starting strength gym
Page 2790 of 3023 FirstFirst ... 1790229026902740278027882789279027912792280028402890 ... LastLast
Results 27,891 to 27,900 of 30227

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I know guys that have used heroin twice. Two times. There is nothing automatic about addiction -- there are just a few people who enjoy tweaking their CNS. When this gets to be a habit, the drug gets blamed? Well, that's easier, I suppose. But the numbers across all drugs, from alcohol to heroin, are remarkably consistent: a small minority of people who use them become addicted, and a small minority of these people get clean.
    It's not the drug's fault, it's the lack of taboos. If you have no strong taboos against it, ubiquitous supply of extremely pleasurable but dangerous substances is definitely bound to fuck up the population. Things like this are what taboos are for. Depending on the iron wills of the masses is not how you maintain a civilization.

The Sackler fucks intentionally lied, advertising opiods as non-addictive to people in chronic pain, while flooding the market. They basically did everything in their power to create the opposite effect of taboo. The pill/substance didn't do it, but those utterly abhorrent pieces of shit did.

-------------------

If anyone was wondering when the primacy of shareholder value over all else was established:

ford.jpg

Corporations have nothing to do with free markets, and are just as much an abominable creation of the government as the IRS and EPA.

And yes, that actually was Dodge's company logo at the time. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Let's revisit this, since it got a lot of people killed that didn't have to be dead: The Unforgivable Ivermectin Swindle - by Quoth the Raven

Never forget this: https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/...b9_588x516.png

The inhuman pieces of shit at the FDA make me wish there really was a Hell.
    Greg Tucker-Kellogg publishes fraudulent study to attack ivermectin

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I am not trying to deride anything, a lot of guys are as romantic and emotional as you about this stuff in my part of the world too. Pain can lead to substance abuse, sure, but I think a concerned effort by an enemy to flood your country with the substance plays a big part too. The videos of downtown blue hives are pretty clear proof of my assertion.
    I am in agreement with you; this is the Third Opium War and the US is losing badly.
    When anecdotal reports from rural towns claim half of the young people are using opiates, pain and addictive personality are not the main problems.
    Most of the opiate addiction cases I have personally seen started with a painkiller prescription from Doctors Sackler and Soros.

Top Chinese general in 2003 speaking about unconventional warfare against America and the need to kill 100-200 million Americans.
    https://greatawakening.win/p/16aTH9B...-haotian-said/

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I didn’t mean to say that violent revolution was the only way, I only meant to say that walking all of this clown world stuff back would require something like a revolution. The more logical alternative is as you say, wait out the disintegration of the system and focus on rebuilding with like minded people. But it sure looks like it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.
    Too late to walk that back; if you happen to be 5'4", 300lbs and elderly, the FBI will be paying you a visit soon.

What is going on in Hawaii?
    How did a Jewish New Yorker and a foreign-born Korean come to occupy the Governor and Lt. Governor positions in Hawaii?
    He beat a lifelong resident with native blood to win the election with 65% of the vote.
    Is this democracy?
    Do they even pretend to represent local Hawaiians?

Let me suggest that you guys read Jacob Sullum's book about drugs and addiction: Amazon.com

TLDR version: There are no addictive drugs. There are only addicts with addictive personalities. He is correct about this.
    I agree. I've used the stuff that supposedly gets people hooked. Cocaine when I was younger. (Lord, have mercy, my house was never as clean since, lol.) The opiates they prescribed when I first started struggling with the CIDP. The Valium and Xanax they gave me after Ben died. The alcohol I drowned myself in. I watched my grandmother, grandfather, mother, and father struggle with addiction. It's two different kinds of people. You are either the kind of person who feels yourself slipping down that slope and you stop and grapple with it or you take the easy way. Just like so many other things. You do the hard thing or you don't, and there's not a lot of in-between. The people who can do the hard thing are very likely to be able to do the hard thing in other areas of their life. The people who can't do the hard thing don't stay clean even if they clean up temporarily because life is one big hard thing. There's lots of those people out there, it's just that some of them are feeding their dopamine needs with socially acceptable addictions like social media and sugar. Me? I've gotten really comfortable with being uncomfortable. I'm not sure who has the better deal.

I know guys that have used heroin twice. Two times. There is nothing automatic about addiction -- there are just a few people who enjoy tweaking their CNS. When this gets to be a habit, the drug gets blamed? Well, that's easier, I suppose. But the numbers across all drugs, from alcohol to heroin, are remarkably consistent: a small minority of people who use them become addicted, and a small minority of these people get clean.
    Certainly, and two times isn't close to enough. There are other pressures than "I like the way this makes me feel."

I don't recall blaming it on the drug, either, but there are substances that have much steeper addiction curves. And how does he explain people who drink alcohol consistently throughout their adult lives, but form addictions after significant grief or trauma events? Severe chronic pain?

Addiction isn't a justification or an excuse. You're always responsible for your choices, but sometimes the slope is steeper than others.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Certainly, and two times isn't close to enough. There are other pressures than "I like the way this makes me feel."
    Do you remember when crack cocaine appeared? It was "instantly addictive." Nothing is "instantly addictive," because it's not the shit, it's you. There are slight differences between tobacco, alcohol, crack, and heroin. Read the book, he makes his case convincingly.

Do you remember when crack cocaine appeared? It was "instantly addictive." Nothing is "instantly addictive," because it's not the shit, it's you. There are slight differences between tobacco, alcohol, crack, and heroin. Read the book, he makes his case convincingly.
    Fair enough. I purchased the ebook on credit. I'll try to squeeze it in soon.

Let me suggest that you guys read Jacob Sullum's book about drugs and addiction: Amazon.com

TLDR version: There are no addictive drugs. There are only addicts with addictive personalities. He is correct about this.
    Googling “Vietnam heroin addiction” should pull up links to the studies of soldiers who used heroin in Vietnam & what happened when the men got back home to the US.

Astonishingly, many simply stopped using.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I agree. I've used the stuff that supposedly gets people hooked. Cocaine when I was younger. (Lord, have mercy, my house was never as clean since, lol.) The opiates they prescribed when I first started struggling with the CIDP. The Valium and Xanax they gave me after Ben died. The alcohol I drowned myself in. I watched my grandmother, grandfather, mother, and father struggle with addiction. It's two different kinds of people. You are either the kind of person who feels yourself slipping down that slope and you stop and grapple with it or you take the easy way. Just like so many other things. You do the hard thing or you don't, and there's not a lot of in-between. The people who can do the hard thing are very likely to be able to do the hard thing in other areas of their life. The people who can't do the hard thing don't stay clean even if they clean up temporarily because life is one big hard thing. There's lots of those people out there, it's just that some of them are feeding their dopamine needs with socially acceptable addictions like social media and sugar. Me? I've gotten really comfortable with being uncomfortable. I'm not sure who has the better deal.
    Very true words Jenni. I can relate to your words indeed. I suppose that's why I am so in love with lifting. It's a hard thing. But is very orderly with attainable goals. A structure that helps keep me on track and out of the rut.

-----------------

because it's not the shit, it's you.
    From my experience, I can agree with this. I have found however, that there is a spectrum of personality types. Some are more susceptible to falling into the addiction paradigm than others. And some, even when have fallen into that lifestyle can snap themselves out of it. Others can not get out of it by themselves but need help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I am in agreement with you; this is the Third Opium War and the US is losing badly.
    When anecdotal reports from rural towns claim half of the young people are using opiates, pain and addictive personality are not the main problems.
    Most of the opiate addiction cases I have personally seen started with a painkiller prescription from Doctors Sackler and Soros.

Top Chinese general in 2003 speaking about unconventional warfare against America and the need to kill 100-200 million Americans.
    Chinese General Chi Haotian said, in a leaked 2005 speech, that they would have to use a bioweapon to KILL HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF AMERICANS -- so they could COLONIZE America. "Only by using non-destructive weapons that can kill many people will we be able to reserve America for ourselves." - The Great Awakening - Where We Go Qne, We Go All!
    I’ve read this speech and honestly, it sounds like a fake. I remember another speech by a supposed military intelligence general from China in which he describes economic warfare, that one sounds more believable. Nonetheless, the actions seem to speak louder than words. Even if we assume that addiction to opiates is a matter of personal failings or whatever, China is still serving the proverbial rope that Americans are hanging themselves on. I also doubt that the Communist Party would allow Shanghai or whatever city to look like San Francisco, with all the tents and junkies occupying the streets.