COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 2831

starting strength gym
Page 2831 of 2908 FirstFirst ... 183123312731278128212829283028312832283328412881 ... LastLast
Results 28,301 to 28,310 of 29073

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #28301
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,377

  2. #28302
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    The irony in this post is amusing.

    Everyone here seems be be conflating state and federal government organizations with profit seeking organizations. Hiring, managing, and retaining competent employees matters much more when profit is at stake.
    Of course it matters more. This happens in large corporations, not tiny companies (usually), since there is much more money available to spend on nonsense instead of competence. In fact, that's why small companies were made exempt from affirmative action rules. For fucks sake, do I really have to spell out every last detail? The problem only reaches its worst case in government institutions, since in that case you don't even need bare minimum competence.

    Anyone who has worked in a corporation of sufficient size pushing a DIE program realizes that you are completely full of shit. In fact, I suspect that even you know you are full of shit. The amount of resources that go into simply creating a DIE program proves my point. Millions, if not billions of dollars are squandered on this shit. And that is all money that could have been spent on competence.

    You are effectively engaging in the "get them to debate nonsense" tactic. You get people to chase their tails, fighting battles that would cost you little or nothing for them to win. It's intellectual low-balling. You are engaging in the 1980s version of "men can be women".

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Sorry I canít dumb it dumb it down anymore.
    You're not supposed to dumb it down. You're supposed to make it clear. Did your beloved Feynman teach you nothing?

  3. #28303
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    52,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Still doesn't support your original assertion. Hiring a diverse workforce requires a diverse interest in that workforce's craft or profession. Think about this..
    I have. This doesn't make any sense. Maybe you should explain why diversity makes ownership money.

    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    You're not supposed to dumb it down. You're supposed to make it clear. Did your beloved Feynman teach you nothing?
    Barry, you are at times very "cryptic," for lack of a better term. I have mentioned this before.

  4. #28304
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Of course it matters more. This happens in large corporations, not tiny companies (usually), since there is much more money available to spend on nonsense instead of competence. In fact, that's why small companies were made exempt from affirmative action rules. For fucks sake, do I really have to spell out every last detail? The problem only reaches its worst case in government institutions, since in that case you don't even need bare minimum competence.

    Anyone who has worked in a corporation of sufficient size pushing a DIE program realizes that you are completely full of shit. In fact, I suspect that even you know you are full of shit. The amount of resources that go into simply creating a DIE program proves my point. Millions, if not billions of dollars are squandered on this shit. And that is all money that could have been spent on competence.

    You are effectively engaging in the "get them to debate nonsense" tactic. You get people to chase their tails, fighting battles that would cost you little or nothing for them to win. It's intellectual low-balling. You are engaging in the 1980s version of "men can be women".



    You're not supposed to dumb it down. You're supposed to make it clear. Did your beloved Feynman teach you nothing?
    Exactly. My previous posts re DEI were from my experience working 30 years for a very large automotive company.

    The bottom line, in my humble opinion, is DEI is pushing any non-male, non-white candidates irregardless of competency and experience. This has been going on "behind the scenes" for at least 20-25 years. Now it's full blown out of control.

    An interesting observation I've seen as females in the engineering workplace have dramatically increased over the years; lots and lots of affairs and indiscriminate behavior. It's so commonplace now I have actually worked with several female engineers who married colleagues, divorced said colleagues, and proudly displayed their new last names on their office doors.
    Three times seems to be the charm, apparently.

    Back in the old days, it was just a bunch of crusty old engineers who earned their battle scars, knew what the hell they were doing, probably worked way too many hours and drank way too much coffee. Life seemed simpler back then; a lot less drama, and shit actually got done pretty accurately and efficiently...

  5. #28305
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    My solutions always go back to people, not authoritarian government styles. The teen is loitering for a reason - one the nearby community is probably aware of - lack of a parent, addiction - some problem that is better addressed by those around him and doesn't require jail. (Usually.) The answer to the murdered child should be obvious. As of now, if we put these people in jail we let the other inmates do the dirty work the trial won't. Which isn't a very honest answer in my view.
    "The nearby community"... hmm... like a society? That in your view should have morals and standards that the community at large upholds? Sounds an awful lot like laws and law enforcement to me. And I have not once said that "authoritarian government styles" is the solution, so please stop insinuating that as my position. You might be shocked to learn that we probably have very similar views on the role of government in the individual's life. If you don't believe me, go back in this thread and read my posts about mask mandates.

    Let's back up to a time before Subby decided to catastrophically derail this discussion with his groundless "diversity" non sequitur. Your assertion was that you are your own authority and that you comply as you see fit. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you think this applies to everyone and not just you.

    So what about the child murderer and the loitering teen? What about their own authority and decisions not to comply? If they decide what is right and what is wrong for themselves, then what gives anybody else any right to stop them from committing these acts? Sure, the child murderer might incur the vengeful wrath of the parents, but what stops the child murderer's parents or friends from then seeking revenge? I realize that's a bit of stretch, but the point is that when justice is subject the whims and emotions of the parties involved in the crime (which actually cannot be defined if there are no "laws"), then things get out of hand pretty quickly.

    I'm on your property? You ask me to leave, politely. You're on mine? I shoot you dead. I steal your car? You steal mine back. You steal mine? I burn down your house. And it goes on, ad infinitum. There is no logical, objective end to this. And I realize the standard anarchist comeback to this is example is that it's extreme and that it won't happen in reality. But all it takes is a single disturbance in an undampened system for things to spiral out of control.

    The best solution - in my opinion - is to have an objective agreement, managed and upheld by an impartial third party, that 1) defines the crime and 2) defines the consequence for committing that crime. This removes the emotion and subjects everyone in that society to the same standards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Also, can it be called "cooperation" if it's forced with the threat of escalating punishments?
    But the child murderer should have an "obvious" solution. Okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    So why are you stuck on insisting that others join you in the Great Cooperation? See, my way gives choice. If you and yours want to group together to get things done you can. Free association of individuals and all. Get to it! But your team (for lack of a better word) wants the situation enforced. They are cooperating so everyone should. Instead of choice it's deciding that this way is better so everyone must participate. That's what we're really arguing here. The tools that ya'll want to use to get "more done" mostly don't belong to you. The labor, the patents, the innovation, often the money - they have to be taken from someone who may or may not have wanted to cooperate given a choice. Why are you demanding advancement, ease, and peace on the backs of those who don't necessarily want to give it? If it works so well why has it got to be enforced at gun point?
    Jenni, if you're not interested in "cooperating" then get off the website you didn't code on the internet you didn't create using the computer you didn't build from the parts you didn't manufacture and that is powered by the electricity that you don't generate. And before you say you don't need do these things yourself because you pay for them, remember that you get the money to pay for those things by going to a job that has rules and that can pay you to do a job because other people in society pay them to do a valuable service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have. This doesn't make any sense.
    How does this not make sense? You think companies just offers a job to someone who doesn't apply because that person is "diverse"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Maybe you should explain why diversity makes ownership money.
    I don't have to, as I am not the one asserting this. Burden of proof and whatnot. I realize this is unsatisfactory to most in this thread.

  6. #28306
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    52,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Jenni, if you're not interested in "cooperating" then get off the website you didn't code on the internet you did...
    Eric, this hostile shit will get you booted very quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    How does this not make sense? You think companies just offers a job to someone who doesn't apply because that person is "diverse"?
    I KNOW that companies do this, to protect their funding. That you don't is revealing.

    I don't have to, as I am not the one asserting this. Burden of proof and whatnot. I realize this is unsatisfactory to most in this thread.
    You can't, because it doesn't. Now, back to civil discourse, everybody.

  7. #28307
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Eric, this hostile shit will get you booted very quickly.
    Very well. Apologies, sincerely. Hostility was not my intent.

  8. #28308
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Prior to this pedestrian bridge collapse which unfortunately killed many people, the project was touted as a DEI success story. It appears that part of the story has been scrubbed from the Internet.

    This could have easily been a steel beam structure either free-spanning the short distance, or with a center support in the median if needed. At significantly less cost as well.

    It's interesting, the Mackinac Bridge is 5 miles long, built 70 years ago in 600 foot deep Lake Michigan water, and still stands strong today. But this 170 foot pedestrian bridge collapsed within a few days?

    Pedestrian Bridge Collapse Over SW 8th Street HWY18MH009 - YouTube

  9. #28309
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Back in the old days, it was just a bunch of crusty old engineers who earned their battle scars, knew what the hell they were doing, probably worked way too many hours and drank way too much coffee. Life seemed simpler back then; a lot less drama, and shit actually got done pretty accurately and efficiently...
    So, are the cars worse now because of the female engineers?

  10. #28310
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    52,865

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    So, are the cars worse now because of the female engineers?
    If the cars are worse now, it's because of the bullshit surrounding the female engineers. Birthing Persons can engineer just like Non-Birthing Persons, but they have been hired for their birthing ability, not their engineering ability. This is the harsh reality, Eric.

    ______________________________________________

    And here is Today's Wave of Nausea: https://twitter.com/sarahashtonlv/st...66677475766329

    Your "tax money" goes here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •