starting strength gym
Page 301 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2012512912993003013023033113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you're doomed, and then the big one hits. Inslee and the MILF Whitmer are in a contest to see which one can get assassinated first.
    If you want to see a real MILF, look up South Dakota's governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Irrefutable proof that the virus is not that scary.

Vaccine research: Thousands of people want to be exposed to Covid-19 for science

Wonder how many of these same folks would want to sign up for a "human challenge study" for Ebola.

sb
    If you lived in an Ebola endemic area, and agreeing to this was a way to get an Ebola vaccine months or years before you could otherwise, you might volunteer for this.

I don’t think this proves anything about the virus Itself, one way or another. I’m sure you could round up a few thousand people to do all sorts of dumb, dangerous, and pointless shit voluntarily. Especially if you did it on TV.

That said, I do agree that for young, healthy volunteers, this is low risk. It will be interesting to see what the FDA says, and what the IRBs day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Won't need cops. Just "scary" stuff on social media paired with shaming.
    OK, so it will work on the self selected sheep. There plenty of people who would take an attempt to shame them as a badge of honor. Like me.

Also, and I mean no disrespect to you by this, but you are thinking like a city guy. What you describe would be too difficult to pull off with any degree of effectiveness in rural areas. Even with the self selected sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Permanent closure of 23 miles of city streets to cars necessary due to CCP virus: Seattle will permanently close 20 miles of residential streets to most vehicle traffic | The Seattle Times
    And in the mother of all shockers, we have been told these closures will now be permanent.

And things are about to get interesting in Washington: https://twitter.com/LynnwoodTimes/st...29498966847494
    In the far-off corners of the internet, people are claiming that it's the "mark of the beast" and that the apocalypse is nigh.

Maybe Mark Hurling has a comment on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    OK, so it will work on the self selected sheep. There plenty of people who would take an attempt to shame them as a badge of honor. Like me.

Also, and I mean no disrespect to you by this, but you are thinking like a city guy. What you describe would be too difficult to pull off with any degree of effectiveness in rural areas. Even with the self selected sheep.
    I took that as him being facetious.

I agree about the rural areas. Here in Seattle and in many places west of the cascades, Inslee has a lot of support- enough to get him elected. I am hoping the eastern part of our state stands strong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    And in the mother of all shockers, we have been told these closures will now be permanent.
    Let me clear here. These closures were originally couched as part of the CV response. It didn't take long to pivot to permanent.

I think you're doomed, and then the big one hits. Inslee and the MILF Whitmer are in a contest to see which one can get assassinated first.
    Yeah, well, I thought that about Robert O'Rourke, too, when he was out-right saying, "Hell YEAH we're gonna take your guns!" And here we are...

I think these people are likely to get relegated to the dust bin of history after being voted out of office before that happens, but who knows? The times, they are a-changin'...

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    In the far-off corners of the internet, people are claiming that it's the "mark of the beast" and that the apocalypse is nigh.

Maybe Mark Hurling has a comment on this.
    Wow! A second summoning of the Candyman.

I dunno about the Apocalypse, all that 666 and the Mark of the Beast (see what I did there?) stuff. As far as I am concerned not wearing a mask has become a statement in it's own right. I finally acquiesced to putting one on this morning when I went to the bone cracker for a spinal tune up. I had anticipated this and while I think it is excessive, the close quarters required for an adjustment does have some pretense of plausibility.

But wearing one in a store? NOPE. As I have said earlier in this thread, the Walmarts here won't admonish you to put one on, and I understand the local Kroger and Schnucks will. So until they pull their heads out their asses, I am not going to either one for anything.

As for getting braced for tracing or testing? I won't cooperate. If they come to my door they will be summarily ordered off my property. I have no idea what the consequences might be, but I do know that Jackson County doesn't have enough deputies to spare for such nonsense. Nor does District 13 of the Illinois State Police. I don't live in a town, rather out in the rurals and the Local Yokels and the County Mounties with badges would rather die than get the ISP involved.

For the serology fans - YT

I won't pretend that I understood much of it, but I heard some interesting stuff about potential for reinfection from about 33 minutes in.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    No.

Well, yes, if you are consuming news media or especially social media, and listening to politicians, odds are good someone is lying to you.

The testosterone/estrogen risks for covid, and the seeming contradiction, is not someone lying. It’s what happens when medical insights are generated and reported in real time. They sometimes seem self-contradictory and are sometimes just wrong.

Even for diseases and treatments that are well-established and have been exhaustively studied for years, we sometimes see that things are actually opposite to what we think we have proven.

This is why my primary contribution to the arguments over covid #s on this thread has been pretty unsatisfying: basically, in real time we don’t have good numbers, and have to work with shitty ones if we want to do anything. The corollary of this is that clinical insights generated during this phase are likely to miss the mark or be outright wrong (E.g. effect of ACE inhibitors, utility of hydroxychloroquine, how/when to ventilate). Testosterone/estrogen and the male/female effect on covid mortality may be one of these things that we misunderstand for a while before getting it right.

So you would be reckless to take estrogen or testosterone for covid purposes (unless you are enrolled in a clinical trial, in which case you are altruistic).

You're right, and I should have been clearer in what I was saying. Instead, I just wanted to get a post out. Thank you for the measured response.

My issue is with headlines. Right under the title of that article is a sentence saying scientists are treating men with female sex hormones. The remainder of the article isn't relevant; the headline and first sentence are what get shared, read, hyped up, and shared again. In this case, it could easily be boiled down to "Look! Testosterone is toxic! Science!".

Which leads me down the rabbit hole of motives. Why write about this specific topic at all in the New York Times? Why edit the piece to have the title crafted as such? Are they just going for clicks, or is there a PR campaign afoot? Or am I paranoid?