COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 2475

starting strength gym
Page 2475 of 2549 FirstFirst ... 147519752375242524652473247424752476247724852525 ... LastLast
Results 24,741 to 24,750 of 25487

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #24741
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    557

    Default

    • starting strength seminar february 2023
    • starting strength seminar april 2023
    • starting strength seminar june 2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Identifying the problem is the first step
    That takes about 5 minutes. Everyone agrees that corporate funding corrupts research. But what’s the solution?

    If he doesn’t try to solve the problem, he’s just bitching.

    Re the amount of legitimate innovation, is this a higher % of research then other ages? Or is it merely a result of more junk science being done overall? Because yes more is objectively better, but itÂ’s not an improvement in efficiency.
    We have computers and the Internet, man. Even major methodological problems (which are largely inherited) can’t stymie the amazing progress being made in lots of fields. I understand “dark age” is much catchier than “the best ever, with massive room for improvement.”

    “Rip is someone who successfully figured out how to reconfigure the division of labor in his industry, advocating for vertical rather than horizontal integration.”
    I disagree somewhat, Rip is successful because Starting Strength works. ThereÂ’s no shortage of fitness talking heads that will tell you why blue shoes are better then red. The vertical integration applies to the knowledge behind why things are done as they are, all the way down to the first principles. No-one else has done this, and those that have come close have to be wrong for the sake of differentiation.
    I’ve probably misunderstood your post but I don’t see what Rip and SS has to do with the division of labour in the fitness industry. A SS coach stands there and watches you, while a personal trainer at a globo gym does the same. The labour is the same, but the output is not.
    Is Rip concerned with aesthetics or conditioning as entertainment (i.e. most of the fitness industry)? How many exercises will Rip teach you? Many people could rightfully consider Rip “overspecialized.”

    One of Patterson’s key criticisms is that modern people are blinded by overspecialization. My point is, this topic is tricky and domain-specific. Patterson’s ambitious targeting of physics and logic and medicine, all at once, is not helpful.

  2. #24742
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,542

    Default

    I like this piece by Kunstler: Some Lights Go Out, Some Lights Go On - Kunstler

    The macro trend is quite clear, as laid out in The Long Emergency: what’s coming is the opposite of global government; rather, national governments become increasingly impotent and illegitimate, and smaller regions by necessity must retreat into autarky to keep anything going. For us that means Washington DC sinks into irrelevance while the states, or perhaps mere parts of the states, have to take charge of their own affairs.
    The whole thing is good, but remember what I said a while back about Federalism? He's come to the same conclusion.

    Secede, Texas. Hurry.

  3. #24743
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I like this piece by Kunstler: Some Lights Go Out, Some Lights Go On - Kunstler



    The whole thing is good, but remember what I said a while back about Federalism? He's come to the same conclusion.

    Secede, Texas. Hurry.
    This portends a romantic future.

    Camelot might've indeed existed as a small kingdom hidden in primeval forest. (Cribbing Lewis again - he knew his Classics.)

  4. #24744
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    It does appear that Desantis is the lefts fig leaf to us. And it appears that the deal that they are offering is that you can have someone competent but contained vs the impasse and chaos that will be created due to Trump's popularism. The cost benefit analysis depends on the risk you want to take. High risk can also reap high reward.
    Ron DeSantis Says He Plans to Hold Pfizer and Moderna Accountable For Making False Claims About Their Shots › American Greatness

    Analysis suggests Covid-19 boosters likely to cause a net clinical harm to young adults(18-29 yr), where total severe adverse events (SAEs) will outweigh Covid hospitalizations averted.
    Thread by @KevinBardosh on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

    Unvaccinated blood donation service spreads to 16 countries | America's Frontline News

    Meta-study finds COVID shots hundreds of times more deadly than regular vaccinations | America's Frontline News

    ORGANIZED FAMINE: Germany Orders Farmers to Slash Fertilizer After Dutch Government Shuts Down 3,000 Farms to Comply with Global Warming Goals
    Last edited by Gilead; 12-06-2022 at 12:20 PM.

  5. #24745
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    That takes about 5 minutes. Everyone agrees that corporate funding corrupts research. But what’s the solution?

    If he doesn’t try to solve the problem, he’s just bitching.

    We have computers and the Internet, man. Even major methodological problems (which are largely inherited) can’t stymie the amazing progress being made in lots of fields. I understand “dark age” is much catchier than “the best ever, with massive room for improvement.”
    Great progress underway in areas that are not yet of interest to those who corrupt, yes. But, we've learned that all scientists can be easily controlled...or fired and replaced.

    And, Yes, it takes 5 minutes for you to grasp that corp money corrupts science. But, there's only one way to get this into the skulls of a society (including many "scientists") that does not value integrity, "progress" (our definition), or "truth": Damage...horrific damage.

    There's no other way. There had to be Damage that people care about: their loved ones....their children...themselves. The lab-created / media-created "pandemic", fear, response and disastrous "vaccines" fit the bill nicely. This was EASY to figure out, but VERY FEW doctors and scientists stood up for truth because of societal pressure.

    And what follows awareness of that Damage? What is the solution? THERE MUST BE HUMILIATION of the those responsible / complicit

    From the essay:
    From what I can tell, most people are stuck in a developmental stage prior to critical thinking, where social and psychological factors are the ultimate reason for their ideas. Gaining popularity and social acceptance are usually higher goals than figuring out the truth, especially if the truth is unpopular. Therefore, the real causes for error are often socio-psychological, not intellectual—an absence of reasoning rather than a mistake of reasoning. Before reaching the stage of true critical thinking, most people’s thought processes are stunted by issues like insecurity, jealousy, fear, arrogance, groupthink, and cowardice. It takes a large, never-ending commitment to self-development to combat these flaws.
    We have two dials to manipulate modern society: "social and psychological". The answer is a modern day version of this: Pillory in Town Square

    The lawyers, government officials, corporate executives, industry thought leaders, Mainstream Media, military Generals, NGO executives, hospital executives...all of them...must suffer absolute and catastrophic public humiliation.

    The solution is Trials so dramatic that they replace Netflix for two solid months. Trials that shine the light first on the Damage and then on the PEOPLE (individuals) responsible...those who knowingly corrupted science and medicine. Put them on the stand and humiliate them. And, these must be military trials.

    The weapon in this Revolution is Information. To succeed, those who wish to save society (and science) from corruption must seize those weapons. In a righteous timeline, Musk's acquisition of Twitter would be part of that operation. Time will tell. He IS America's largest (by $$) defense contractor. If I were America's military General, I would use a defense contractor (Musk) as a proxy to seize the information weapons of the enemy on the down-low.

    And, what has Musk confirmed for us? There is a "central committee" who controls the flow of information: a hallmark of communism. Obviously, there's been a coup, and the counter-coup does not require violence at all.

    The solution is to seize those mechanisms of information control, and use them to Disclose the Damage...and humiliate the perpetrators.

    SHAME...horrific, ugly, head-hanging, never walk the streets again SHAME.

    I'm done guessing what will happen. But, this is what should happen.

  6. #24746
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    The simplest explanation I can give is that it is a divide in physics theory where one side (those that subscribe to the Copenhagen interpretation) think that the probabilities and uncertainty in quantum mechanics is the best we can do because that is how nature works. That the state of quantum thing is all possible states until observed. The other side thinks ultimately there is a more deterministic (cause and effect) theory that has yet to be discovered. The state is the state independent of observation.

    Both sides agree that experimental work, like two slit wave/particle demonstrations or quantum entanglement are real and very accurately predicted. They just disagree on foundational theory.

    Also, the Copenhagen Interpretation is not just one thing, there are many variants and very healthy debate.
    This is another problem with Patterson's article. He claims the problems we observe stem from abstract "foundational crises":

    The world of ideas is hierarchical; some ideas are categorically more important than others. The industry of ideas is also hierarchical; some intellectuals are categorically more important than others. In our contemporary paradigm, mathematics and physics are considered the most important domains, and mathematicians and physicists are considered the most intelligent thinkers. Therefore, when these disciplines underwent foundational crises, it had a devastating effect upon the entire world of ideas. The foundational notion of a knowable reality came into serious doubt.
    To the uninitiated, this makes sense, because if there's a problem in the "foundations" then everything above it is invalidated -- right? While this is formally true, it is not actually the case in practice: most practical ideas survive unaffected, in the same way software can be ported to run on a different processor. This is just a rhetorical trick to make philosophical ideas seem more practically important than they actually are.

    He seems to be talking about a relativist vibe seeping into other fields. But if he focused more on the 2020s than the 1920s, then he'd be familiar with recent work on the formalization of mathematics upon homotopy type theory. The vibe there is exquisite rigor, where proofs are completely checked (and even generated) by computers. Not what I'd call a "dark age."

  7. #24747
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    50,542

  8. #24748
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    This is another problem with Patterson's article. He claims the problems we observe stem from abstract "foundational crises":



    To the uninitiated, this makes sense, because if there's a problem in the "foundations" then everything above it is invalidated -- right? While this is formally true, it is not actually the case in practice: most practical ideas survive unaffected, in the same way software can be ported to run on a different processor. This is just a rhetorical trick to make philosophical ideas seem more practically important than they actually are.

    He seems to be talking about a relativist vibe seeping into other fields. But if he focused more on the 2020s than the 1920s, then he'd be familiar with recent work on the formalization of mathematics upon homotopy type theory. The vibe there is exquisite rigor, where proofs are completely checked (and even generated) by computers. Not what I'd call a "dark age."
    I had to read through this a few times as this is important. Very well said. Respect!

  9. #24749
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It appears that the Europeans have bigger problems than we do.
    I wonder if they're going to make them wear masks in the government food lines.

  10. #24750
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    If we are in a climate emergency... It's not in lives lost due to natural disasters or an increase in geophysical, hydrological, meteorological,or climatological disasters. So where specifically is the emergency? It's in the failed predictions.
    Thread by @MatthewWielicki on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

    Can Bitcoin Bridge the Political Divide? With Ted Cruz - YouTube

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •