COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 2174

starting strength gym
Page 2174 of 2231 FirstFirst ... 117416742074212421642172217321742175217621842224 ... LastLast
Results 21,731 to 21,740 of 22307

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #21731
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2022
    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    I sent this video to two of my daughters, one with a 9 month old baby, and the other due any time now. There was a link to making homemade baby formula to be used if the mom has any issues with nursing.

    The link was blocked stating it violated "community guidelines."

    I thought this might be more than useful considering the current state of this administration thinking starving babies is just business as usual.

    Apparently, the algorithm disagrees with me.

    WTF?

    Introducing Food to Baby ? Transitioning Your Baby From Breast Milk to Food ? Dr.Berg - YouTube
    We did exclusively breastfed (my wife is an absolute champion) straight into baby-led weaning. No baby food or formula. The rule with baby-led weenie is if they red and choking they're okay. If they're blue and choking finger sweep and do the baby heimlich.

    Kids turned out super healthy and grew like weeds.

  2. #21732
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I donít see how I am proving your point. The Russians donít apologize for Stalin because they donít really think he did anything wrong. You seem to be projecting a lot onto the Russians, these things you talk about simply donít exist there.
    You're right, Jovan; there IS nothing to apologize for. I hang out with very non-metroploitan crowds so they definitely DO exist here in flyover country, and yet you're probably right that they shade my thinking about Russians in general, but regardless the fatal flaw in my logic was trying to defend whether Putin['s government] is neutral or gung-ho on Stalinism.

    You can have that one: Russians are authoritarian assholes who still don't even try to make amends for the horrors they commited under Stalin and the others.

    The way you prove my point is that there are myriad groups that "lost" in the past and now want restitution from the winners, just as you demonstrated by going after Stalin, and I think Russia is smart and stands alone in unequivocally not apologizing for its past (though I ask again for examples, because maybe France and Spain similarly do not apologize for their colonial misadventures in Africa and South America).

    Why is it smart? It's tough to build patriotism amongst your people when you're constantly apologizing for what were in fact survival of the fittest or competitive advantage victories.

    Supporting your dirty past of course doesn't magically make all your citizens hold hands and sing kumbuyah, so, yeah, probably Putin not apologizing simply serves to silence those who would otherwise apologize for the "icky" parts of Russia's past.

    And my point is, so what? America's constant apologizing over the past thirty years has NOT lead to greater social cohesion: the aggrieved are never satisfied and those who are blamed start to masochistically hate themselves.

    So this gov't stance of NOT apologizing for your icky past is DEFINITELY the way to strengthen societies: that "dirty" history is part of what shaped your culture into what it is today, anyway, so to apologize for it would be to apologize for your very culture, which CANNOT lead to healthier, stronger societies.

    Seriously, this blaming, complaining, and apologizing crap of the West needs to go. We even do it with all our "green" crap, talking about how "eco-guilty" you should feel. But anyways, if the police officers and politicians kneeling to BLM wasn't enough to convince you that Russia apologizing for Stalin will NEVER satisfy the aggreived or make your younger generations stronger and more patriotic, I don't know what else to tell you.

  3. #21733
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    How does your point differ from, say, this this SciAm article?
    My point was that just because they don't provide protection against infection with the currently circulating variants does not mean that they are not vaccines or that they are not useful. That article was trying to convince people that 90% protection against infection was good enough to have a major impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Just picking on this as an example. Do you agree with the idea or not? Or are you intentionally leaving an ensemble of possible answers so that you canít be accountable for defending anything specific?
    Barry, please clarify which idea you want to know about.

  4. #21734
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I do not believe the data because the people providing the data are liars. This has been demonstrated so many times that we question your motives in sticking to your narrative.
    You don't trust the people manufacturing the data because not only can you identify their lies but you also understand the perverted conflicts of interest and shady funding they operate under. Head down the rabbit hole of the funding behind many of the studies creating "new" understandings of infectious disease and transmission, and you will find a convoluted, incestuous, interconnected web of direct and indirect funding, replete with lots of shady inter-organization donations. It all looks like a money-laundering scheme that would make any drug cartel jealous.

    Too much of the research producing "new science" in response to Covid isn't being funded to answer fundamental questions, it is being funded to create/support narratives.

  5. #21735
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    48,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    And my point is, so what? America's constant apologizing over the past thirty years has NOT lead to greater social cohesion: the aggrieved are never satisfied and those who are blamed start to masochistically hate themselves.

    So this gov't stance of NOT apologizing for your icky past is DEFINITELY the way to strengthen societies: that "dirty" history is part of what shaped your culture into what it is today, anyway, so to apologize for it would be to apologize for your very culture, which CANNOT lead to healthier, stronger societies.

