COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 302

starting strength gym
Page 302 of 456 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 4559

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #3011
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    • texas starting strength seminar september 2020
    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    If you want to see a real MILF, look up South Dakota's governor.
    Understatement. Her common sense enhances it.

    I can't tell if Whitmer is digging herself into a deeper hole or she is going to weather the storm and her actions will be upheld. The Wisconsin Supreme Court showed some balls today so we have a precedent now. No one is worse than her in this thing but it looks like she may just get away with it, which would not be surprising but not any less disappointing.

  2. #3012
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rocksprings, TX
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    If you lived in an Ebola endemic area, and agreeing to this was a way to get an Ebola vaccine months or years before you could otherwise, you might volunteer for this.
    Note, I said these same folks. Ebola is, in fact scary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    OK, so it will work on the self selected sheep. There plenty of people who would take an attempt to shame them as a badge of honor. Like me.

    Also, and I mean no disrespect to you by this, but you are thinking like a city guy. What you describe would be too difficult to pull off with any degree of effectiveness in rural areas. Even with the self selected sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I took that as him being facetious.

    I agree about the rural areas. Here in Seattle and in many places west of the cascades, Inslee has a lot of support- enough to get him elected. I am hoping the eastern part of our state stands strong on this.
    I do tend to be a bit glib. I should work on that....

    The disparity between rural folks and city dwellers is funny. Not ha-ha funny. Especially when the city folks' ideas, edicts, stupidity is applied with broad brush strokes that suffocate the rest of us.

    So, I am with you that this sort of thing SHOULD NOT WORK, but for a bunch of folks it might. As you say, self-selected farm animals.

    sb

  3. #3013
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Brothers View Post
    You're right, and I should have been clearer in what I was saying. Instead, I just wanted to get a post out. Thank you for the measured response.

    My issue is with headlines. Right under the title of that article is a sentence saying scientists are treating men with female sex hormones. The remainder of the article isn't relevant; the headline and first sentence are what get shared, read, hyped up, and shared again. In this case, it could easily be boiled down to "Look! Testosterone is toxic! Science!".

    Which leads me down the rabbit hole of motives. Why write about this specific topic at all in the New York Times? Why edit the piece to have the title crafted as such? Are they just going for clicks, or is there a PR campaign afoot? Or am I paranoid?
    Here’s what often happens:

    1. Researcher does decent research that is solid, plausible, but is very complicated and will require a real study to evaluate. Like saying that there seems to be a connection between sex and COVID severity, and that there is reason to think this may be mediated by testosterone/estrogen. Maybe even suggests a clinical trial to supplement T or EST.

    2. PR/Media Relations person at the researcher’s institution calls around every day: who’s doing work on COVID. Hears about our researchers work, calls him or her. “So I hear your work shows testosterone makes COVID worse and we should give men estrogen. Would you be willing to be interviewed by a reporter?” “Well, um, it’s not that simple, we really don’t know yet”...”But your world shows this might be true?” “Well yes, it might be” “has anyone else published on this yet?” “Well, I think there are some things in press that are related...” “Great, I’ll have the NYT reporter call you later today. What’s your cell?”

    3. Researcher decides he or she can explain the details to the reporter, and doesn’t HAVE to oversimplify. Thinks NYT interview could be good for career, name and link will get emailed all around the school or company.... Meanwhile, PR person puts out press release titled “Latest Research Show Men Should Take Estrogen to Avoid COVID, sends it everywhere. Researcher doesnt see this press release until stories and more interview request roll in.

    4. NYT reporter is smart and savvy, gets what Researcher is saying about the limits of their work, but does emphasize the more interesting aspects and possibilities, and simplifies a lot for the general reader at 8th grade reading level. Is constantly asked by editor what “new COVID angle they can come up with.” In the process, Reporter winds up getting a few key facts wrong and slanting the story in a way the researcher thinks the actual research doesn’t justify.

    5. Headline writer (Reporters don’t write their headlines) at NYT skims article and comes up with headline given newspaper space constraints: MEN GET COVID WORSE, SHOULD TAKE ESTROGEN, EXPERTS SAY... online the title maybe is even longer and more click-beauty: RESEARCHERS SAY TAKING COMMON SEX HORMONE CAN HELP YOU AVOID COVID. Buzzfeed sees the story, scrapes it, runs “ONE WEIRD TRICK TO AVOID CORONAVIRUS: YOU WONT BELIEVE WHICH HORMONE HAS MAGICAL EFFECT.”

