starting strength gym
Page 318 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2182683083163173183193203283684188181318 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Depends on whether their employees were drawing unemployment or not.
    My initial response was touché. But then I got distracted by some nonsense and this got the chance to sit at the back of my mind. I argue most business owners have family or close friends that they could call upon for a short while to help with customer demand. Also, customer demand would be low at first and probably easily managed by the owner alone. But with the opportunity and ability there, people would ultimately come forth. Just like they did to the restaurants when they were only offering take out.

Another thing to consider is that with a large enough of a united front the state may be forced to reconsider their position. Such a situation happened in Maine where the owner of Sunday River Brewing got rowdy and went on the news to publicly call out the governor and open in defiance. And now restaurants were allowed (hahaha, that word) to reopen yesterday. Sunday River has been restored all of their licenses and had remained open anyways throughout the rest of that period. Luckily, he was a large influencer in the community beforehand and already gained a certain amount of power/sway, one might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    I’ll second that motion. Not sure why the hate towards him is so strong.
    It's the pig-headed attachment to the supposed details of the disease that pisses us off. Like the mask thing: it has one purpose only -- it signals obedience. But I agree, he has become more reasonable recently -- he seems to understand now that the bigger problems are outside the hospitals in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    I’ll second that motion. Not sure why the hate towards him is so strong.
    Yes.

Reminds me of the scene in The Saint where young Val Kilmer is sawing through the lock on the food pantry with a small file. The kids are impatient and yelling at him to hurry. He doesn’t flinch and patiently keeps sawing, and sawing. Then finally he silently steps back, swings open the gate, and the kids rush in cheering! He stands quietly by, satisfied.

What I think we have with Shiva is an apparently tedious patience with the facts.

But the truth will set you free. It’s worth the wait.

Obviously, not everyone takes as many steps to the trust as others.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingoDeFranc View Post

Sunday River has been restored all of their licenses and had remained open anyways throughout the rest of that period.
    The license thing is an angle I think the states are using/will use to suppress people. I see a massage therapist from time to time when I aggravate my neck. I was finally able to see her today. We talked about her being "allowed" to work and she's as fed up as anyone. She wanted to open regardless, but the licensing board let all the massage therapists in my state know that they'd revoke their licenses if caught giving "illicit massages," which include "out of phase massages."

I completely understand her predicament as she's a single mother scared to lose her licenses. She's also been forced into a position in which she couldn't work for two months. It's a lose/lose for her and it's disgusting to think about.

P.S. - I'm really annoyed by the amount of quotes I have to type lately to encompass the language changes being forced upon us: illicit <activity>, out of phase <activity>, allowed to <activity>.

It reminds me of a saying I heard once:You know how you're about to get screwed? They change the name of something and try to explain the benefits of the change. Like "Traditional pension" being replaced with "portable pension" or "squat" replaced with "goblet squat." There's a reason the language has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    and it becomes clear that the world's economy has been gutted by either absolute fools or terribly evil men.
    Terribly evil men and women conspiring against us.

I will be sure to ask my doctor to what he is being "obedient" the next time he wears a mask. Perhaps it signals the obvious idea that spreading the virus to others needlessly is not the right of any person. You want to smoke? Do so where your smoke does not affect anyone else. You want to breathe? Yes, breathe, in environments where transmission is likely? You wear a mask, even if you've tested negative, since false negatives are common, and since you can shed the virus even when you show no symptoms, unlike the often inappropriately cited influenza. Nobody says one has to care about their fellow man, but one doesn't get to ignore the basic right to be free of one's ignorance.

You may be a good disciple, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Like that "overwhelm the health care system" bullshit in your earlier post, you look really ignorant to those of us that have been following this closely.

Now, time for beddie-bye.

All of the fury at the "state" and the "government" should puzzle most people. Are we not a democratic republic, with the right to vote to choose our leaders, and to replace them through our votes when we see fit? Are not our laws, including those that wisely enable emergency declarations by the elected executives, passed by our legislators, upon whom we also vote by right, and who we have the right to replace as well?

Most of us, if we understand our country, internalized Lincoln's words sometime around the 4th grade, that we have a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people." And we also have learned, through years of covering our ears at the howls of frustration from those too lazy or uninterested to invest in the hard work of genuine citizenship, that the loudest and angriest voices are seldom the wisest ones.

I remain waiting patiently for a fact to support your invective. Your writing on strength training suggests you know the concept well. I have learned a lot from your writing, and am hopeful that facts will enter your discussion. If I want angry, fact-free abuse, I imagine I can find it on any street corner, usually from someone waving a bottle.

As of now, there are 3179 posts in this thread. I can't read them for you. Get busy.

starting strength coach development program
    A Scottish Warning

I am a long time Starting Strength student and reader of the forum. I have not chosen to participate until now in terms of the strength related topics as I have much more to learn then to contribute.

There are some developments in Scotland that I think you may all find interesting. For context, I live in the North East of Scotland in an area known for political purposes as 'Grampian'. Historically known as Speyside, the area has the highest concentration of whisky distilleries in Scotland. As of 20 May 2020:

1. Scottish lockdown is currently on day #57. The majority of businesses are shut - any deemed 'none essential' - no end in sight.
    2. For the majority of this time, we were permitted to leave the house only for exercise (1/day) or food shopping.
    3. It is illegal to meet with anyone outside your immediate household.
    4. It is illegal to attend the funeral of a friend or none immediate family (unless they have no close family members attending).
    5. Police have power to detain anyone they suspect of being infectious
    6. The Scottish Government are currently introducing a new 'hate bill', which will include 'stirring up hatred' as an offence. Transphobia features prominently. Obviously this is not front page news. It should be.

Grampian population: 261470
    Grampian coronavirus conformed cases: 1206 (0.46%)
    Grampian deaths (stats available to 13 May): 187 (0.071%)

The USA/New York centred approach is mirrored completely in the UK and Scotland - policies that might make sense London, Edinburgh and Glasgow rolled out to the rest of the country, freedom be damned.

Scotand was the birthplace of Adam Smith. The ruling SNP have more in common with Pol Pot in terms of their approach unfortunately.