starting strength gym
Page 295 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1952452852932942952962973053453957951295 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I already gave the Most Pathetic superlative to the guy who is going to close up shop, take what savings he has, and move out of his home state, leaving behind his friends, family, and a business because he didn't want to put a sticker in his window.

Previously it went to the guy whose freedom was violated by the minimum wage worker that wouldn't hold his receipt for him at Costco.
    I was the guy that posted about the Costco worker who was scared to touch my receipt despite that fact that he was wearing a mask and gloves. BTW, Costco does not pay workers minimum wage. I never said or implied that my "freedom was violated" by that experience. In fact, I pointed out that I understood that guy was just trying to deal with the situation as best he could and I noted that it was just an odd experience where I always thought one wore gloves to safely touch things one otherwise would not touch. You remind me of all the cable news idiots who just make shit up to fit their little imaginary world view. I bet you wear a covid mask while you drive your car.

He doesn't have a car. He's from New York.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Also sounds like he’s moving Tesla HQ to Tejas.
    I wish. It's a bluff and publicity stunt. As fun as it would be for Tesla to move major ops to Texas it ain't happening. CA politicians love railing against capitalism and capitalists, but they love money more and Tesla represents a lot of money. They'll bend the knee out of view from the cameras. And if you're Musk, you're beyond the point of caring how much disposable income you have. Regional tax policies don't impact his standard of living so why not choose to live in sunny and beautiful California?

Well this is somewhat good and bad news:

YouTube

If you have time, watch the whole thing, but I set it to start at the 34 min mark.

Bad news because it seems not a lot of people have had this virus yet, relatively speaking.

Good news because it confirms all of our suspicions, To continue the lockdowns indefinitely is to kick the proverbial can down the road, and only delay the inevitable: Letting this spread throughout the population, until it burns out.

Basically there is no "safe" option like politicians are making it seem. The virus has spread past the point where lockdowns are effective, and if we were to continue to stay locked down until there was a vaccine, we quite possibly never would come out.

There really never was any other option but to face it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    I wish. It's a bluff and publicity stunt. As fun as it would be for Tesla to move major ops to Texas it ain't happening. CA politicians love railing against capitalism and capitalists, but they love money more and Tesla represents a lot of money. They'll bend the knee out of view from the cameras. And if you're Musk, you're beyond the point of caring how much disposable income you have. Regional tax policies don't impact his standard of living so why not choose to live in sunny and beautiful California?
    Probably. Obvs the guy is not price sensitive. Still, this is someone who wants to move humanity into a 0.3 g environment. Hard to predict motivations in such an individual.

Fallout will be entertaining.

J.B Pritzker is like a fucking 9 year old that starts trying to change the rules of the game as soon as he starts losing.

‘Worse Than the Disease’: Rauner Blasts Pritzker’s Handling of Coronavirus – NBC Chicago

First it was flatten the curve, then we flattened the curve, then we were at the peak, whoops the peak is actually in may, ope now its mid June, now its about "saving lives"

How many times does this fat fuck have to move the goal post, before someone steps in and tells him he cant keep doing it?

It's unfair to the entire state, I dont care if you're in Chicago, The suburbs, or in the middle of a corn field in the south.

You can't keep people safe, everybody dies, and I'd rather be free than completely safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    Well this is somewhat good and bad news:

YouTube
    Robinson and Bhattacharya again. These guys are important in this discussion.

Across the nation, 10-20% of stroke and chest pain cases didn't come to the hospital in March. Excess mortality, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Across the nation, 10-20% of stroke and chest pain cases didn't come to the hospital in March. Excess mortality, anyone?
    Consistent with the takeaway of NYC’s DOHMH report. Which was intentionally buried in the media’s rendition.

What are the absolute #’s for those %ages? ~ 5-10k?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I already gave the Most Pathetic superlative to the guy who is going to close up shop, take what savings he has, and move out of his home state, leaving behind his friends, family, and a business because he didn't want to put a sticker in his window.

Previously it went to the guy whose freedom was violated by the minimum wage worker that wouldn't hold his receipt for him at Costco.

Hollis, your "pathetic" is most people's hierarchy of God, Country, Family.....dogs.....annoying neighbors....backseat drivers....ants....(missing anyone?)....bureaucrats' "orders".

Many, for example, would rather save their children by moving, homeschooling, or paying for private school, than try to "fix" their local public schools. I was sacrificed to suffer through busing and other godawful bureaucratic edicts as my parents tried to "fix" urban suburban schools, and it's much more torturous than you think it is laudable, trust me.

If you live in an urban or majority-minority area and actually sacrifice your kids' lives to experimentation while you try to "fix" broken public schools, well, your "bravery," level of care for society, and obedience to the law (I'd call them something else) are right on par with spacediver's traits.

Cody the SSC, OTOH, was absolutely red-pilled and emotionally strong enough, and a man of character, to make the decision he did.

(Very similar reasoning to why I upped and moved my family (dog, too!) to Russia)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    The problem isn't in the stats. I'm going to be far more generous than a lot of people here and just assume the politicians are asking the wrong question (rather than actively pursuing a power grab). Here is how it happens:
    1. Lots of news that coronavirus is bad.
    2. Lots of news about what everyone else is doing to stop it.
    3. Lots of statistics and science that is not well understood.
    4. Well meaning politician asks health advisor "how do I minimise deaths from coronavirus"
    5. Health advisor is excited that they are the major advisor on this, and in their enthusiasm takes question literally and advises extreme measures.
    (optional step) economic advisor says "but the jobs", health advisor says "this is about lives"
    6. Politician acts on health advisor recommendation (taking advice is safe)
    7. Unintended consequences ensue.
    Bravo, Mark! This is quite good and fits excellently with Occam's Razor.

But given human nature and the history of big-gubmint decisions in our country over the past half-century or so, you'd have to add a few steps for self-enrichment and power grabs by the politicians and bureaucrats, to be fully accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    This! A million times over. The health advisor has a job: minimize infections and deaths from contagious diseases. I get it. You ask them the best way to do it, and they’ll tell you. That’s their job.

The problem with experts in anything is that they are rarely capable of analyzing other fields with the same rigor. So, when the health advisor has the platform to a very multi-dimensional problem, all other arguments come behind it because it’s not the most optimal solution to the expert’s problem.

To be fair, it is the responsibility of the head of the governing bodies to hear and weigh arguments from all sides and base decisions on that.
    Excellent, Frank, and also, when you factor in politicians' and bureaucrats' intolerance for blame for "bad" outcomes from risky situations, you get the stinking mess we're currently dealing with.
    In one of Ann Coulter's recent radio interviews (happy to dig up the link if anyone's interested), the host compared the "health experts'" recommendations to asking a pilot when the "remain seated" light should be turned off. He'll say never!!
    Because there's always a big risk of someone on his plane getting hurt from walking around. But we value being able to walk around and relieve ourselves in the restroom so much that we (the free market) won't allow the pilot to leave that "fasten seatbelts" light on for the entire flight.

Hollis (a sticker on your business's window isn't too much for you), spacediver (physical separation from loved ones isn't too much), others:
    What do YOU value more than protecting others ("saving lives") from possible death from the Wuhan Flu, such that you would cease to comply with these authoritarian (& unconstitutional?) restrictions?