    Seriously, this blaming, complaining, and apologizing crap of the West needs to go. We even do it with all our "green" crap, talking about how "eco-guilty" you should feel. But anyways, if the police officers and politicians kneeling to BLM wasn't enough to convince you that Russia apologizing for Stalin will NEVER satisfy the aggreived or make your younger generations stronger and more patriotic, I don't know what else to tell you.
    Anytime you apologize because someone coerces you to apologize -- not because you feel the personal need to do so, because you know you did something wrong, and you need to make amends to the person you actually harmed -- you are fucking up, perhaps for the last time. Because your apology is not what they want. They want your soul, and when you kneel before them in abject supplication, you hand it to them, never to have it back. If you personally did nothing wrong, you cannot apologize. And you are not apologizing when you "apologize" -- you are surrendering. And then you are defeated, forever.

    Quote Originally Posted by newguyray View Post
    You don't trust the people manufacturing the data because not only can you identify their lies but you also understand the perverted conflicts of interest and shady funding they operate under. Head down the rabbit hole of the funding behind many of the studies creating "new" understandings of infectious disease and transmission, and you will find a convoluted, incestuous, interconnected web of direct and indirect funding, replete with lots of shady inter-organization donations. It all looks like a money-laundering scheme that would make any drug cartel jealous.

    Too much of the research producing "new science" in response to Covid isn't being funded to answer fundamental questions, it is being funded to create/support narratives.
    Please try to explain this to Professor Grantham.

  6. #21736
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post

    Barry, please clarify which idea you want to know about.

    ď I get it that you (Rip) don't think that people are capable of making the right decision when money is on the line. I can't say that you should not have that opinion because that has apparently been your experience. However, that's not been my (Grantham) experience. ď

    Thatís what I want to know about.

  7. #21737
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    We did exclusively breastfed (my wife is an absolute champion) straight into baby-led weaning. No baby food or formula. The rule with baby-led weenie is if they red and choking they're okay. If they're blue and choking finger sweep and do the baby heimlich.

    Kids turned out super healthy and grew like weeds.
    Yes, it's unfortunate that so many mom's use formula, when their bodies literally produce the perfect baby food.

    This is a product of modern society where kids get placed into daycare while mom goes back to work, or they just don't want to try nursing anymore.

    My grandson was born a little early, at 6.5 pounds. By three months old, he was a happy healthy 18 pounds, and my daughter lost the 40 pounds she gained during pregnancy. She's got a bunch of friends that recently had babies, and she's the only one nursing.

  8. #21738
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    My point was that just because they don't provide protection against infection with the currently circulating variants does not mean that they are not vaccines or that they are not useful. That article was trying to convince people that 90% protection against infection was good enough to have a major impact.
    "Don't provide protection" versus "90% protection". Is it fair to say that your assessment of reality in May 2022 (or perhaps October 2021) is more pessimistic than the predictions of January 2021? Were the RBD mutations too challenging to predict?

  9. #21739
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Yes, it's unfortunate that so many mom's use formula, when their bodies literally produce the perfect baby food.

    This is a product of modern society where kids get placed into daycare while mom goes back to work, or they just don't want to try nursing anymore.

    My grandson was born a little early, at 6.5 pounds. By three months old, he was a happy healthy 18 pounds, and my daughter lost the 40 pounds she gained during pregnancy. She's got a bunch of friends that recently had babies, and she's the only one nursing.
    Listen, I loathe feminists as much as the next guy, but lots and lots of women are actually incapable for one reason or another of breastfeeding, be it an issue with their equipment or with the child. I'm glad you guys had such great success and my wife would be glad for you, too, because it is what she wanted to do. Life, however, had other plans for her and our kids. Ergo, formula.

  10. #21740
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    435

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    ď I get it that you (Rip) don't think that people are capable of making the right decision when money is on the line. I can't say that you should not have that opinion because that has apparently been your experience. However, that's not been my (Grantham) experience. ď

    Thatís what I want to know about.
    I've worked in science labs since I was an undergraduate student...20-plus years. I've worked on projects funded by NSF, CDC, IARPA, private donations, multiple NIH-funded projects , and I've consulted for a project funded by DARPA. None of these agencies interfered with the work we did in any way, and no one falsified data, buried data, or avoided experiments or controls to get the story to come out a particular way. No one fabricated data to obtain the funding for these projects or to obtain follow-on funding.

    It has not been my experience that the people doing research or providing data are liars. Does that mean that it cannot be so?...obviously not. If someone here has some of their own personal experiences that contradict that, please feel free.

    Is that direct enough Barry?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •