COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 1854

starting strength gym
Page 1854 of 2164 FirstFirst ... 854135417541804184418521853185418551856186419041954 ... LastLast
Results 18,531 to 18,540 of 21640

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #18531
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    • starting strength seminar june 2022
    • starting strength seminar august 2022
    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    Can anyone steer me towards reliable statistics on vaccinated Vs un-vaccinated in regards to Covid infection rates-hospitalizations-deaths? Also, statistics on vaccinated (12-18 year old's) that have had complications with myocarditis etc... hospitalizations or death? I am a football coach in Texas and our school district has decided to quarantine every un-vaccinated player or coach even if they are without symptoms IF any member of our program tests positive for Covid. Vaccinated players or coaches are not quarantined unless they are symptomatic. This new policy will be a huge problem for us as the majority of our players and coaches are un-vaccinated. I am willing to fight this policy but I need some info related to the first 2 sentences of my post. I have organized the information I have learned on this thread but need the missing stats on what I stated above. Thank you to everyone on this site for their intelligence and common sense related to this post!!! Being in education for 30 years this is un-fortunately rare in the world I work in~

  2. #18532
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Alford View Post
    Can anyone steer me towards reliable statistics on vaccinated Vs un-vaccinated in regards to Covid infection rates-hospitalizations-deaths? Also, statistics on vaccinated (12-18 year old's) that have had complications with myocarditis etc... hospitalizations or death?
    The school district is not interested in the facts, and you can gather all the data you want to present to them with absolutely no effect on their decision. As we have pointed out for almost 2 years now, none of this is about the virus, the disease the virus causes, or biology. It is about control and the appearance of control. I suspect they are getting paid to implement this policy.

    I am a football coach in Texas and our school district has decided to quarantine every un-vaccinated player or coach even if they are without symptoms IF any member of our program tests positive for Covid.
    For a disease that does not affect school-age children in any significant way, and when the vaccine is rapidly proving to be far more dangerous to this demographic than the disease itself. They didn't do this for the flu, or the mumps or chickenpox or measles or warts or any other communicable disease, but now -- for reasons that make absolutely no logical sense -- we cannot allow anyone to get sick. Look:

    Vaccinated players or coaches are not quarantined unless they are symptomatic.
    Has your school district misplaced its dictionary? Why would you work for a school district without a dictionary? What does a "vaccine" actually do here in 2022? How would a "vaccinated" player become "symptomatic" if the vaccine worked? And if there is a provision for "vaccinated" players to be quarantined, is that not an admission that the vaccination policy is pointless and contradictory?

    This new policy will be a huge problem for us as the majority of our players and coaches are un-vaccinated. I am willing to fight this policy but I need some info related to the first 2 sentences of my post. I have organized the information I have learned on this thread but need the missing stats on what I stated above. Thank you to everyone on this site for their intelligence and common sense related to this post!!! Being in education for 30 years this is un-fortunately rare in the world I work in~
    You cannot fight this policy at the administrative level, because education bureaucrats are not actually thinking human beings. They merely occupy an office and draw a salary, and they have already decided what they are going to do. There are only two courses of action:

    1. You and the rest of the coaches AND THE PLAYERS can walk out, get in your cars, and go home, after explaining why to the media. Bureaucrats retain one human characteristic: they don't like to be publicly embarrassed. This may make them withdraw the policy.

    2. Even if 1. does work, it is long past time for you to disassociate yourself from this corrupt system and these corrupt pieces of shit. SS Gyms is hiring, they are paying more than you are making now, and we need good experienced people who want to actually make a positive difference in the lives of other good people. Think about it.

  3. #18533
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    I believe that the source of this complaint is our reluctance with communicating uncertainty, and it could be just my perception of the situation. Hell it could even just be me, specifically. For example, early on we should have not unequivocally said 'masks prevent transmission'. The data were not strong enough. What we did have was mechanistic laboratory data that suggest that masks may be effective at reducing transmission, and the real world effect on transmission had not been demonstrated. We should have said that instead. What we did was set up a situation for factions to form in an area that was uncertain, and because we did not communicate that uncertainty, we did not leave room for or tolerate discussion. Obviously this is not the only way we screwed up communication.
    Why did you say what you said, instead of what you should have said? Explain the underlying reason for this “reluctance with communicating uncertainty”. What were the negative consequences of communicating uncertainty?

  4. #18534
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,428

    Default

    And while we're busy asking Dr. Grantham questions, I'd like to know why he never actually says anything with any certainty or conviction at all. All of his long replies consist of weasel-words -- we point out what he said, and he says that's not what he said. Now he will say that he did say something, and that we didn't understand it, and to show him an example of him actually not saying anything. Is this just what academic PhDs do to keep their jobs, and he's in the habit of doing so everywhere?

  5. #18535
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Do you, like, really believe this or are you just fucking with us?
    Yes, I do. No, I'm not fucking with you.

    This is what is so awesome about it. It sounds fucking crazy to those who have not read the book. I invite you to read the book and join the crazy crowd (maybe also check out the Julian Jaynes Society). Or, try to poke holes in it. Either way, it will be an experience.

  6. #18536
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And while we're busy asking Dr. Grantham questions, I'd like to know why he never actually says anything with any certainty or conviction at all. All of his long replies consist of weasel-words -- we point out what he said, and he says that's not what he said. Now he will say that he did say something, and that we didn't understand it, and to show him an example of him actually not saying anything. Is this just what academic PhDs do to keep their jobs, and he's in the habit of doing so everywhere?
    I wonder who is this “we” that the doctor speaks of.

    Quote Originally Posted by David.Lewis View Post
    Yes, I do. No, I'm not fucking with you.

    This is what is so awesome about it. It sounds fucking crazy to those who have not read the book. I invite you to read the book and join the crazy crowd (maybe also check out the Julian Jaynes Society). Or, try to poke holes in it. Either way, it will be an experience.
    Hahah thanks. It sounds like an interesting argument. I bought it, I will get back to you if I have anything intelligent to say about it.

  7. #18537
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Alford View Post
    our school district has decided to quarantine every un-vaccinated player or coach even if they are without symptoms IF any member of our program tests positive for Covid.
    Did they give a reason for this overreaction? Is the same policy being implemented in classrooms in your district?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Why did you say what you said, instead of what you should have said? Explain the underlying reason for this “reluctance with communicating uncertainty”. What were the negative consequences of communicating uncertainty?
    These are excellent questions, and I don't think I have an answer for them right now. I'm going to think on this a while and come back to it. If I don't get back to it in a day or two, feel free bring it back up.

  8. #18538
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think Davison made the point that the increased mortality was probably due to all causes created by the response to the "pandemic," including the vaccines, greatly reduced access to medical services and the attendant delay in diagnoses of serious illnesses, social isolation and the psychological effects, drug and alcohol abuse due to stress and boredom, and several other things I can't think of right now. If Kirsch wants to blame it all on the vaccines, that would be kinda typical, but incomplete.
    Coach, this is exactly what I was thinking too, and it makes much more sense.

    Imagine your average American: fat, poor eating habits, not lifting heavy things, and on multiple medications that keep their body alive. Now, make those people even more sedentary than they were before, encourage them to eat more takeout at home while they either work from home or sit on the couch unemployed watching Netflix and porn all day, and yank away their doctors and hospital visits and medical procedures because COVID. Those people are going to die sooner rather than later. And, I bet there is good overlap between those people and the people in the group insurance pools.

  9. #18539
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    442

    Default

    That's fine, Grantham. Meanwhile, let me rule out some incorrect answers.

    Uncertain statements aren't easy enough for the public to digest
    In 2022, the "lay public" is surprisingly adept at managing uncertainty. Maybe they can't parse the quantifiers of a statistical theorem, but they have experience being lied to.

    We would face reprisal from the public for making uncertain statements
    The public was more apprehensive of overconfident statements.

    Uncertain statements are ignored outside of academic circles
    The entire world was fixated on these topics, and funding was generous, so you do not share the usual plight of the academic who can neither market nor fund their work.

    Media headlines squeezed all the uncertainty out of our work
    This is partially true. However, this does not address your reluctance to make uncertain statements.

    Bad actors would fixate on high/low error bars to suit their own agendas
    Possibly, but is that preferable to being a bad actor yourself?

  10. #18540
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    422

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And while we're busy asking Dr. Grantham questions, I'd like to know why he never actually says anything with any certainty or conviction at all. All of his long replies consist of weasel-words -- we point out what he said, and he says that's not what he said. Now he will say that he did say something, and that we didn't understand it, and to show him an example of him actually not saying anything. Is this just what academic PhDs do to keep their jobs, and he's in the habit of doing so everywhere?
    I try not to state things as fact if there is the possibility that it's not fact. Is there a way to do that with certainty and conviction?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •