starting strength gym
Page 1568 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 56810681468151815581566156715681569157015781618166820682568 ... LastLast
Results 15,671 to 15,680 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by UFPASquat View Post
    Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thought this was good… your body my choice? - by el gato malo - bad cattitude
    unless you’re willing to erect fat-camp gulags, dose klonopin in the water of minority neighborhoods, and deny medical care to diabetics, be very careful just what vampire you invite into your home here.

because it’s easy to let them in.

getting them out is another matter.

are you ready for another foray into eugenics? culls of groups and gene signatures that show increased risk for anti-social behavior? because the rulings and prerogatives invoked last night are the same ones these groups used to suggest doing so not so very long ago.

are you ready for lists of political enemies and outgroup roundups because they “did not heed our demands”?

do you really want a system where coercive force is wielded upon people for what they MIGHT do (like spread disease or commit murder or need a triple bypass) because distant demagogues claim it serves the common good?

is statistical likelihood a good guide to punishable culpability and loss of liberty?

because that’s the fire you’re playing with.
    This guy is good.

I've just read an update on an italian site on the rules to enter the US as an Italian. listen to this:
    -You still can't go to the U.S. if you have been in Italy during the prior 14 days, same rule as May 2020
    There are some exceptions
    Between those exceptions:

-if you are vaccinated you have to take a PCR test in the previous 72 hrs before the flight, and then take another test between 3 to 5 days after you arrive. This applies for anyone above 2 years old. 2 years old.

-if you are not vaccinated you do the same thing but if your second test comes back negative you have to isolate for "only" 7 days starting from the day you enter the country.
    If it's positive, for 10 days. If you take no test you automatically have to isolate for 10 days.

Can anyone give me any, ANY, scientific explanation for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fun numbers from Denninger: I Hate Being Right in [Market-Ticker-Nad]

Look at the first table.
    Does he ever do any interviews? If he's correct and interpreting the data correctly, I'd want to hear him discuss this with someone familiar with the data who would disagree with him.

His writing what is in essence a blog post won't move the needle. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I've just read an update on an italian site on the rules to enter the US as an Italian. listen to this:
    -You still can't go to the U.S. if you have been in Italy during the prior 14 days, same rule as May 2020
    There are some exceptions
    Between those exceptions:

-if you are vaccinated you have to take a PCR test in the previous 72 hrs before the flight, and then take another test between 3 to 5 days after you arrive. This applies for anyone above 2 years old. 2 years old.

-if you are not vaccinated you do the same thing but if your second test comes back negative you have to isolate for "only" 7 days starting from the day you enter the country.
    If it's positive, for 10 days. If you take no test you automatically have to isolate for 10 days.

Can anyone give me any, ANY, scientific explanation for this?
    It’s all legal. They want no reasonable liability in case anything happens.

But how would you even get here? Italy doesn’t have an airline and none of the carriers are going there now.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Does he ever do any interviews? If he's correct and interpreting the data correctly, I'd want to hear him discuss this with someone familiar with the data who would disagree with him.

His writing what is in essence a blog post won't move the needle. Unfortunately.
    Do you doubt the accuracy of his data?

Fun numbers from Denninger: I Hate Being Right in [Market-Ticker-Nad]

Look at the first table.

Here's the original report for those that would like to see more than the data picked out here.

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._-_week_36.pdf

Do you doubt the accuracy of his data?
    I don't know what to believe. But that wasn't my point. My point was that he would need to have a discussion, with some real 'publicity' vs a blog post to prove he's right and 'they' are wrong.

There may be, what, 3000 people who will read that post. That won't make a difference. And if there's 30k people that read it, it won't make a difference.

Need difference makers. I'm not one of them. Right now, he's not either, even though he's right. Sucks, but our side is losing, and losing big.

starting strength coach development program
    It's very good.

"if we take as a guiding principal that people must submit, even against their will, to health interventions they would not willingly choose in order to serve the common good and keep hospital availability high by not using up scarce resources so that others might have them at need, what other policies can we justify?

well, quite a few it would seem.

how about demanding that all obese people submit immediately to forced programs of exercise, dietary restriction, and even surgical intervention such as lap bands if they fail to lose enough weight to drop their risk to a societally determined acceptable level? 30-50% of health spending in the US can, one way or another, be traced back to obesity. imagine how much we could save and how much would be left for the rest of us if we took a “zero corpulence” policy to heart.

shall we declare ourselves out of patience with this epidemic of BMI and demand not just an accounting but action on what their refusal has cost us all? if not, why not?

after all, exercise and good diet have almost entirely positive side effects. what have they got to lose apart from 30 pounds and 3 comorbidities? shouldn’t the labor and health agencies force them to do what is right for themselves and all of us? the help against even covid would be profound. or is this simply a choice we have no right to force on people just because it might benefit us?

provoked yet? let’s get more provocative.

young male members of certain minority groups account for a vast share of gunshot wounds (and gunshot wound infliction) in this country. gun control has zero effect on this and seems to actually make it worse. (look at the top cities/neighborhoods for shooting deaths)

but we could almost certainly stop this with medical interventions using testosterone blockers or mood stabilizers like xanax or klonopin. do these groups owe it to us to take these drugs they do not want in order to stop clogging ER’s and surgical suites with needless wounds and inflicting such harm on others in society? we might make neighborhoods far safer and more livable as a knock on effect! or do we think maybe this is a grotesque violation of human rights and a form of presumptive punishment over what someone MIGHT or is merely statistically likely to do?

shall we deny medical care to people with diabetes who fail to take sufficient care of themselves to keep their A1C’s within safe ranges? if they will not put in the time to care for themselves, why should medicare and medicaid spend something on the order of 15-20% of their total outlays to manage the ill effects of the microvascular damage and other problems arising from poor glycemic management? if these people will not follow federal guidelines for care, why should federal funds be spent to pay for the costs of “their refusal” on all of us? or is maybe vilifying people for a medical condition and extorting them into compliance by dire threats and vicious moral opprobrium just plain evil?

i could go on and on here, but i suspect by now you get the point."
    The problem here is that these points do not reflect settled law regarding vaccine mandates. Vaccine mandates regarding the smallpox vaccine were upheld by the Supreme Court in 1905 as cited by "Jacobson v. Massachusetts" which ruled that you don't have the freedom to place other people at risk. This ruling was later upheld regarding vaccine mandates for children in school and was referred to as settled law. Recently the Supreme Court refused to hear a case against Indiana University's required vaccine mandate, further cementing this as settled law.

Other peoples obesity and diabetes does not place someone else at risk as these are not communicable diseases so these aren't apt comparisons. The whole minorities and gunshot argument is simply too ridiculous to comment on. But I will say it is also strange to say that gun control doesn't work when there have been no meaningful gun control restrictions that have been placed into law, but that is an entirely different discussion.

If you want to make the case that certain groups should pay more for health insurance for poor lifestyle choices (smoking, obesity, etc), I'm all for it. Why should I pay more for health insurance because (the proverbial) you wanted to smoke for 50 years. I personally think the same should be said for those who refuse to be vaccinated for COVID. I can guarantee that insurance companies currently have actuaries looking into this and I certainly would prefer those who are unvaccinated to pay more for their insurance. Why should I pay for your poor choice? If you work for the federal government (or you are contracted by the federal government) and you don't want to get your required vaccine, you have the option to find a new job. Remember, you aren't being fired, but you quit based upon your beliefs. Same goes for any private sector employer. Why should they risk their employees being absent from the office, factory, etc. because people didn't want to get their vaccine. It will cost them money and drag down the economy if large portions of their employees are out sick. I am betting that once people are shown consequences for their choices things will change. But if people are fine with having their employment opportunities limited and paying higher care premiums so they don't have to get the vaccine that is perfectly fine with me.