starting strength gym
Page 2311 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 13111811221122612301230923102311231223132321236124112811 ... LastLast
Results 23,101 to 23,110 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

More from Jeffrey Tucker, though he is no longer with AIER.

A Deeper Dive Into the CDC Reversal ⋆ Brownstone Institute

Seems to me that that government is so full of sh*t you shouldn't be in the same room with them, let alone listen to them. Once a liar always a liar. Time to just turn our backs on them and go about our business as if they didn't exist. Time to publicly ridicule the sheeple.

Seen on a private social media forum:

The more I read about the IRS hiring 87,000 armed agents, the more it’s becoming clearer this has nothing to do with taxes..but instead a trojan horse for future forced gun confiscations.
    This # is bigger than combat military units.
    This seems like a plausible conspiracy. Send agents to audit and fish for red flag law recommendations.

And here is an interesting map: Where in The U.S. Are You Most Likely to Be Audited by the IRS?

The Atlantic article, “Why do rich people love quiet?,” left me dumbfounded. It’s hard to believe the changes in the world from when I was a student in a dorm at Columbia University in the late 60s. There were over 40 guys on our floor, almost all in single very small rooms. We shared bathrooms and showers at the end of the hall with the only phone on the floor. A lot of us were from New York with a bunch from large American cities and small towns and a few international students from Saudi Arabia, Mexico, and Greece. It was an unusual mixture, completely different than growing up in the suburbs. A lot of very intelligent people, but a few prep school guys who got in because their fathers (there were no females at Columbia College, the undergrad school) had donated enough money for their offspring to gain admittance. They seemed miserable for the most part. A few finished freshman year scoring heroin from Harlem. One almost died.

A guy in one of my classes from a small town in Ohio seemed pretty dumb and watched cartoons in the lounge where there was a TV. There was no TV reception on our floor. He was a football player of sorts. There were no athletic scholarships in the Ivy League, but that must have been the only reason he was in school. We called him Destructo because he tried to tear the doors off the toilet stalls after drunken binges Saturday nights following the games. That was on another floor. Maybe somebody complained. Columbia had a miserable team. I only went once. At halftime, the marching band performed a tribute to birth control and formed the shape of a penis covered by a condom.

A bunch of us blasted our stereos, never late at night. No one complained to me, nor did I hear of any. I befriended people I disagreed with politically. Overall, they were a wonderful group. Unfortunately, my best friend in this life, from our floor, and another one are dead. I’m in contact with others. We live across the world and may never meet again in person.

I’m 73 surf, skateboard, and do krav maga, sports I never heard of as a kid. That wouldn’t have happened without Rip, Dan John, and a few others. I got sick for a few years, and was sure I was done but thankfully made a comeback a few months ago.

I have been physically active my whole life and lettered on the high school tennis team. I have an MA in psychology, taught stress management and became a practitioner of the Feldenkrais Method. Here’s my one sentence definition: an educational process for improving overall functioning and movement. I worked with a similar population to physical therapists and helped a lot of people out of all kinds of neuromuscular issues including back pain but couldn’t help myself.

About twenty years ago, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about how a group of chronic back pain patients improved dramatically with strength training. In 2002, I saw a personal trainer in California for the Paul Chek method. He got into Crossfit without telling me. At the time, Crossfit was unknown with only a few gyms. He gave me incredibly stupid training. A lot of exercises done in circuits with no rest periods. One initial session lasted maybe three minutes. At the end, I hobbled around and was too afraid to sit down in my car. My legs were on fire and so sore that I thought I’d never get up again.

I was only visiting him and continued on my own. I worked up to probably 60 minutes of a few hundred body weight squats, over two hundred lunges per leg, 45 half bodyweight barbell Romanian deadlifts and squats, and anything else I could throw in done in a lot of sets with almost no rest. I’d get two days of delayed onset muscle soreness. The trainer said it was normal. What did I know? Rip, Dan John and a bunch of experts were into it. In the trainer’s defense, he answered at least 100 emails with all my questions. My back issues disappeared even with that kind of training.

At the point where there wasn’t any more muscle soreness from a 75 minute workout, the trainer who had taken a seminar from Rip, told me I was too well adapted and wasn’t working hard enough. So I got into scaled Crossfit workouts. I couldn’t do what the main site prescribed. Before I seriously fucked myself up with it, Mark wrote that we should do strength training, so I quit and did a version of Starting Strength. There was a hike in the mountains in California that I couldn’t complete with all that previous training. After Starting Strength, I had no problems.

This is for Mark who loves the band Chicago. I heard a lot of rock and roll concerts in the 60s and early 70s including Woodstock. In February 1969, the Fillmore in the lower East side of Manhattan, featured the Mothers of Invention fronted by Frank Zappa, the Buddy Miles Express (he had drummed for the great Wilson Pickett, Electric Flag, and Jimi Hendrix,) and an unknown group CTA, the Chicago Transit Authority who hadn’t released an album. Nobody had ever heard of them.

My best friend got us tickets but didn’t want to waste a few hours on the subway buying them in advance. We got there early but still waited in line over an hour. When we entered, the band later to be called Chicago, played for about forty seconds before finishing their set. I got their first album released in April of that year entitled Chicago Transit Authority. I thought it was great and still do.

I can’t complain, having heard Hendrix three times in concert, Woodstock, and an unbelievable free one in Central Park with Paul Butterfield, Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead who blew us all away. I wasn’t on drugs and had never taken them. There’s more music from that era out now than I could ever believe, but for me nothing compares to having experienced it live.

As far as Covid, I got three vaccinations. If I could do it again, I wouldn’t, but nobody’s perfect. There’s now a fourth and will be a lot more, which I don’t expect to take. I’ll live with the consequences. I expected to die before the age of 35, so I’ve long outlived my expectations.

Mark, I hope you have a long healthy life. You made an enormous contribution to the world of strength and conditioning and continue to do so. You answered so many of our questions and in the early years of this forum insightfully analyzed videos including one from my eleven year old son. All for free. Thanks for everything. The rest of you appreciate it while you can. Live long enough, and your body breaks down. Everything is taken from you: friends, spouses and significant others (if you don’t die first,) and your life. Nothing lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you managed to read this stilted drivel, this shit is all because we don't have access to the subway.
    Who doesn't love being packed in a tin can with a bunch of strangers?

Article: Back Off, Oh Masters of the Universe - YouTube

What do you guys think about this?
    I think Dr.Peterson is improving his understanding of economics (he recently did an interview with a Bitcoin expert) and his message goes straight to the point.
    Note: Peterson does not cry in this video.

For reference
    Working Towards Net-Zero Carbon Emissions By 2030 | Deloitte UK

Funny how within 2 years their goal went from 2030 to 2050, they know it's bullshit.
    Keeping the increment of the Earth's temperature below 1.5°C? Sounds like keeping inflation below 2%. Again, bullshit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Seen on a private social media forum:

This seems like a plausible conspiracy. Send agents to audit and fish for red flag law recommendations.

And here is an interesting map: Where in The U.S. Are You Most Likely to Be Audited by the IRS?
    Fascinating map. I wonder if this changes with the 87,000 new troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Zaks View Post
    Mark, I hope you have a long healthy life. You made an enormous contribution to the world of strength and conditioning and continue to do so. You answered so many of our questions and in the early years of this forum insightfully analyzed videos including one from my eleven year old son. All for free. Thanks for everything. The rest of you appreciate it while you can. Live long enough, and your body breaks down. Everything is taken from you: friends, spouses and significant others (if you don’t die first,) and your life. Nothing lasts forever.
    Thanks Larry.