starting strength gym
Page 233 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1331832232312322332342352432833337331233 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I guess at this point it's hardly a startling revelation, but the skunk in Illinois' wood pile got outed:

Flatten the curve! Flatten the CURVE!! FLATTEN THE CURVE!!!!

Baaaaa!
    Openly admitting they are padding the numbers, and so non-nonchalant about it.

Do we really trust these folks to handle an actual crisis? << Rhetorical question at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You guys are talking about people on drugs as if it were a bad thing. Get 10 million Americans on dope, the world will be a much safer place.
    10 million Americans are already on dope.

Woodside, CA (aka The San Francisco Bay Area or as I like to call it, the belly of the beast)

Warms my soul to see guys like Elliot Rabin in New York City:
    The owner of Peter Elliot boutique, he's 100% right, if a liquor store is essential business then clothing is at least as essential!
    You’d look pretty stupid lying in a pool of your own vomit, in the gutter, naked.

NYC tailor re-opens shop: 'Why is a liquor store essential and I'm not?'

I know that quite a few of you will discount this information based on the source, however the numbers were interesting to me. Seems that Sweden's response to the virus has been less effective (in preventing deaths attributed to Covid-19) than the responses of its Nordic neighbors. I'm glad that information like population density as well as the specific measures put in place were included. It makes things easier to discuss.

Sweden says its coronavirus approach has worked. The numbers suggest a different story - CNN

"The death rate in Sweden has now risen significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, reaching more than 22 per 100,000 people, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University, controlled for population.
    By contrast, Denmark has recorded just over seven deaths per 100,000 people, and both Norway and Finland less than four.

Sweden has registered 18,926 coronavirus cases and 2,274 deaths among its population of 10.3 million people. Denmark has had 9,049 cases and 427 deaths in a population of 5.8 million, Norway 7,599 cases and 206 deaths among its 5.4 million people, and Finland 4,695 cases and 193 deaths in its population of 5.5 million."

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    10 million Americans are already on dope.
    And this is not the time to get them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I know that quite a few of you will discount this information based on the source, however the numbers were interesting to me. Seems that Sweden's response to the virus has been less effective (in preventing deaths attributed to Covid-19) than the responses of its Nordic neighbors. I'm glad that information like population density as well as the specific measures put in place were included. It makes things easier to discuss.

Sweden says its coronavirus approach has worked. The numbers suggest a different story - CNN

"The death rate in Sweden has now risen significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, reaching more than 22 per 100,000 people, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University, controlled for population.
    By contrast, Denmark has recorded just over seven deaths per 100,000 people, and both Norway and Finland less than four.

Sweden has registered 18,926 coronavirus cases and 2,274 deaths among its population of 10.3 million people. Denmark has had 9,049 cases and 427 deaths in a population of 5.8 million, Norway 7,599 cases and 206 deaths among its 5.4 million people, and Finland 4,695 cases and 193 deaths in its population of 5.5 million."
    Except the lockdown was never about preventing deaths. When it first rolled out here in Ohio, the justification was reducing the acute load on the healthcare system so that it could handle cases in the months to come.

Absent an effective vaccine, the same amount of people will die no matter what. Unless a person has the means to keep himself cocooned indefinitely, he will eventually come into contact with the virus, lockdown or no lockdown.

I'd be curious to see what Sweden's hospitals have looked like throughout the pandemic. Thay would be a better indicator of whether the "flatten the curve" strategy had its intended effect.

The idea that the stay-at-home orders were supposed to prevent total deaths is rewritten history.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsquared1969 View Post
    Warms my soul to see guys like Elliot Rabin in New York City:
    The owner of Peter Elliot boutique, he's 100% right, if a liquor store is essential business then clothing is at least as essential!
    You’d look pretty stupid lying in a pool of your own vomit, in the gutter, naked.

NYC tailor re-opens shop: 'Why is a liquor store essential and I'm not?'
    I really wonder if what finally kills the lockdown for good will be a rolling wave of civil disobedience.

Rip,
    Is this the longest thread in Starting Strength history? Just saw where it surpassed “The Movies” thread. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    This is just MY interpretation, but the lady doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic about relaying that info. But I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaWhicker View Post
    Openly admitting they are padding the numbers, and so non-nonchalant about it.

Do we really trust these folks to handle an actual crisis? << Rhetorical question at this point.
    Ngozi O. Ezike heads up the Illinois Department of Health. I agree, her facial demeanor does suggest she was not happy about having to answer the question in the manner she did. But much of the impression you both may be getting from her is her slight non-standard black accent and her style of speaking. She always sounds like that and it can have a relaxing soporific effect on you.

I have heard her interviewed on the local newsradio station WJPF and she came across as a sincere, caring person albeit sadly misguided in the approach she has become the public face of in this state. Her background is/was in pediatrics, according to her homepage. Given her race (did I actually say that?) and her residence in the Chicago area, she is almost certainly a dem party faithful appointed by Pritzker to placate elements of the dem machine in Crook County.

starting strength coach development program
    Seems that Sweden's response to the virus has been less effective (in preventing deaths attributed to Covid-19) than the responses of its Nordic neighbors.
    If SARS-CoV-2 infection is endemic and seasonal then it makes little difference in this little snippet of time that is Q2-2020 who’s numbers were lower in the short term because in the end they will all be the same.

What will matter in the short term is who will not be paying their mortgages over the next several months...