starting strength gym
Page 308 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2082582983063073083093103183584088081308 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Infuriating. Are there enough Oregonians willing to stand for their rights and the rights of their fellow man?

Is there any quotes (from Fauci or others at his level) and/or studies that state masks do not have effectiveness or prevent anything? I can't find any.

Thanks.

(I did see the surgeon general's tweet a while ago about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    closed the pools all summer,
    They don't chlorinate the pools?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    This fucking vicious bitch is the governor of a United State? You people who elected her should be ashamed of your vote, and the recall petition should already be full.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Which is great, but it doesn’t mean anything if they don’t know it.
    They knew it. I was ratted out repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I opine that those who have stayed open or re-opened did not do so "to make a statement."
    I didn't stay open to make a statement. Had I intended to do that, I would have made a statement about it, which I didn't. I just stayed open, because it's not their business to close, and they can all go get fucked. The last thing I would ever do is go to the media with anything -- I learned about that a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

This fucking vicious bitch is the governor of a United State? You people who elected her should be ashamed of your vote, and the recall petition should already be full.

They knew it. I was ratted out repeatedly.

I didn't stay open to make a statement. Had I intended to do that, I would have made a statement about it, which I didn't. I just stayed open, because it's not their business to close, and they can all go get fucked. The last thing I would ever do is go to the media with anything -- I learned about that a long time ago.
    Mark, they know you have a loyal following and a platform, so they might intimidate, but they don’t want to stir up a hornets nest of support this early in the game. They are too cowardly for that. However, when they do this again, it becomes easier to clamp down on dissidents. At some point you will have to fight, either now, or later. Popular businesses with high profile entrepreneurs provide a rallying point for dissent, they will also quickly become prime targets for the authorities in the next round, if this develops as I believe it will. I’m sure you’ve had figured that out quite some time ago anyway.

Default What we are funding in the UK

Might be of interest to some:

Join the Legal Challenge to the UK Govt Lockdown

Simon is a wealthy businessman and multimillionaire, he is also an objectivist and had decided to bring this case himself. He estimated it would cost £700K and was prepared to fully fund it alone until it was suggested others might want to contribute to the fight. Probably won’t result in any prosecutions, but the idea is to highlight that their is a pool of dissent.

Speaking of the privacy podcast from last week, I thought you all might find this interesting: Senate votes to allow FBI access to your browsing history without a warrant.

. The last thing I would ever do is go to the media with anything -- I learned about that a long time ago.
    Curious if there's a good story that served as the learning lesson?

Thanks for the podcast yesterday, it was refreshing to hear the frustration directly from an attorney. This whole shit storm has actually inspired me to start using my brain again and begin studying for the LSAT.

On another note, I cancelled my gym membership last week. They did nothing for the community, and asked me to stop posting messages about how they should open. I have no wish to support a business that doesn't feel it should fight to stay in business.

I also have no wish to remain friends with people who've advocated for the lockdown. This is sad, but I see no way around it. Those who finger wag are the enemy, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Is there any quotes (from Fauci or others at his level) and/or studies that state masks do not have effectiveness or prevent anything? I can't find any.

Thanks.

(I did see the surgeon general's tweet a while ago about it.)
    Yes.

"Although our study suggests that community use of face masks is unlikely to be an effective control policy for seasonal respiratory diseases, adherent mask users had a significant reduction in the risk for clinical infection."

Face Mask Use and Control of Respiratory Virus Transmission in Households

Newer research.

"Our findings indicate that surgical masks can efficaciously reduce the emission of influenza virus particles into the environment in respiratory droplets, but not in aerosols."

"We also demonstrated the efficacy of surgical masks to reduce coronavirus detection and viral copies in large respiratory droplets and in aerosols (Table 1b). This has important implications for control of COVID-19, suggesting that surgical face masks could be used by ill people to reduce onward transmission."

Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks | Nature Medicine

There's actually a decent amount out there. Both of those were readily available through Google. Just curious, but why are you intent on finding research that say masks don't work instead of looking for research on the topic and drawing your own conclusions based on the findings presented?

starting strength coach development program
    Ooooh, I'll take this one. I'm serving on my HOA Board of Directors, and it has been the most thankless job I've ever had (and I've had to pick candy bar wrappers out of a porta-shitter with my bare hands).

In our state, DHEC had been on an ever-advancing march to subject those in their domain to their will - for the good of the people. All but one meat processor had shut down, already, because no one could afford to sustain their overbearing requirements, regulations and policies. I've already received notice from my barber that they've already completed the state-mandated NEW requirements for sanitary practice, and if I violate any of the guidelines for customers I will be permanently blacklisted as a client so that my barber doesn't lose their license.

For the neighborhood pool, though? The state has issued a very large new list of regulations, requirements and guidelines. Except they aren't "required," per se, but they'll inspect for it. But they won't use state or local resources to enforce it, probably. But they'll still inspect for it, and maybe they won't fine us? Maybe.

The HOA has a yearly operating budget in the realm of a quarter million, and was just left deep in the hole for reserves and an artificially low yearly dues rate because of the developers. They set us up for disaster BEFORE COVID-19, but hey... they sold all of the lots and houses they wanted to... so there's that. The Board had already started recontacting services and adjusting what we covered to either save money or do more with the budget we had. The first one we eliminated was the "pool attendant" company. They were expensive, and all they did was occasionally change the soap or fish a chair out of the community pool. Most of them were lazy college kids who sat next to the pool on their phone for a couple of hours before moving onto the next community pool they were "responsible" for (and probably had more comfortable chairs).

Now, we have to sanitize pool equipment, hand rails, gates, you name it... after every use. Well, maybe, but maybe just once a day. But you SHOULD do it after every use. Doesn't matter if it's smooth, white plastic bathed in UV radiation, 90% humidity and 85* temps for 14 hours a day. Safety is important. Not important enough for the state to help pay for their requirements or to enforce them, but damned important, guys.

That's not why we're remaining closed, though. We're remaining closed because EVERY insurance company has clauses in their policies to ensure that, should the association be sued for SARS-COV-2 related disease or death, we won't be covered. The state won't help. We'll be scrutinized for every single "recommendation" that we did not adhere to. Whether the legal costs for defense or a judgement against us, the special assessments to our members will enormous and STILL instantly bankrupt the association into the foreseeable future and decimate home values before the first day in court.

I'm insisting that, when we send out the mailer and email, we include a full list, from city to federal, of all of the representatives and elected officials for this area. And if any more poker games or pool parties in the neighborhood pop up... I'm still going. My fiduciary duties as a Board member, though, are to protect the investments of the homeowners into the common and personal properties, and I cannot use it as a political activity agency.

And then I'm going to move to Texas... or South Dakota... or somewhere that isn't living under a boot heel. Because fuck these people.