starting strength gym
Page 18 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028681185181018 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What then is the solution, or best course of action?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    This "flattening of the curve" bullshit is an influenza response protocol that depends on the seasonality of the influenza virus and some major assumptions to maybe, possibly work if things go just right.
    Are you suggesting that isolation measures / social distancing won't help flatten the curve, because this is not an influenza virus? If so, walk me through your reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    And yes, if the curve is flattened, there will likely be greater opportunities for the virus to mutate into a more deadly strain.
    Mutation is largely a numbers game - the more replications, the more opportunities for mutation. The more mutations, the more opportunities for an "unfortunate mutation".

Social distancing spreads the viral replication over a longer period, it doesn't increase the number of replications.

If anything, it decreases the number of replications, since measures that flatten the curve also tend to reduce the area under the curve (i.e. total number infected). And it may also allow for less replications per individual, if anti-viral therapies have any success.

Finally, flattening the curve allows for more time to develop antivirals and vaccines, which also reduce the number of replications.

Takeaway Numero Uno (which is Spanish for...number uno):

At the press conference, Breed said the federal government has had a “terrible” response to the virus.

“But sadly, now is not the time to point fingers,” Breed said. “It’s the time to come together and provide as many resources as we can locally.”

Of course NOW is not the time...need that to be closer to say...November perhaps?

My other takeaway is the order does NOT apply to the homeless, but they ARE encouraged to seek shelter (insert rim shot here).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Meaning this is about the gov't overstepping their role?

Quote Originally Posted by Geedubu View Post
    I don’t see or hear anyone talking about the possibility that we have been exposed to this for some time.
    You are quite correct. If anyone has tried simple mathematical modelling of the disease, there are several scenarios in which the data are pointing to a patient zero as early as September in China. It will likely never be known though.

Look at all of these jackasses who recognize the nearly 100% historical failure rate for quarantines (sarcasm)

How dare he contradict the almighty media collective!?
    YouTube

"“We can give orders, but if you don’t follow it, it’s useless,” “We all must do our part.” - Every communist and authoritarian government in history + the comrades in San Francisco government.

How many hours until we see extreme unrest and possible rioting or looting in SF?

Should we create a

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Seems like we should be quarantining old people, say anyone over 65. And like in a hard core draconian way.
    Not they would prevent the further spreading so much, but to buffer the number of admissions to the hospitals when the eventually come down with it.
    I don't understand HOW THIS wasn't considered immediately. Lock down LTC and ALFs. And put measures in place to strongly encourage older folks to stay @ home. Then, maybe, the rest of the world wouldn't be shut down?

Problem is (think Rogan's guest said this), you shut close off these facilities and what do these poor, old folks have left? Not much, I'd think. So it would be a tough balance.

Two of my aunts (one on each side), my M-grandfather, my P-grandmother and mom's cousins were or are all in homes. I don't know how I'd feel if their places had been inaccessible. They are/were the highest risk.

I live in NYC and all gyms are closed as of 8 pm tonight by mandatory government order. How many other people in this situation? Could be months before they re-open. Love all the people telling me “just jog outside”

Unfortunately most people in nyc don’t have the space to have a home gym. I was able to negotiate a small basement area in my building where they will hopefully let me setup a rack (ordered that, weights, bench, bar today from rogue) - now just anxiously awaiting its arrival

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Reinterpreting their role.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    It sounds to me like you lack the imagination to understand the rock and a hard place your society is jammed into right now by this intense tidal wave of infection. It can cause chaos and NOBODY wins if it does. It’s maybe damned if you do, definitely fucked if you don’t, at this point.
    It doesn't take any imagination, my obedient komrade. And it already has caused chaos. And your society is jammed into the same rock/hard place, if not more so. And there is no intense tidal wave of infection -- only hysteria. And there is no good data upon which to act, but that hasn't stopped the actions that are in the process of destroying the economy.

If this thing was a Chinese bioweapons test (as some have suggested), we just failed it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Reinterpreting their role.
    Do you think that a government ought to exercise such control over society in this sort of situation?

If not, what would be a better move?