starting strength gym
Page 2776 of 2981 FirstFirst ... 1776227626762726276627742775277627772778278628262876 ... LastLast
Results 27,751 to 27,760 of 29806

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #27751
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    • starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Realizing that the President is a temporary employee that will never be granted significant power and concentrating on placing key people in positions of actual power?

    I think what we really need to ask ourselves is how, exactly, the things we want get done. Take the gender bullshit in schools. President can't do jack about what your local school district deems to be part of the curriculum. Not really. National goals and priorities can be set but that power really lies with local boards and the admin who carry out their orders. Who's your local superintendent? Potentially fixable. Take inflation. Think of the many who are making money off the whole inflation engine - for lack of a better term. Energy, bank and mortgage lenders.... that's a lot of people who will want to prevent their loss of profit. Lot of powerful people. We'd need multiple industries and leaders working together, a president alone couldn't do it. He'd never get it past Congress. Maybe not so fixable.
    The COVID lockdown originated at local levels. Unlike schools shutting for a day or two for weather, schools shutting indefinitely was a major disruptive event and it came from local authorities, not royalty. The districts had to be supported by the counties and states. The feds just flapped and farted and the unions are still laughing.

    All of this is to say I agree with you and I am certainly not blaming local schools, just providing a recent extraordinary example of how these things can “just” happen from the bottom up.

  2. #27752
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't know where else to put this, but it's very important. Hope you appreciate it.

    https://twitter.com/Gr8fulSusan/stat...15134802063361
    Thank you for sharing this Coach. Must have gotten something in my eye while reading it though...

  3. #27753
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't know where else to put this, but it's very important. Hope you appreciate it.

    https://twitter.com/Gr8fulSusan/stat...15134802063361
    At least a year back, Zack the Jew wrote in to the podcast with a question/observation about the paradox of individualism leading to more collectivism than "collectivism". It was his last question, and you guys left it alone, saying you had no idea what he was talking about. I thought it was a very good observation, but maybe he didn't word it effectively, or you just didn't have time for it. This story reminded me of that.

    It would be very unlikely for that woman to be left alone to die if people still acted collectively, not because the government steps in, but because people would. I think the point ZtJ was trying to make was that when people turtle into their own individual existences and move around this very large country at the whim of economic forces, it completely destroys any collective. The government doesn't actually become the collective, but a synthetic replacement. Home is nothing but an abstraction, and people move around like diaspora nomads, with no diaspora to support them. Those orderlies, who she has never seen in her life, are the individualist system's sterile replacements for neighbors, extended family, and friends. The environment she is sent off to die in is completely stripped of religion, beauty and history. It's just a sterile white box--a grave before the grave. Even Soviet brutalism somehow seemed less brutal.

    It is the pathological individualism of global capitalism that created this situation, not any true desire for a collective. Who acts more collectively, after all, the Amish or New York liberals? It's all just more inversion and word magick. Everything and everyone is meant to be a cog in the GDP machine, and since community and continuation of local history are inefficient to a corporate economy, they become disposable. The richness of human culture is strip-mined. Centralized bureaucracies and soulless institutions are merely substitutes for the collective in an individualist dystopia.

  4. #27754
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Realizing that the President is a temporary employee that will never be granted significant power and concentrating on placing key people in positions of actual power?

    I think what we really need to ask ourselves is how, exactly, the things we want get done. Take the gender bullshit in schools. President can't do jack about what your local school district deems to be part of the curriculum. Not really. National goals and priorities can be set but that power really lies with local boards and the admin who carry out their orders. Who's your local superintendent? Potentially fixable. Take inflation. Think of the many who are making money off the whole inflation engine - for lack of a better term. Energy, bank and mortgage lenders.... that's a lot of people who will want to prevent their loss of profit. Lot of powerful people. We'd need multiple industries and leaders working together, a president alone couldn't do it. He'd never get it past Congress. Maybe not so fixable.
    Trump is one of the most powerful politicians to actually seem interested in doing something about regulatory capture. That is a huge issue with many downstream issues flowing from it. He also had the executive order lined up to allow him to start firing bureaucrats who up to that point had gotten really comfy. Some speculate it was what really drove the machine to unite to get rid of him. If we could get him back and he pens that order back in right at the start, things could get very interesting.

  5. #27755
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    At least a year back, Zack the Jew wrote in to the podcast with a question/observation about the paradox of individualism leading to more collectivism than "collectivism". It was his last question, and you guys left it alone, saying you had no idea what he was talking about. I thought it was a very good observation, but maybe he didn't word it effectively, or you just didn't have time for it. This story reminded me of that.

    It would be very unlikely for that woman to be left alone to die if people still acted collectively, not because the government steps in, but because people would. I think the point ZtJ was trying to make was that when people turtle into their own individual existences and move around this very large country at the whim of economic forces, it completely destroys any collective. The government doesn't actually become the collective, but a synthetic replacement. Home is nothing but an abstraction, and people move around like diaspora nomads, with no diaspora to support them. Those orderlies, who she has never seen in her life, are the individualist system's sterile replacements for neighbors, extended family, and friends. The environment she is sent off to die in is completely stripped of religion, beauty and history. It's just a sterile white box--a grave before the grave. Even Soviet brutalism somehow seemed less brutal.

    It is the pathological individualism of global capitalism that created this situation, not any true desire for a collective. Who acts more collectively, after all, the Amish or New York liberals? It's all just more inversion and word magick. Everything and everyone is meant to be a cog in the GDP machine, and since community and continuation of local history are inefficient to a corporate economy, they become disposable. The richness of human culture is strip-mined. Centralized bureaucracies and soulless institutions are merely substitutes for the collective in an individualist dystopia.
    I prefer the word "community" over your use of the word "collective," but I see your point.

    And Zach Millunchick is over on the Network Forum. You guys should sign up.

    ____________________________________________

    This is disturbingly obvious, and doesn't happen nearly enough: https://twitter.com/CensoredMen/stat...51507287785472

    And it can't happen, if the man is not there to do it.

  6. #27756
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Trump is one of the most powerful politicians to actually seem interested in doing something about regulatory capture. That is a huge issue with many downstream issues flowing from it. He also had the executive order lined up to allow him to start firing bureaucrats who up to that point had gotten really comfy. Some speculate it was what really drove the machine to unite to get rid of him. If we could get him back and he pens that order back in right at the start, things could get very interesting.
    I think the Twitter link Gilead posted a few pages is pretty definitive - it shows that worldwide Covid cases peaked after Biden’s inauguration. It appears Trump was a danger not only to the American bureaucracy, but to the global one.

  7. #27757
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    At least a year back, Zack the Jew wrote in to the podcast with a question/observation about the paradox of individualism leading to more collectivism than "collectivism". It was his last question, and you guys left it alone, saying you had no idea what he was talking about. I thought it was a very good observation, but maybe he didn't word it effectively, or you just didn't have time for it. This story reminded me of that.

    It would be very unlikely for that woman to be left alone to die if people still acted collectively, not because the government steps in, but because people would. I think the point ZtJ was trying to make was that when people turtle into their own individual existences and move around this very large country at the whim of economic forces, it completely destroys any collective. The government doesn't actually become the collective, but a synthetic replacement. Home is nothing but an abstraction, and people move around like diaspora nomads, with no diaspora to support them. Those orderlies, who she has never seen in her life, are the individualist system's sterile replacements for neighbors, extended family, and friends. The environment she is sent off to die in is completely stripped of religion, beauty and history. It's just a sterile white box--a grave before the grave. Even Soviet brutalism somehow seemed less brutal.

    It is the pathological individualism of global capitalism that created this situation, not any true desire for a collective. Who acts more collectively, after all, the Amish or New York liberals? It's all just more inversion and word magick. Everything and everyone is meant to be a cog in the GDP machine, and since community and continuation of local history are inefficient to a corporate economy, they become disposable. The richness of human culture is strip-mined. Centralized bureaucracies and soulless institutions are merely substitutes for the collective in an individualist dystopia.
    I don't know if "community" should really be considered the same as a "collective". A community feels a lot more mutually agreed upon by its constituent individuals, whereas a collective is enforced in a top-down manner. Funny enough, communities are not entirely gone. Even New York City has communities within it. They tend to form in ethnic divisions. The problem is the caucasian majority does really get to benefit from any in a place like NYC. But leave the aura of shittiness that city gives off and you will find communities that even include caucasians and aren't hard-divided on racial lines.

    My Aunt lives in upstate New York, and the community there is amazing. The way she is able to go around and have friendly talks with everyone is hard to believe even witnessing it. You'd think she was rich, or powerful, or famous, but she's just a person and everyone up there knows everyone else. When a local kid got diagnosed with a brain tumor and the family couldn't pay to deal with it, the community banded together to do all kinds of money-raising to get the kid treatment. It's all about the prevailing culture, I think. Culture is not something anyone's figured out how to engineer top-down, as much as they like to try, and where culture is good, it is very fragile. I worry places like that could easily be ruined by some idiotic intervention. For example, the more illegal immigrants they try to force into regions en masse, the more communities are destroyed. I have heard of instances where government worked to resettle NYC ex-cons into small towns and the culture there was trashed. Once culture in an area gets fucked I don't know how it can be fixed. I guess that's what totalitarian regimes that single out groups to kill off or ship to camps are trying to do in the end. But I think even making that shift and taking those actions leaves behind a fucked culture all its own.

    The best we can do right now is try to find the good places out there, and honestly try to assimilate into them. Once a part of the community, work like hell within it to keep it from going to shit.

  8. #27758
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And Zach Millunchick is over on the Network Forum. You guys should sign up.
    I've been signed up since the first week it launched, but never really spent any time of the forum. I should try to change that.

    --

    Vox Day on Trump's incessant whining:

    Back in the day, Gaius Julius Caesar was facing the prospect of being charged for fake crimes by his political enemies. He never had to face them because he crossed the Rubicon with a single legion.

    Actions have consequences. But a failure to act has consequences too. And those who don’t act when they have the chance shouldn’t whine about facing the inevitable consequences of their inaction.
    The problem was never what happened on January 6th, but what didn't.

    Related:

    The Unwitting Coup: Was the Response to COVID Effectively a Coup by the Western Intelligence Community?

    Thus, one overarching question always lingered over the response to COVID. How were officials able to implement such destructive, totalitarian policies across the western world without intelligence authorities stepping in to stop them?

    A detached review of the evidence leads to a chilling answer—though in hindsight, perhaps the only one that was ever really possible. Quite simply, the reason the western intelligence community never stepped in to stop this illiberalism is that virtually all the most illiberal aspects of the response to COVID lead directly back to the western intelligence community itself.
    It may sound silly, but the moment that sealed the deal for me was the choreographed dancing. When it was just the nurses, I wrote it off as them being bored with no one in the hospitals and everyone at home. Might as well put together some dance routines for tiktok, I guess. But then the exact same thing happened with national guard troops "responding" to the riots. They were literally doing choreographed routines with 10+ "soldiers" in a group. This had to be practiced. Any why in the hell were they even allowed to do this while "controlling" civil unrest? Because it was all a show, obviously. Clown World propaganda couldn't be anymore obvious.

  9. #27759
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Hypocracy? US State Dept condemns Putin for sending his political enemy to jail.

    Russia court sentences Alexey Navalny, jailed opposition leader and Putin critic, to 19 more years in prison - CBS News

  10. #27760
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,377

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    --------
    The Hug That Saved a Life
    Brielle & Kyrie

    https://twitter.com/lawrie_dr/status...tSncDxTEg&s=19

    And this is what the sick bastards put the elderly through
    https://twitter.com/Mabel__Syrup__/s...cuRNVHOPg&s=19

    ----------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •