starting strength gym
Page 2052 of 3071 FirstFirst ... 105215521952200220422050205120522053205420622102215225523052 ... LastLast
Results 20,511 to 20,520 of 30704

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #20511
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South of France
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Thank you for your response. And thus, the not even remotely questionable illegality of Putin's "special operation" into Ukraine.
    Imho, legality ceased to be a valid metric to judge this sort of operations the moment NATO started its operations in Serbia, thus demonstrating that international law was a fiction. In the process, a lot of masks of hypocrisy fell quite loudly, for those with functioning eyes and ears.
    Not that there was any doubt anyway; international law has always been just a thin veneer over power struggles between nations. It was only valid as far as the interests of the dominant hegemon(s) were safeguarded, and ignored otherwise.

    Is this a good state of affairs? Not at all.
    Could a better way to arrange international affairs be found? Well, there was the UN and its processes, cumbersome though they were, but someone decided it was a hindrance; and, again, it was not Russia.


    IPB


    PS
    I would like to reiterate my thanks to our gracious host, who allows people to freely express their opinions even when they are not sympathetic to his country.


    Another PS

    For those who talk about legality, can I have some information on the international legal basis for applying unilateral sanctions (never mind confiscation of private property for people holding a certain passport)?

  2. #20512
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    Probably a Jew. I think he is optimistic because he has to be for his job. If he can't convince people he knows his stuff and can make money for them even in such a crazy time, then he can not get clients or keep the trust of the ones he has.
    Sure, business interests certainly come into play. I had a thought on reading this. If we accept Jeff's idea that the eurodollar is the actual reserve currency, and if we follow the highly deflationary eurodollar destruction episodes since 2008, we could probably map out a timeline of global dedollarization. That is, as soon as the State Department bullies, the neocons, the Davos people if you will, started using the dollar as a weapon in imposing sanctions on parties which did not want to toe the line, they sent a signal to the rest of the world to start working up alternatives. We are probably in a later stage of this process now. But you know, these things are somewhat intellectually challenging, but they are starting to bore me. I should probably get to work on reading the religious philosophy you send me.

  3. #20513
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,377

  4. #20514
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David.Lewis View Post
    For whatever reason, these guys assign far too much weight to the Federal Reserve.
    John Tamny cuts through all this bullshit in about 2 minutes...
    He is ignoring one of the biggest issues we have with the Federal Reserve system; It is tied in with Cede and Co, the SEC and many other financial bodies that are completely unelected, unregulated and secretive (almost certainly corrupt beyond comprehension).
    His argument fails to see the public market system for what it is; it is a massive loan system controlled by the powers at Cede and Co, who control the Fed almost like a subsidiary.
    This system of lending is much much bigger than anything banks do through traditional lending to individuals and small businesses.
    It is an extreme stretch of the imagination to think of it as something that is inconsequential.

  5. #20515
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Imho, legality ceased to be a valid metric to judge this sort of operations the moment NATO started its operations in Serbia, thus demonstrating that international law was a fiction. In the process, a lot of masks of hypocrisy fell quite loudly, for those with functioning eyes and ears.
    Not that there was any doubt anyway; international law has always been just a thin veneer over power struggles between nations. It was only valid as far as the interests of the dominant hegemon(s) were safeguarded, and ignored otherwise.

    Is this a good state of affairs? Not at all.
    Could a better way to arrange international affairs be found? Well, there was the UN and its processes, cumbersome though they were, but someone decided it was a hindrance; and, again, it was not Russia.


    IPB


    PS
    I would like to reiterate my thanks to our gracious host, who allows people to freely express their opinions even when they are not sympathetic to his country.


    Another PS

    For those who talk about legality, can I have some information on the international legal basis for applying unilateral sanctions (never mind confiscation of private property for people holding a certain passport)?
    Hi IPB.

    Deciding the UN and its processes was a hindrance? In 2008, it was Putin. In 2014, it was Putin. Today, it is Putin. Does anyone else recognize a trend with a certain tyrannical head of state?

    Primary sanctions are pretty straightforward, but the extra-territorial sanctions seem to be a bit more complex. A third state basically has to decide who's sandbox they would rather play in, the sanctioning state or the sanctioned. I don't know what, if any, international legal basis could be involved, as it is the entities within the sanctioning state that must comply with who they do and do not conduct business with.

  6. #20516
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Frankly, you shouldn't be. If medicine were a house, then it has structural issues with the foundation and rot in the frame. It's a house that can't be torn down on our heads, though. It needs to be saved and repaired. Some deconstruction may be necessary, but it should be planned. Nuance. Knowledge. Hard work.


    Neo-Marxists are just going to huck a few Molotovs through the windows and gloat about it. While your grandmother's cancer progresses and your wife dies of hemorrhage from childbirth.
    I'm not sure I'd call this thread and what it covers a structural issue and rot. If a system produces health authoritarianism like we've seen, than it needs to be torn down. You can't plan for a system that caters for things you don't know exist. We're not that far from drilling holes in skulls to cure headaches.
    The issue is two fold. 1) People don't care about their health, the idea of doing something today to invest in your health tomorrow is a rarity amongst the general public. And the medical literacy required for this doesn't really exist.
    2) The 'literature" as a whole is a mess, and largely useless and produced for the sake of a paycheck.

    I disagree vehemently that neo marxists are going to huck a few molotovs and call it a day. They are actively working to create a global communistic system of government. Part of this is everyone has the same health outcomes everywhere, at all times. If you work in healthcare and patients have different outcomes, that is proof of your racism. That is not hyperbole, that is how they see the world and that is their goal.

  7. #20517
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    3,362

  8. #20518
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    54,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Hi IPB.

    Deciding the UN and its processes was a hindrance? In 2008, it was Putin. In 2014, it was Putin. Today, it is Putin. Does anyone else recognize a trend with a certain tyrannical head of state?
    Putin black/Everybody Else white. Correct? What about these psychopaths: Democrats Mull $100 a Month 'Biden Bucks' Stimulus Checks – PJ Media

    ____________________________________

    How will this be interpreted? What does it accomplish? NATO to agree to "major increases" of forces to support Ukraine

  9. #20519
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How will this be interpreted? What does it accomplish? NATO to agree to "major increases" of forces to support Ukraine
    If Ukraine falls, Poland and Lithuania (NATO countries) are next. It sends a message that NATO isn't fucking anymore.

    The West was worried not to upset Putin for 20 years, but the guy only understands sheer force.

  10. #20520
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    54,169

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by andrii View Post
    If Ukraine falls, Poland and Lithuania (NATO countries) are next. It sends a message that NATO isn't fucking anymore.
    If NATO members Poland and Lithuania are attacked, the western NATO nuclear powers are legally bound to intervene. That obviously doesn't mean that they will, but Russia loses that one if they do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •