starting strength gym
Page 324 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2242743143223233243253263343744248241324 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since we’ve begun tracking deaths from COVID-19, does anyone know how many respiratory deaths have been attributed to the flu since, say, February 15th?

I ask because according to the CDC web site:

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates | CDC

“The number of hospitalizations estimated so far this season is lower than end-of-season total hospitalization estimates for any season since CDC began making these estimates.

I guess no one dying from respiratory illnesses is doing so from the flu anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You left out urban and rural.
    Or we could just get down to what this unconventional war is really about: globalism versus nationalism

Those unelected globalists have youtube: six ways to sunday to get back at you

Just look at the lock-step control the globalists have over our "American" media! We are a conquered people if Americans don't see that our media is foreign (trans-national) controlled propaganda.

I believe this Youtube: Plandemic (Event 21: Sept, 2019) is forcing Americans to wake up as the tyranny is no longer subtle.

Most of us are being crushed financially, but perhaps we'll get our country back....if enough wake up from the media's control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And as the stats accumulate, it becomes apparent that the response to the "crisis" was the actual problem, since the response was absolutely wrong: Horowitz: One chart exposes the lie behind universal lockdowns - Conservative Review
    This is really important - make sure you read this link.

Over here in New Zealand, the virus has been pretty much stamped out. Noting that we had strong restrictions for 7 weeks and started from a very low number of cases. With 35 active cases (from a population of 5 million) we still have strong social distancing rules in place - gatherings limited to 10 etc, though almost all businesses are open again.

From 1209 cases in people under 60 we had no fatalities. Of course undiagnosed cases will push the fatality rates lower. The high rates for older population relate to an outbreak in a rest care facility with a lot of co-morbidities.

Age Group Active Recovered Deceased Total Percent fatality
    0 to 9 1 35 36 0.000%
    10 to 19 2 119 121 0.000%
    20 to 29 5 353 358 0.000%
    30 to 39 6 223 229 0.000%
    40 to 49 4 216 220 0.000%
    50 to 59 2 243 245 0.000%
    60 to 69 3 172 3 178 1.685%
    70 to 79 3 67 7 77 9.091%
    80 to 89 7 16 7 30 23.333%
    90+ 2 3 4 9 44.444%
    Total 35 1447 21 1503

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    Still, I'm curious - do you think only the old and sick are at risk?
    https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*A..._IPp_f3msg.png

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*f...nABXIlwpRw.png

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*C...fA2fa-hpCQ.png

What do you think?

If it were everyone from children to the healthiest of the healthy, would you then follow regulations? If you wouldn't then there's no need to make the argument about who is at risk.
    If everyone were actually at risk, there would be no need to make sillyass regulations, self-preservation being what it is. And we're proud of you for taking care of your household staff. Lots of us cannot now afford that luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    “The number of hospitalizations estimated so far this season is lower than end-of-season total hospitalization estimates for any season since CDC began making these estimates.

I guess no one dying from respiratory illnesses is doing so from the flu anymore?
    Pretty damned funny. They think we don't notice things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TDinBristol View Post
    If my law books are still correct, we follow these until such time they're declared illegal, or we risk penalty.
    Some of us will risk penalty.

Or....its because we all know previously healthy people who died from the disease.
    How many previously healthy people do you know that have died from COVID-19?

[QUOTE=Mark Rippetoe;1773354][QUOTE=muntz;1773321]Still, I'm curious - do you think only the old and sick are at risk?

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*A..._IPp_f3msg.png

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*f...nABXIlwpRw.png

https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*C...fA2fa-hpCQ.png

What do you think?

If everyone were actually at risk, there would be no need to make sillyass regulations, self-preservation being what it is. And we're proud of you for taking care of your household staff. Lots of us cannot now afford that luxury.
    actually. its not a luxury, but a requirement: both parents work, yet incomes are highly variable. in 2018 one of us (me) barely earned more than the nanny.

[QUOTE=Mark Rippetoe;1773354]
    How many previously healthy people do you know that have died from COVID-19?
    i know 4 under 65. Seemed healthy. No idea of their blood pressure, whether they had GERD, etc.

I don't know a single person. And I know lots of people. Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know a single person. And I know lots of people. Where do you live?
    New York City....... so, obviously that colors my judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    “They” meaning those that want to control the masses are winning, and “they” aren’t always on the same side of an issue. But “they” are expert at separating us into smaller groups by driving wedges between us... and it’s even happening in this thread. On this relatively unknown forum.

Wedges being driven between:
    Race
    Wealth
    Political party
    Fat & thin
    Strong & weak
    Civil Liberties vs lockdowns
    Educated vs less educated
    Masks and no masks
    Antibodies vs no antibodies
    Self reliance vs reliance on the government
    2nd Amendment vs Gun control

We’re all going to lose, and lose big (meaning death and destruction) unless we figure out how come together, and resist the wedges...

I have little to no faith in that happening. That’s where the worst part of this will/is manifesting itself.
    Makes impassioned appeal for unity against "them", whoever "they" may be.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    Great point Mark, that’s a huge one as urban voters with different needs, seem to trample on rural ways of life.
    Immediately drives own wedge and impugns the motivations of an "opposing" group of voters.

Maybe that wasn't your intent, but "trample on rural ways of life" makes it sound like you're ascribing intent. As an urban voter, albeit in a different country, I think I can speak for most of us when I assure you we don't go to the ballot box looking to screw over the country folk.

I'm not looking to pick on you, and apologies in advance if it comes off that way. These two posts coming from the same person just seemed to highlight how difficult it is to navigate these many fault lines that are ripe for wedge driving. Everybody would love unity, as long as unity perfectly aligns with their personal philosophy, worldview, and needs. Heaven forbid they find some common ground with people that have different philosophies, worldviews, and needs.

I just think a lot of the back and forth in this thread is coming from extremes, and that the best way to find unity is usually somewhere between the binaries you pointed to in the first post. I'm just going to pick an easy one, like self reliance vs. reliance on the government. I'm in Canada, and I'm cool with our government provided healthcare. I work for a small business, and certainly don't expect the government to provide me with everything I could ever possibly need. Which side am I on? Many on both sides conflate political beliefs with morality, and we've seen many examples of it in this very thread. Hell, somehow we've seen "pro lockdown" people be called both slaves and tyrants. Doesn't leave much room for common ground when people consider those who disagree with them over something as fuzzy as the role of government in society as literally evil, as we've seen a few times in this thread.

I just think some of the rhetoric and "us vs. them" stuff is getting out of hand and is misdirected. I appreciate that you pointed out that "they" exist on both sides of the political spectrum, and I think that ultimately most of "us" live somewhere in the middle of it, or even on different sides depending on the issue. Let's just try not to forget that.

I'm not quoting anyone specific since multiple people have tried to use seatbelts, drunk driving, etc as justification for lockdowns, but if you are one of these people:

The Fraud of Seat-Belt Laws - Foundation for Economic Education

Seatbelt laws, helmet laws, airbag laws, whatever, are mostly the work of insurance company lobbying and market forces. People had a huge problem with these laws when they first appeared. Skull-cracking and social pressure were the only way they were eventually accepted. There was never a magical moment where the whole country came together and decided that everyone needed to strap a webbed belt across their sternum. Saying that "the government legislated seatbelt use so they are allowed to declare businesses essential/nonessential" is a red-herring nonsense. The government took advantage of the population's ignorance and fear to enforce those laws, just like now. If anything it's an argument to resist the lockdown, since the risk is that these kind of orders will be the norm everytime a new virus strain appears.

(As an aside, it's the same thing with building codes. Some rules in the National Electric Code makes complete sense. Any competent electrician would run his wires correctly without knowing there was a code about it. Other rules are so nonsensical that the only explanation winds up being a freak accident that an insurance company has over-compensated for. Builders, mechanics, and tradesmen generally don't stay in business if the do their job poorly, code or no code. Business licenses and building codes are used to create and maintain monopolies and cartels.)

On a happier note, the Ohio courts struck down the Gov. DeWine's royal decree about gym closures. I'll squat tomorrow morning at 0500 for the first time in over two months .

starting strength coach development program
    I can't believe I didn't think to go back and re-watch this until now. I remember very vividly kicking back on my couch ready to watch that night's nationally televised game. Keep in mind in the NBA, there are only 2 nights per week that games make either TNT or ESPN, otherwise it's just local network coverage. Just as refresher, this was when Italy and our impending doom was being forced down our throats. The following went down on ESPN's prime time slot:

YouTube

The game was cancelled because Rudy Gobert, the Jazz player reportedly tested positive for Covid-19. A couple days earlier at a press conference, he mocked the the seriousness of the brand new 6 foot distancing rule for NBA reporters:

YouTube

Because of Gobert's positive test, the NBA then postponed its entire season which set into motion the media hysteria and the idea that everybody should be shutting down.

Coincidences? Those announcers made damn sure to keep driving home the point that they had no idea what was going on.