    6. Researcher pulls out remaining hair, vows never to speak with media again, is strangely quiet when colleagues share congratulations on “getting good press” for the lab/company. They didn’t read the whole story either, as they are busy and jealous.

    Maybe we should amend an old saying: Never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by laziness and greed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Note, I said these same folks. Ebola is, in fact scary.
    I got that, was making an analogy where people would agree to exposure to a legit scary virus if they felt, right or wrong, there were an upside.

    So people who think COVID is scary might agree to the trial if they think they will be getting a workable vaccine. Or they may think it’s NOT scary and the just want to get the stipend and/or bragging rights over having an unavailable vaccine. So their behavior does not weigh on solely whether they find it scary or not. That was my only small point. I hope they do it.

    Having sat on an IRB, which are set up to protect research subjects from sloppy research, I can tell you we mostly tried to protect subjects from themselves.

    No matter how many times you say it verbally and print it on the forms they sign, nobody seems to believe you when you say “This research Is likely to NOT have any benefit for you. It MAY have benefit to those doing research and for future patients. You may get a placebo (although they can’t really plan to expose Placebo-vaccinated subjects to live COVID virus). Although there is a chance you will receive a working vaccine, it is not known if or how long it will be effective for you, and you should proceed with precautions on the assumption you may be contagious or get re-infected. Your only tangible benefit may be free physical exams and a parking and meal voucher for each followup visit.” SIGN ME UP!

    Everyone assumes that in a clinical trial you get the next great advance, early and free. That happens just enough to keep the dream alive. More often than not you end up with a meal voucher you forgot to use because experimental drug only gave you diarrhea and you had to rush home.

  4. #3014
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    42,140

    Default

    "Stimulus checks are the economic equivalent of drinking your own piss for survival. You can do it, and it might help at first. Even though fresh water from a river is available to you, you continue to hydrate yourself by means of your recycled urine because you fear you may contract a parasite from the river water. All despite the fact that you know you can easily take precautions by boiling the river water, you continue on in madness until your vital organs give way and you die a painful and meaningless death."

  5. #3015
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    394

    Default

    "What you actually know is not necessarily what you know"

    China has officially become one of the three nations from Orwell's 1984. This statement was from a propaganda campaign aimed at western audiences.

    Our best strategy to protect our rights domestically is to focus on the comparison with communist China. We do not want to live like them or under them. Fear is the most powerful tool in influencing public opinion; Fear of the realities of China will outweigh fear of the virus.

  6. #3016
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "Stimulus checks are the economic equivalent of drinking your own piss for survival. You can do it, and it might help at first. Even though fresh water from a river is available to you, you continue to hydrate yourself by means of your recycled urine because you fear you may contract a parasite from the river water. All despite the fact that you know you can easily take precautions by boiling the river water, you continue on in madness until your vital organs give way and you die a painful and meaningless death."
    That is why I have decided to spend my stimulus money on something that counters the effects of the virus.... training, civil disobedience, firearms, anti-surveillance measures etc.

  7. #3017
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    If you want to see a real MILF, look up South Dakota's governor.
    'cause she lifts weights?


  8. #3018
    Noah Ebner's Avatar
    Noah Ebner is offline Owner, Starting Strength Los Angeles
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Yucaipa
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "meaningless death."
    Interesting concept.

  9. #3019
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    That is why I have decided to spend my stimulus money on something that counters the effects of the virus.... training, civil disobedience, firearms, anti-surveillance measures etc.
    Guns and drugs. Yeah buddy

  10. #3020
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    399

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    [B]WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT STRIKES DOWN GOVERNOR EVER'S STAY-AT-HOME ORDER[B][B][B] This is very interesting....basically they are saying that a Governor does have very broad emergency powers , but that an "emergency " is an imminent and IMMEDIATE threat..in others words its a [B]right now[B] phenomena...time limited. The longer the emergency lasts the less compelling is the governors emergency power...you can't call something an emergency and discuss actions in the future..you can't have an emergency that also is never ending as that would create the ability of governors to create a dictatorship.

    I think this is a profound decision and interpretation that is saying, yes, emergencies do happen and must be responded too, immediately, but as they last then the power of executives can't go on forever, the longer it goes on the more legislatures now have the time frames to adopt laws to address the situation...you can't rule by emergency decree forever.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •