starting strength gym
Page 291 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1912412812892902912922933013413917911291 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

1) That everyone in our situation, in my city, could also violate the law, without putting undue risk on the wellbeing of others (there are many people in these kids' lives who they would love to hug, and many kids in their neighbourhood who have people in their lives they would love to hug, and many couples in this city who would love not to be physically separated).

2) That the government had exceeded its grace period for action in the case that the first condition holds.

If 1) is not met, then violating the law is selfish. And one better be damn sure when making the assessment that 1) is indeed met. The bar should be high enough that you'd be willing to look a child in the eye and tell them that it was the right thing to do to break the law in this situation.
    I screwed up the quotes on my previous post. I was trying to quote something different. After posting, I saw this response which must have been submitted while I was writing.

The concept of a government mandating who I can and cannot visit, come into contact with, or hug, is an egregious thought to me. Just think about that for a second:

You arrive at your girlfriends house and you just so happen to give loving hugs to her kids who adore and love you. You also just so happen to do so in view of a nosy neighbor who contacts the RCMP... They proceed to haul you away to jail. That sounds like something that would happen in North Korea.

Cowardice involves failing to do what one believes to be the right thing, out of fear of consequences to oneself (e.g. judgment, punishment, injury, etc.)

If my girlfriend and I were to make the decision to violate the law, it would only be just under the following conditions:

1) That everyone in our situation, in my city, could also violate the law, without putting undue risk on the wellbeing of others (there are many people in these kids' lives who they would love to hug, and many kids in their neighbourhood who have people in their lives they would love to hug, and many couples in this city who would love not to be physically separated).

2) That the government had exceeded its grace period for action in the case that the first condition holds.

If 1) is not met, then violating the law is selfish. And one better be damn sure when making the assessment that 1) is indeed met. The bar should be high enough that you'd be willing to look a child in the eye and tell them that it was the right thing to do to break the law in this situation.

If and when both of these conditions are met, you can be damn sure I'll be breaking the law and encouraging others to do the same.
    You are going to be the best guard at the FEMA COVID Internment Camps.

Because it's currently illegal, given that we haven't yet moved in together, and are in separate households.

And because violating this law may have consequences beyond being fined.
    Sorry dude, but if you won’t break the “law” to hug your girlfriend I can’t take you seriously whatsoever.

Cowardice involves failing to do what one believes to be the right thing, out of fear of consequences to oneself (e.g. judgment, punishment, injury, etc.)

Cowardice is the act of a wilful evasion of reality. If your girlfriend and her child really has value to you, then nothing should stop you hugging them, nor they hugging you. What you are engaged in is an an act of willing self-sacrifice which you hold as altruism/duty and therefore good. In fact what you are really doing is rejecting yourself by denying your values. Your act of self-sacrificial altruism, is the sanction of the victim to be the meal in the cannibals cooking pot and expecting everyone else to meekly step into that pot because you were selfless enough to do so, is immoral to the point of evil. Here’s hoping you are never in a position to exercise power over other people’s lives, because, God help them.

If my girlfriend and I were to make the decision to violate the law, it would only be just under the following conditions:

1) That everyone in our situation, in my city, could also violate the law, without putting undue risk on the wellbeing of others
    How many times have you personally broken the speed limit by 1km/h or more on a Highway in the last 5 years? Simple question, simple answer required.

If once or more, you’re happy to impose that “undue risk” of death - which the law prohibits you doing - on others and yourself. More people die because of road accidents than COVID-19. You are an imbecile and a coward for not seeing your partner and the child. If you have broken the speed limit on a Highway more once in the last five years, you are also a hypocrite regarding your own principles. And if you avoid answering the question, you’ve just doubled-down on your cowardice. Well played Sir.

The bar should be high enough that you'd be willing to look a child in the eye and tell them that it was the right thing to do to break the law in this situation
    So we can all safely say that the child you see in the mirror every day agrees with your course of action. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    You’re exactly what the powers that be are looking for. You say you love someone, but for the greater good you’ll withhold your love.

You should be on a poster trying on a new pair of Jack Boots. With the slogan “sacrifices have to be made, after all we’re all in this together”!

My freakin’ hell...
    Nuremberg defense. "Only following orders."

If and when both of these conditions are met, you can be damn sure I'll be breaking the law and encouraging others to do the same.
    In other words, conditional courage when the collective or the gubmint says it's OK.

Courage is an intrinsic characteristic and behavior, not an extrinsic and permitted act. What you described is merely following the herd of other sheep or the barking herd dog telling you it's OK to group up again.

What in the Hell has happened to the Canadians?

Absolutely unbelievable. You wouldn't violate a law because it might perceived as [i]selfish[/]? If this kind of attitude is representative of the entire Canadian people, the US will quickly annex your asses once the bombs start flying.

During my morning read, I laughed when I read it. Bold is mine "Astrid Hedin, a senior lecturer at Malmö University who focuses on Swedish politics, said people are confident in the strategy because of how it is being communicated.

"I don't think that Swedes trust expertise or authorities blindly. Quite the reverse, we trust them when they reason and explain – which the Public Health Agency has been doing daily since the start of the crisis."

She added: "I think the attitude of the Public Health Agency is very important here. They have not presented themselves as infallible. Quite the reverse, they have emphasized that if any other country finds ways to address the crisis that seem to be working, Sweden will be quick to follow."