starting strength gym
Page 188 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 881381781861871881891901982382886881188 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 30184

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One raw data point on the psychological impact of the shutdown . . .

A major part of the top-level problem appears to be the media, all sides of it. The shutdown is becoming a Fact of Nature through repetition. "The New Normal", various mawkish sentimentalities, echoes of PJ-boy, stars gathering to sing to us.

It's physically revolting. Unintentional side effects of nice intentions. This is how we slide and slouch.

And it's having an odd (that is, unexpected, since I am callous) effect on one of my kids (15 yo girl) - closest to empath Counselor Troi. The various "public service" ads don't seem to have an emotional effect on her, except perhaps to raise the water mark. But the millions of jobless claims brought her to the verge of tears. She sees it as a global problem, which to her means no way out. Concern about that, school closures, a devastated service sector, started spilling out of her. I talked her down.

I still maintain a wan hope that it'll all turn on a dime when we're given back our freedom. A utterance pregnant with meaning in its meaninglessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    I feel like we have some common ground here. I feel similarly unqualified to positively identify abuse, as do my colleagues who've felt compelled to report it. Especially because I work with special needs students who are often physically aggressive at home, or who may make statements about self-harm that they don't actually mean. That's why we take the obligation so seriously. We're well aware of the implications that reporting can have on families.
    I thank you for including this detail about the students you work with. It puts much more creedence behind your unease with my opinion. I know that that population is incredibly more susceptible and vulnerable to domestic violence and abuse than the population at large. Also, I don't envy your job. My friends and colleagues who work in your field are better men and women than I. I can barely handle having a single adult student with relatively mild disabilities like tourettes or autism in a class, so how you deal with a room full of them is beyond me. Granted, I'm not trained for that, but nonetheless I would never elect to receive that training in the first place. Also, sorry if my cavalier use of the anachronistic synonym for special needs offended you. I probably would have avoided it had I known this was your fieldhouse.

Where I think we differ is on your point about a boxer vs. a kid with a shitty stepdad. Sounds like you deal with typical students who are, for all intents and purposes, adults. I deal with minors, and the few who are of legal age are still vulnerable. We don't have many boxers in our population, so the shitty stepdad situation is more likely. It's still a fine line to walk though.
    Yes, this truism about adults vs children holds a lot of weight. I am, perhaps, somewhat guilty of the complicity you abhor when it comes to my willingness to involve the government in the lives of other adults. Children, I understand, are a different ballgame.

Also, one of the qualities I admire most about Canadians, along with your general easygoingness, is that, as a county, you value quantity over quality. Lennox Lewis is inarguably one of the top 5 heavyweights of all time; Arturo Gatti had the heart of a lion and is one of incredibly few lightweights that was entertaining to watch and his trilogy with Mikey Ward is the stuff of legend; Donovan Ruddock, according to Mike Tyson, hit harder than anyone he ever fought. He also had an unparalleled shovel hook, the likes of which have never been seen before or since he fought; and Tommy Burns is, in my opinion, next to Ali, one of the finest people to ever practice the sweet science. At a time in history when white boxers in this country were being arrested for boxing against non-whites, he fought against a Native American, a dozen Black boxers, and a Jew (he was the first heavyweight ever to defend his title against a Jew). He also went the distance with Jack Johnson, which is absolutely nothing to sneeze at (especially considering Burns was all of 5'7"), and speaks all that needs to be said about his talents as a boxer. Also, also, fun fact: He was married to a black woman at the same time in history when Jack Johnson was arrested for being married to a white woman. If you have (literally) two minutes, the recording of his 1907 title defense against Bill Squires is worth a watch. Trevor Berbick gets honorable mention for being the heavyweight champ that lost the titles to Mike Tyson, making Tyson the youngest heavyweight champion in history.

Snipers are another testament to the quality over quantity ethos of the Canadian people that I most admire. The list of longest distance confirmed sniper kills is unduly populated with Canadians. I don't know how the hell you guys do this considering you don't even manufacture your own rifles. It's truly incredible.

My partner finds herself in LA fairly regularly for work, and one of these days I hope to accompany her. I don't expect the free lifetime membership to SSLA that George earned himself, but if I ever make my way there I'd love to poke my head in and buy you a beer.
    SS Vancouver was something I hoped to eventually get off the ground before the world stopped spinning. I suppose this doesn't mean much to you being, as you are, on the other side of the country so here's to hoping you make it out here some day soon.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I always allow for chances of an exception when dealing with useful stereotypes.
    You, sir, are a better man than I.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    Once again, are people not sick? Would you prefer to wait until large numbers of bodies start to pile up before we act? Have you read up on "Typhoid Mary" yet? Do you see the fault of your prior analogy?
    Isn't the whole 'flatten the curve' bullshit predicated on the notion that bodies are going to be piling up no matter what we do? Yes, yes it is, in which case let the bodies pile as they may and please stop acting altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You fucking moron, the sick are the best off in this mess. You are like talking to the floor. You will not understand the following: YouTube
    You know shit just got really real when Rip is marshalling a Brit against that ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    Why, you ask, my Northern brother? Because I've been wrongly accused of serious crimes before and that shit never stops haunting you. It cost me my employment, potential future employment, all of my dozen or so firearms (nevermind the 2nd amendment implications, this is many thousands of dollars of an investment that never loses its value), and several tens of thousand of dollars in legal fees, to scratch the surface. I wouldn't wish the justice system, here nor there, on my worst enemy and that's not an exaggeration.
    ...Americans are indeed hypervigilant against tyranny. It is one of our redeeming characteristics...
    Shit.

If we were really hypervigilant against tyranny, we would never have tolerated these "requirement to report" laws or have allowed this guilt by accusation system to grow.

Turns out the lead NIH "expert" researcher in charge of vaccine development actually did comment on the racist nature of the virus CFR. She even suggested it may be an attempt at black genocide.

Top coronavirus researcher tweeted that doctors might let blacks die of COVID-19 | Daily Mail Online

She has since restricted viewing of her twitter account, which seems to focus more on social justice than virology.

excellent discussion with Dr. David L. Katz

Perspectives on the Pandemic | Dr. David L. Katz | Episode 3

Once again, are people not sick? Would you prefer to wait until large numbers of bodies start to pile up before we act? Have you read up on "Typhoid Mary" yet? Do you see the fault of your prior analogy?
    Another fascinating contribution from Bubonic Bruno.

2008 Nobel Prize in Medicine winner and discoverer of the HIV virus, Luc Montagnier believes the WuHan virus is an accidental lab release of a manipulated coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    If the .gov returns itself to pre-C19 spending
    In the next year or two, you're gonna see government spending at levels that you previously thought were completely impossible. You will also likely see government interventions like nationalizing sectors of economy, that the Anglo-American world can't even begin to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Peter Robinson interviewed one of the guys involved with that Santa Clara County study

YouTube
    Robinson didn't just interview one of the guys, he interviewed THE guy. I can't wait for Dr. Bhattacharya to publish his other studies. Until then here's another one from Boston (sans homeless people). Nearly a third of 200 blood samples taken in Chelsea show exposure to coronavirus - The Boston Globe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You fucking moron, the sick are the best off in this mess. You are like talking to the floor. You will not understand the following: YouTube
    Indeed, the healthy are being sacrificed to the sick. Strangely mirroring the economic fact that those who are careless with their money, corrupt or too lazy to earn, are the beneficiaries of the sacrifice of all the other honest, hard workers who are responsible savers.

The weak truly appear to be inheriting the earth.

starting strength coach development program
    It will be in the government’s best interest for there to be “piles” of bodies when this is all said in done. Especially If they are going to try to justify pissing on the Bill of Rights.

First the Diamond Princess study and now this!!! This Ioannidis guy must really want old people to die!

YouTube