starting strength gym
Page 208 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1081581982062072082092102182583087081208 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The following quotes (source IMDB) by mega corporation owner William Edgars in Babylon 5 (a massively underrated 90s sci fi tv show) say it all I think. They were saying this in the 90s!

“ You’re still laboring under the notion that people take power. Nobody takes power. They're given power, by the rest of us, because we are stupid or afraid, or both. The Germans in 1933, the Russians in 1917... they handed over power to people they thought could settle scores, "get the trains running on time," restore their prestige.”

”How many people actually belonged to the Nazi party? The Communist party? The Jihad party? A very small number. But there were always plenty of other people who were happy to do the work for them, and others afraid enough to let it happen.“

“ Megacorporations have been running things for years. We just don't show ourselves much. People wouldn't understand. So we let them think they still have a voice”

“You're thinking in old terms, in force of arms. But times have changed. We're talking a war of information, a war of secrets, a war of intimidation.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Here's the real problem....Americans are stupid:

AP-NORC poll: Few Americans support easing virus protections
    sb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We're fucked.
    There are plenty of people content with the way things are now. Which definitely means we are fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I just want to chime in here with my repetitive caveat that the IFR of COVID, which we will at some point figure out, should not be compared directly to the CFR of seasonal flu (which is generally estimated around 0.1%).

If anyone can find an IFR of the regular old seasonal influenza (in a population study where they tested asymptomatic people who never thought they had the flu), please post the citation here. It will be very helpful.

Because if the CFR of flu is 0.1% it is extremely likely that the IFR is significantly lower. How many people do you know who get a flu test without any symptoms?

So when I see on the news that COVID IFR is .5%, therefore it is 5x as deadly as flu, I cringe, because many of us expect the IFR to fall to 1% or a little below. And I anticipate people carrying on with "SEE? It IS just like a regular flu" when they see COVID IFR=flu CFR. In my opinion, unencumbered by actual data, the IFR for the regular old flu may actually be 0.01%.
    I cringe too, for the same reason. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your earlier appeal for estimates of seasonal flu IFR. I was too lazy.

Lazygun provided an estimate of an IFR of 0.07 over here. It was derived by multiplying the CFR by the estimated proportion of people who show symptoms when infected. An estimate, to be sure, but an intelligent one at least:

Quote Originally Posted by lazygun37 View Post
    The 0.1% fatality rate that keeps getting thrown around is a rough estimate of the typical CASE fatality ratio for the flu. According to the CDC, roughly 50% of people infected with flu with not display classical symptoms. Applying this to the actual CDC estimates of number of deaths and symptomatic cases over the last 7 years for which there is complete data gives a typical IFR of 0.07% And these are actually pretty HIGH numbers, because in recent years the prevalent flu strain has been H3N2. The estimated IFR for the 2009 flu pandemic -- which was H1N1 -- was far lower yet, somewhere around or below 0.01%.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    ACE2 receptors are highly expressed in the testes, and male sex hormones are implicated in the severity of the disease. Concerned individuals might consider castration, out of an abundance of caution.
    It would seem that many have already taken such precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Here's the real problem....Americans are stupid:

AP-NORC poll: Few Americans support easing virus protections

At least according to the poll.
    Considering how polls are manipulatively constructed and used drive public opinion, interpret with caution. You know, like you should do with anything from The Media.

What do you hear people say? What do you see people do? How do these things vary with context/dependent on who is observing and monitoring?

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    I cringe too, for the same reason. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your earlier appeal for estimates of seasonal flu IFR. I was too lazy.

Lazygun provided an estimate of an IFR of 0.07 over here. It was derived by multiplying the CFR by the estimated proportion of people who show symptoms when infected. An estimate, to be sure, but an intelligent one at least:
    Is this math based on the assumption that for every confirmed case of the flu there is an unconfirmed, asymptotic person in the population? What happens to the IFR of covid19 when you apply that logic?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Considering how polls are manipulatively constructed and used drive public opinion, interpret with caution. You know, like you should do with anything from The Media.

What do you hear people say? What do you see people do? How do these things vary with context/dependent on who is observing and monitoring?
    Oh, I 100% agree with you and the posters who have lost all faith in polls. I have been misquoted and/or on the other side of the article in the paper to know the shortcomings of these people.

However, the policy makers may use this sort of "information" as basis for further interfering in our lives. Manipulated by the AP on purpose, or not. Unless there is a LOT of contact with the these fools that make the policies, they will continue making a mess of this. For example, protesters are made fun of in the media and called fringe kooks.

Most of the people I talk to (there are only 1200 or so in the county) are either scared out of their minds (These are otherwise intelligent folks, who pay too much credence to their news feed) OR are Old School Cowboys and Coaches who think this is the dumbest thing they have ever seen. Which are more likely to talk to the pollers/representatives or take surveys?

Folks won't shake my hand (Except the Cowboys). Been interviewing candidates for positions in the fall, but only by Zoom. Some of them are afraid to travel.

In any case, I admit a fairly pessimistic view right now. Every time it looks like reason might prevail, something else I care about gets cancelled. For the safety of the _______ or to flatten the curve or whatever. We hear how we are all in this together, but we aren't. I am lucky to still have a job, for now. The reason I do this job has been taken from me.

Well, I am gonna' quit rambling. I apologize. I will add, we need to contact those who have made it abundantly clear that they are IN CHARGE, and express our displeasure. Contact them often.

sb

100% agree with you about The Media. I have been misquoted and/or on the other side of the article to know the shortcomings of these people.

People who have cell phones and news feeds are scared senseless. The Media and propaganda machine have done their job.

Thing is, the piss-poor polling like that DOES drive public opinion....and this helps make policy.

The only solution I can see is repeated contact with elected officials expressing our displeasure and refusing to obey.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post

Certainly, given the man's credentials, I would respect his opinion on law or medieval history. However, the current pandemic is not his field of study and anything stated is simply his non-expert opinion.
    1) What are your credentials?

2) What is your expertise?

3) In which State do you live?

4) Have you got your medal for being kind to your mum yet?

starting strength coach development program

I get the sense that exactly the same people who voted to remain within the EU, are those who are also supporting the lockdown. They are inevitably the ones who stand in their gardens on a Thursday night and act like clapping seals. They are likely to be exactly the same petty authoritarians that snitch on their neighbours and demand ever more state interventionism. The media is full of them as are all our major institutions who are influencers. I was shocked to hear how the 'scientific ' community are no acting as lobbyists who must "get our message heard" by government ministers. These are also the same people-the experts-who told us we shouldn't leave the EU or Armageddon would be the result; the same who keep telling us the world is heating up and we will all die.

It appears to me that there is a large group- almost 50% of the population that wants to control other people in order that they feel secure in their lives and will use any excuse to point out "I told you so". It's pretty easy to ensure its those people who get to poll.