not met with any real acknowledgement or changes in policy or repercussions for the violator. In fact, the lack of action on the part of good officers is one of my chief issues. I understand there can be repercussions for officers too, but ya'll are the ones best in a position to force change and to force a bad officer out of the job. And then there's the default position of the courts that police officers are always to be believed. So even when something does make it to the courts, justice is rare.

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    ALSO, Jocko Willink is a great man, but his experience with policing was likely not much different than mine used to be. It's not that I don't welcome his suggestions -- I do. I agree with the underlying premises of a lot of his ideas and assertions, but then there's reality. Those ideas need a lot more refinement and work to get to a point where they could be usefully implemented, and even then they're likely prohibitively expensive with the way things are. Reform is expensive, and usually needs to be very large in scope to have a meaningful, or even noticeable, impact.
    Have you actually seen some of where he talks about this? Because honestly, you and he agree an awful lot. He discusses the money and time for training factor, as well. Jocko Willink Weighs In on Defunding the Police | Joe Rogan - YouTube I also think we could do a lot towards extending the resources police have by not having them act as revenue collectors and parents. I don't need someone to tell me I can't drink a beer on my porch when they could be chasing down the guy who car jacked the young college student one street over. But they get aimed at me and my porch beer because there's revenue to be collected there. Politicians do that, not cops. Or at least that's the way it seems. Not sure any young men start their early life thinking "I wanna be a cop so I can stop middle aged widows from having open containers within city limits."

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I agree. We spent a lot of time on Constitutional Law in the academy -- an entire week, which is a ridiculous block of time compared to everything else. We only were afforded that much time for pistol range and defense tactics, by comparison. Perhaps the most surprising part, for me, was learning that the Bill of Rights was no longer absolute, but, instead of politicians and police treading on rights, it was the courts who slowly made allowances through case law and supreme court decisions over the decades. It's also funny you mention the wolves/sheep dogs thing as it's a common idea. It has been heavy on my mind and heart lately that we don't need sheep dogs, either -- we need shepherds. Not just in policing, though, in every social and political institution. In our families. We need people who are capable but humble, strong but able to be gentle, and who live and speak Truth as unwaveringly as possible. I think that this community built around strength training has a very deep connection with that sort of person, and I haven't figured it out yet. I think it has something to do with strength training being an endeavor that is necessarily face-to-face with the nature of reality, and it's also suffering in the correct way -- for a purpose.

    My body of posts in this thread represents my early conclusions on what must be done. It likely will change over time, and it will also be unavoidably biased towards what's happening in my city, county and state. I just hope everyone possesses the resolve and character to see what will be years, if not decades, of slow improvements on both long-standing issues and whatever comes up while we're fixing it.
    I agree. The courts have not been a friend to any of us. But at the same time where is the line where the individual cop says, "This is wrong. This is not what I signed up to do." This is another area where collectively the police and their unions have more power than the average citizen. They could refuse to enforce the changes courts make the same as in some areas they have refused to enforce masks and whatnot. It would at the very least be a step, draw attention, and let people know the police at least want to act honorably.


    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I think I've already covered much of this point, but I do think you hit on something important -- the money issue. It will need to be changed to be a start towards fixing agencies, but there's far more that's required. People are going to have to start doing things beyond just what makes economic sense. People, and I mean everybody, are going to have to start acting out of civic duty and moral imperative, again. Otherwise, any solutions to any problems, not simply policing, are likely going to be insufficient to what we face.
    I think this is the heart of our disagreement. I think, at a core level (perhaps because you are in law enforcement) you are simply more optimistic than I am about the potential for good and change. I think everyone is making too much money and power off the current paradigm for it to be improved. I think the rare decent men (like yourself) who go into law enforcement for the right reasons will either eventually move on to something else or be corrupted themselves because there's no other way to survive it.

    Tell me, what do you think of more decentralization of police forces? I can imagine in a place like Texas, for example, there would be radically different ways of policing Dallas vs Wichita Falls. Here, while JPD is separate the MBI (MS Bureau of Investigation) has its grubby little fingers in everyone's pies. And you can tell it by the corruption scandals we've had.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    The agenda being keeping people away from social media? This would be a huge positive for the whole world. For instance, you would be much happier if they banned you from Twitter.
    I agree moving away from social media is good but I disagree with banning anyone from much of anything. Choice is always better. Let water seek its level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Masks are coming back, very fast.
    And then some.

    Report from the wild: I'm trying so hard to get my business restarted and the whole lockdown thing appears to be re-starting. Normally, by now (August) I'd have been totally booked for Thanksgiving and partially booked for Christmas and fielding New Year's inquiries. Last year nothing, of course. But this year it was picking up. I was partially booked up for Thanksgiving. I thought I was gonna make it. Places opening back up. Three of my bartender clients had returned to pre-pandemic hours. All that has changed in the last 2 weeks. Masks are going back on. I've had multiple cancellations for the holidays and bars are reducing hours in preparation for another "wave". I had to take a job doing the books at a local store to make ends meet so I'm basically working two jobs because I really don't want to give up my business. I don't have to wear a mask at the store because I'm in the office but all the floor staff does. In summer. In Mississippi. My daughter's gym has reduced hours and stopped towel service "due to the Delta variant". This whole thing is fucking ridiculous and I'm so fucking angry. This is what the powers that be want, it feels like. People like me who were relatively free to live their lives are now having to go from being pretty self sufficient to seeking work in the corporate world where vaccines and masks will be forced upon them. I've lived here all my life and I am seriously considering moving someplace like Montana because I just can't see living like this long term. (Does Witchita Falls have a doggy daycare? lol) Just having to go wherever the political wind shifts? Whatever politicians wake up this morning and want people to do to put money into the pockets of the establishment no matter how much it crushes our way of life? I can't plan for anything long term and that's no way to run a business. I don't wanna sit on my ass and collect stimulus checks. I want my fucking life back.

    This is kind of scary too: https://twitter.com/MichaelPSenger/s...03190593708033 Because I honestly am not willing to tolerate the level of interference these people seem determined to thrust upon us. I'm just not. But what happens when there's no place left to go? Surely there will be pockets of those of us who don't want to live like this? But it feels like this is going to get bad. Actual bad. Not "well, I guess I'm not flying Delta again" bad but really, really Maoist China bad.

    I'm also really disgusted by all the people pissing and moaning about a virus- something that is just a part of life on this planet- while choosing to stuff their faces with Big Macs and sit on their asses. Look, fat is fine. Fluffy is fine. Just be functional and eat decent and you won't really have a problem having a few pounds on you. But these people, even the skinny ones, wanna eat shit, take drugs to fix problems they could easily rid themselves of and then expect the rest of us to wear masks because they are so damn unhealthy that what's basically a flu virus might send their weak asses to the hospital. We have to sacrifice the way we live but they can't even slow the shoving of Cheetos down their gullets. If they are so fucking scared why aren't they fixing the real health issues in this country? Why are we dishing out millions in drugs so they can stay eating shit and turning to sludge on their couches? Why hasn't Fauci come out against McDonalds and Burger King? How come people like us who don't buy the company line about the vaccine are the enemy but Dominoes isn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonasfj70 View Post
    half of your federal tax goes to the defense industry which is creating nothing.
    Wow. You are stupid. Not ignorant, because I think you have the capacity to educate yourself it just wouldn't help your argument so you chose to remain stupid. Defense not only enables everything else it's the intersection of jobs, training, inventions, and the freedom you have to sit here and spout this stupid shit without some other nation's soldiers lining you up against a wall. We spend a lot of money on it, little man, because we are a high value target. Other nations spend less because they know in the end we will step in and save them. It's our vigilance that keeps the wolves from the doors. You aren't living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland because of our defense budget. You're welcome.

  4. #14634
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    The people on the top for sure are aware of the properties of certain antimalarial/parasitic and anti-inflammatory drugs' positive effects on this virus as well as others for a very long time.
    Concerning quinine, it has been extracted from the bark of the Chinchona tree by South American Indians of the Amazon forest and used to treat fever since the seventeenth century.
    4-Aminoquinoline compounds from the Spanish flu to COVID-19 - ScienceDirect

  5. #14635
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I apologize for the extremely delayed response and if you are no longer interested in this conversation I totally understand. Life is just sort of kicking me around right now and I didn't have time.

    I genuinely appreciate that and I take it with the empathy it was clearly intended to convey. But at the same time the fact remains that people like me have no recourse. If we weren't starting shit then we can't change our behavior to avoid such bad interactions. We're at the mercy of those bad apples because even if we're brave enough to attempt to file some sort of complaint it's not met with any real acknowledgement or changes in policy or repercussions for the violator. In fact, the lack of action on the part of good officers is one of my chief issues. I understand there can be repercussions for officers too, but ya'll are the ones best in a position to force change and to force a bad officer out of the job. And then there's the default position of the courts that police officers are always to be believed. So even when something does make it to the courts, justice is rare.

    Have you actually seen some of where he talks about this? Because honestly, you and he agree an awful lot. He discusses the money and time for training factor, as well. Jocko Willink Weighs In on Defunding the Police | Joe Rogan - YouTube I also think we could do a lot towards extending the resources police have by not having them act as revenue collectors and parents. I don't need someone to tell me I can't drink a beer on my porch when they could be chasing down the guy who car jacked the young college student one street over. But they get aimed at me and my porch beer because there's revenue to be collected there. Politicians do that, not cops. Or at least that's the way it seems. Not sure any young men start their early life thinking "I wanna be a cop so I can stop middle aged widows from having open containers within city limits."

    I agree. The courts have not been a friend to any of us. But at the same time where is the line where the individual cop says, "This is wrong. This is not what I signed up to do." This is another area where collectively the police and their unions have more power than the average citizen. They could refuse to enforce the changes courts make the same as in some areas they have refused to enforce masks and whatnot. It would at the very least be a step, draw attention, and let people know the police at least want to act honorably.


    I think this is the heart of our disagreement. I think, at a core level (perhaps because you are in law enforcement) you are simply more optimistic than I am about the potential for good and change. I think everyone is making too much money and power off the current paradigm for it to be improved. I think the rare decent men (like yourself) who go into law enforcement for the right reasons will either eventually move on to something else or be corrupted themselves because there's no other way to survive it.

    Tell me, what do you think of more decentralization of police forces? I can imagine in a place like Texas, for example, there would be radically different ways of policing Dallas vs Wichita Falls. Here, while JPD is separate the MBI (MS Bureau of Investigation) has its grubby little fingers in everyone's pies. And you can tell it by the corruption scandals we've had.

    I agree moving away from social media is good but I disagree with banning anyone from much of anything. Choice is always better. Let water seek its level.

    And then some.

    Report from the wild: I'm trying so hard to get my business restarted and the whole lockdown thing appears to be re-starting. Normally, by now (August) I'd have been totally booked for Thanksgiving and partially booked for Christmas and fielding New Year's inquiries. Last year nothing, of course. But this year it was picking up. I was partially booked up for Thanksgiving. I thought I was gonna make it. Places opening back up. Three of my bartender clients had returned to pre-pandemic hours. All that has changed in the last 2 weeks. Masks are going back on. I've had multiple cancellations for the holidays and bars are reducing hours in preparation for another "wave". I had to take a job doing the books at a local store to make ends meet so I'm basically working two jobs because I really don't want to give up my business. I don't have to wear a mask at the store because I'm in the office but all the floor staff does. In summer. In Mississippi. My daughter's gym has reduced hours and stopped towel service "due to the Delta variant". This whole thing is fucking ridiculous and I'm so fucking angry. This is what the powers that be want, it feels like. People like me who were relatively free to live their lives are now having to go from being pretty self sufficient to seeking work in the corporate world where vaccines and masks will be forced upon them. I've lived here all my life and I am seriously considering moving someplace like Montana because I just can't see living like this long term. (Does Witchita Falls have a doggy daycare? lol) Just having to go wherever the political wind shifts? Whatever politicians wake up this morning and want people to do to put money into the pockets of the establishment no matter how much it crushes our way of life? I can't plan for anything long term and that's no way to run a business. I don't wanna sit on my ass and collect stimulus checks. I want my fucking life back.

    This is kind of scary too: https://twitter.com/MichaelPSenger/s...03190593708033 Because I honestly am not willing to tolerate the level of interference these people seem determined to thrust upon us. I'm just not. But what happens when there's no place left to go? Surely there will be pockets of those of us who don't want to live like this? But it feels like this is going to get bad. Actual bad. Not "well, I guess I'm not flying Delta again" bad but really, really Maoist China bad.

    I'm also really disgusted by all the people pissing and moaning about a virus- something that is just a part of life on this planet- while choosing to stuff their faces with Big Macs and sit on their asses. Look, fat is fine. Fluffy is fine. Just be functional and eat decent and you won't really have a problem having a few pounds on you. But these people, even the skinny ones, wanna eat shit, take drugs to fix problems they could easily rid themselves of and then expect the rest of us to wear masks because they are so damn unhealthy that what's basically a flu virus might send their weak asses to the hospital. We have to sacrifice the way we live but they can't even slow the shoving of Cheetos down their gullets. If they are so fucking scared why aren't they fixing the real health issues in this country? Why are we dishing out millions in drugs so they can stay eating shit and turning to sludge on their couches? Why hasn't Fauci come out against McDonalds and Burger King? How come people like us who don't buy the company line about the vaccine are the enemy but Dominoes isn't?

    Wow. You are stupid. Not ignorant, because I think you have the capacity to educate yourself it just wouldn't help your argument so you chose to remain stupid. Defense not only enables everything else it's the intersection of jobs, training, inventions, and the freedom you have to sit here and spout this stupid shit without some other nation's soldiers lining you up against a wall. We spend a lot of money on it, little man, because we are a high value target. Other nations spend less because they know in the end we will step in and save them. It's our vigilance that keeps the wolves from the doors. You aren't living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland because of our defense budget. You're welcome.
    All I can say is, if this thread should ever end, Id vote for this response to be the ultimate mic drop.

    Spectacular, Jenni.

  6. #14636
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonasfj70 View Post
    Broken Window Fallacy.

    The Broken-Window Fallacy | Mises Institute

    Do you understand that US is falling behind on infrastructure? It cost efficiency in the industry. Efficiency gives US workers a better chance to compete on the global market.
    I think it's just neato that I'm probably a good 10-15 years older than you, and I remember when I was a kid everyone talked about "crumbling infrastructure" as a decades-old problem.

    But, sure... American workers were floundering helplessly before the government stepped into help. I imagine more government intervention is the only, and final, solution.

    Jenni,

    I do want to engage with you, but my wife and I are in the same boat. Starting a business (her first, though... sorry, Rip. I wasn't putting you off. I just forgot to shoot you another email in the middle of Everything Else™), two toddlers, trying to lift, both working more than full-time, family illnesses (real ones). It's no small thing that it pouring rain every day I get a chance to mow the grass has a huge impact on our schedule (heh... heh).

    In short, I agree with a lot of what you've said. There's also a lot that's happened in a short time in my neck of the woods, and none of it especially good. I'll just say it has nothing to do with the troopers, sheriffs' deputies and officers here. It's the prosecutors, bureaucrats, politicians, etc. People are going to start noticing that it's going downhill (a minority have, already), and we are utterly powerless to do anything about it. I will tell you we'll probably just start going back to calls only, and not arresting you on your porch for a beer (at least around here we're more than likely to show up at the end of shift with a few cases after a beer run).

    A micro example: BJJ is good to learn body mechanics, splaying, etc. But a lot of officers, even, think it's just the bee's knees. Well, I've had to do defensive tactics, including ground fighting with a full duty belt on, and I can tell you that if you go to the ground with that you're done for. Ever tried working from the guard or while in the mount with a big-ass holster on one side and 35 extra pounds around your hips? It's worse on concrete, too. Or asphalt. Or gravel. Or wet grass. Or in a trash pile (and probably more than a few dirty needles in there).

    I tell you what, though, ma'am. I'll just keep doing what little I can in this world if you will, too. I doubt I'll be corrupted -- God made me weird like that, but I also just zen out and let what I can't change go right on by me. At this point, if my family who are vaccinated die of a super bug variant that they're susceptible to from deciding to take the shots, I'll be torn apart, but I'll sleep well knowing I tried my best to inform them of the deeper risks.

    That's all anyone can do. Laugh, cry or punch a wall... you may as well laugh, cry and leave the poor wall alone.

  7. #14637
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    419

    Default

    I love how the symptoms keep expanding to pretty much cover anything...it was fever, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, persistant cough....then they added sneezing, runny nose, MAGA hats, smelly farts, bad breath, and compainging about vaccine or maks mandates was considered a form of delirium like the hallucinations of dengue fever...now they include gun ownership, outside barbeques, muddy tires , and especially watching Fox news which is considered a life threatening COVID symptom and neighbors who see this are urged to call 911 immediately

  8. #14638
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,542

    Default

    https://startingstrength.com/contentimg/graph.png

    The dread Delta Variant at work.

  9. #14639
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I dont want to take these coronavirus injections. Eg the pfizer one is more effective than others but immunity wanes over time, it becomes 6% less effective every 2 months. So it doesnt seem like 2 injections is a realistic long term solution. Then theres the obvious questions about long term health implications...noone knows yet cos they havent been taken over a long period of time yet.
    Plus it seems the virus will just keep mutating, so will these injections become less effective with each future strain? If yes then why inject yourself with something now that may soon become obsolete?
    To me the whole thing seems like a big experiment. Its hard to be enthusiastic about participating.

    That being said, i definitely dont want to get this disgusting chinese man-made virus. Fuck that and fuck them. I wouldnt be surprised if they planned this, letting it out deliberately to put the rest of the world into chaos while they plot their takeover of taiwan.

    This might make me sound like a dickhead but I dont care its just honesty.
    I want to get out of Australia and travel and live my life, i wana start chasing women again, having casual sex again, partying in packed bars/clubs, living normally. But theres a decent chance ill get this chinese virus if i go back to living that carefree lifestyle that i miss. Im confident i could avoid the virus if i keep to myself and im super careful/paranoid all the time, but what kind of life is that?

    If i had to choose between either getting the chinese virus or getting the injections, id prefer the lesser of 2 evils and get the injections. That doesnt mean i think they are safe, but if theres a decent chance ill get the virus anyway if i leave australia and live how i wana live (look at the case numbers rising again in usa for example) then im starting to think should i just give in, get the injections and move on?

    Whats everyone else been doing? Getting the injections or not getting them?

  10. #14640
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,542

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmll View Post
    I want to get out of Australia and travel and live my life, i wana start chasing women again, having casual sex again, partying in packed bars/clubs, living normally. But theres a decent chance ill get this chinese virus if i go back to living that carefree lifestyle that i miss. Im confident i could avoid the virus if i keep to myself and im super careful/paranoid all the time, but what kind of life is that?

    If i had to choose between either getting the chinese virus or getting the injections, id prefer the lesser of 2 evils and get the injections. That doesnt mean i think they are safe, but if theres a decent chance ill get the virus anyway if i leave australia and live how i wana live (look at the case numbers rising again in usa for example) then im starting to think should i just give in, get the injections and move on?
    You have clearly bought the propaganda. Are you 78 years old with asthma and obesity? You are scared of getting sick? You've never been sick before? What the fuck is wrong with you?????

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •